Extracts & Flavors

Decorating By Briniga Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 8:30pm by Briniga

Briniga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briniga Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 30

Is extract (like banana, vanilla etc) the same thing as the flavorings you find at stores that sell cake supplies like hobby lobby etc?

29 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 30

An extract consists of a certain percentage of true essence, or its chemical imitation, in an alcoholic solution......The aromatic principles of many spices, nuts, herbs, fruits, etc., and some flowers, are thus marketed, among the best known of true extracts being almond, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, lemon, nutmeg, orange, peppermint, pistachio, rose, spearmint, vanilla, violet, and wintergreen.

American Heritage Dict. difines 'flavoring': A substance, such as an extract or spice, that imparts flavor.

So I guess everyone can agree the are one and the same.
I always thought there was a difference. To me a flavoring has less strength - is weaker than extract.

Briniga Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 30

Oh ok, thanks for the help

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 30

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing the definition, kakeladi.

positivethinkingtina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
positivethinkingtina Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 30

Hi, Brit. I use them interchangeably.

Briniga Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 30

Hey, is this Tina my aunt?

positivethinkingtina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
positivethinkingtina Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 30

Yep. Did you post the picture of the cake you did for Grandma and Grandpa's anniversary?

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 11:15pm
post #8 of 30

If you are talking about an emulsion it is much stronger than an extract. I also prefer using an emulsion or extract. Imitation flavorings are made with things I'd rather not eat, but I do use imitation almond in the icing for my friend's daughter with a peanut allergy...

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 11:21pm
post #9 of 30

I use emulsions they are stronger and taste better to me. I love the flavor after they are baked they really hold up well to the heat.

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 12:11am
post #10 of 30

In my non-scientific world Iâve always thought âextractsâ are based on the real thing â vanilla, almond, lemon, etc., while âflavoringsâ are chemical attempts to reproduce itâ¦

foxymomma521 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 12:13am
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by shisharka

In my non-scientific world Iâve always thought âextractsâ are based on the real thing â vanilla, almond, lemon, etc., while âflavoringsâ are chemical attempts to reproduce itâ¦

Well put, I agree thumbs_up.gif

Briniga Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 12:18am
post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by positivethinkingtina

Yep. Did you post the picture of the cake you did for Grandma and Grandpa's anniversary?

Yes I did, look at my photos on here

Briniga Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 12:18am
post #13 of 30
Quote:

Briniga Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 12:19am
post #14 of 30
Quote:

Briniga Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 12:20am
post #15 of 30
Quote:

Briniga Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 12:22am
post #16 of 30

Sorry it was messing up, I didnt mean to send it that many times...haha

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 12:51am
post #17 of 30

Positivethinkingtina, hurry up and look at your neice's photos before her computer explodes!!!

icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gif (Just a joke, due to the repeat postings)

Briniga Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 12:52am
post #18 of 30

Hahahaha

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 3:09am
post #19 of 30

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself! icon_wink.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 5:01am
post #20 of 30

Interesting question because I bought a huge bottle of vanilla flavoring, thinking I was getting a deal on vanilla. It's 32 oz and was the same price as the little dinky bottle of McCormick vanilla. I got it home and realized the difference and haven't used it for anything yet. The ingredient lists are only different by like one ingredient and so I'm still confused as to the difference between the extract and flavoring!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 5:29am
post #21 of 30

I LOVE my almond emulsion. It has such a great flavor and smell. I also use it a lot when I paint on a cake. It's kind of thick, so I find that for some things it mixed with gel color makes a nice paint. I also use the lemon emulsion and it's great too.

Briniga Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 5:39am
post #22 of 30

Well I bought a big bottle of vanilla imitation & used that in place of vanilla extract, it seemed fine

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 6:17am
post #23 of 30

okay now am really confused... so i don't really need to get the flavorings? the extracts are available here, all kinds of them and they're relatively cheaper. I've used them too and they taste good.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:16am
post #24 of 30

I have been trying all different brands of Raspberry Extract, my biggest seller. I always come back to McCormick. If anyone knows of any brands where it comes in a size bigger than 1 oz, please let me know. Thanks

C-Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
C-Lady Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 11:45am
post #25 of 30

My neighbor is from Grenada, and she just brought me back some pear essence and vanilla essence, is this the same as an extract too? Apparently in Grenada it's not required to list ingredients on packages, so I have no way of knowing what they consist of. However, she said that essences are all they use and that they give the best and strongest flavorings.

vtjilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtjilly Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 1:56pm
post #26 of 30

This may be a stupid question, but I haven't had all of my caffeine yet this morning:

If you use Almond Extract or Emulsion in a cake, would affect people with nut allergies?

lynm701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynm701 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 2:38pm
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtjilly

This may be a stupid question, but I haven't had all of my caffeine yet this morning:

If you use Almond Extract or Emulsion in a cake, would affect people with nut allergies?

Not a stupid question at all. I am actually wondering the same thing. I have a niece with a nut allergy. Is it ok to use imitation almond flavoring for people with nut allergies?

foxymomma521 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 3:16pm
post #28 of 30

Imitation vanilla extract is made from vanillin, a product extracted from conifer wood pulp. I have read that imitation almond is safe for people with nut allergies, and I do us it in my icing for a friend with nut allergies without a problem. An extract or emulsion is NOT safe and should not be given to someone with an allergy icon_smile.gif

lynm701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynm701 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 8:17pm
post #29 of 30

Thank you so much for the info Foxymomma!!

Briniga Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 8:30pm
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by toleshed

I have been trying all different brands of Raspberry Extract, my biggest seller. I always come back to McCormick. If anyone knows of any brands where it comes in a size bigger than 1 oz, please let me know. Thanks

Where do u get rasberry extract? I find the flavorings are cheaper but smaller & i can get them at like hobby lobby or larry's they have so much more variety. Ive only seen at the grocerys stores vanilla, lemon, banana extract? Where can u find the rest??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%