Am I Doing This Right?

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 26 Mar 2008 , 9:54pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 12

So I have another thread going about a wedding cake order I have coming up. I have a few different sizes that I am contemplating using for this bride, but I'm not sure if I'm charging this right? I charge $1.50 a serving and for a three tier round cake I'm looking at $174.00, if I do a four tier round cake, I'm only looking at a $3.00 difference, $177.00. Does this seem right, or am I way off on this? I know people have said I am charging much to low and maybe I am, but I am not concerned with that, just the overall picture, if that makes sense. If I'm doing this right those prices are fine with me. I just didn't know if there should be more then a $3.00 difference when adding on a whole extra layer of cake.

11 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 12

What size tiers are you using for each? That can't be right, unless you are using smaller tiers for the 4 tier cake.

I'm going to chime in and just say that yes, you are charging too little per serving!!!! icon_smile.gif You deserve more!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 12

So you are saying on your four tier cake you are getting only two more slices for $3.00 more then your three tier quote? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif What size tins are your using for both?

Somethings is wrong in Denmark. Lets refigure it. I would re-add the number of slices you get in each tier again.

TheCakerator Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 12

thanks you guys ... I am using the wilton serving size as my guide .. here is what I have (and I do not plan on using the top tier on either cake, that will be their anniversary cake)

6in round, 10in round, and 14in round - 116 servings X $1.50 = $174.00
6in round, 8in round, 10in round, and 12in round - 118 serv. X $1.50 = $177

For square cakes I have come up with
6in sq., 8in sq., and 10in sq. -82 servings X $1.50 = 123.00
6in sq., 9in sq., and 12in sq. - 112 servings X $1.50 = 168.00

again, the 6in cakes will not be counted in servings, saving that for anniv.

thanks for any help!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 12

Ahhhhh yes, you are using smaller tins........

Edited to add: I charge $3.50 per slice for BC and that is without anything fancy dancy added! You're too cheap and you are giving away your product.

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 12

If you charge by the serving then yes you would only be making $3.00 extra dollars for the 4 tier over the 3 tier (with those sizes you stated).

I don't know the prices in your area, but I would call around to other bakeries and/or grocery stores that do wedding cakes and inquire about their prices. Then you can get a closer going rate (you don't want to give the cake away) and believe me the bride has done her homework and will know if she's getting it for next to nothing.

Wedding cakes take alot more time than people think and if you are spending alot of time and not being compensated you will get very resentful and frustrated. I have been there.

TheCakerator Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 12

well there really are no bakeries around this area, other then our wal mart and a close competitor grocery store .. I know that $1.50 is a lot lower then the going rate, but I have not been doing this for very long, and almost every single person who orders cakes from me, are either close family, or friends. I know a lot of people are saying "so, charge more anyways!" Maybe in time I will raise my prices but for now I am ok with them at this price. But I do thank you guys for taking the time to help me figure this out!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 4:29pm
post #8 of 12

6in round, 10in round, and 14in round - 116 servings X $1.50 = $174.00
6in round, 8in round, 10in round, and 12in round - 118 serv. X $1.50 = $177
6in sq., 8in sq., and 10in sq. -82 servings X $1.50 = 123.00
6in sq., 9in sq., and 12in sq. - 112 servings X $1.50 = 168.00

I find one slight difference in your figures - the 4 tier cake serves 120 so the total would be $180.

One can't look at just how many tiers of cake offered.......you must look at how many servings total and what look you want.
I much prefer the 14, 10, 6 look. The 6,8,10,12 look is tall and skinny - not my cup of teaicon_sad.gif

TheCakerator Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 12

kakeladi, are you talking about the 6,8,10, and 12in rounds serving 120? My math is still coming out to 118. Am I missing something? I think I prefer the look of the 6, 10, and 14in rounds too .. It looks much more balanced ..

TheCakerator Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 7:51pm
post #10 of 12

Ok, so I've been thinking .. that with the prices I stated, that don't include the top tier, I guess because I was charging per serving, and they aren't going to serve the top tier so I did not add that into the total .. how do you include that? Do you still charge for the servings, even though it won't be cut up at the wedding? I don't want to give it away for free, but I'm not sure how you add it in to the total ...

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 9:13pm
post #11 of 12

My anniversary cakes are always free, but if you want to charge just figure up the servings they need for their guests without the top and then before you do the math add the servings for the 6" then multiply that total by the price per serving and that is what they pay.

For a CYA and for your own sanity you should really write up a type of contract or order form to fill out so that both parties (you and them) have a copy so noone gets confused on what is being made and prices and delivery information. If you want to see a copy of the one I use just email me and I'll send it to you.

TheCakerator Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 9:54pm
post #12 of 12

thanks .. I would like to see a copy of your contract, I was just thinking I should have something like that ... so, I guess if she wants to go with the three tier cake, that would serve 116, instead of charging her $174.00, once I add on the 6in, it would be $192.00 .. I guess I could give them the 6in for free .. I just don't know what to do .. she's coming over saturday morning, and now I'm working myself into major stress mode!!!

[email protected]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%