Can I Refrigerate A Cake With Air Dried Buttercream Roses?

Decorating By PattyT Updated 23 Mar 2008 , 7:48pm by MOBOGAL

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 9

Just tried my first batch of Air Dried Buttercream roses for an Easter Basket cake (I know, predictable...but classic). I like the ADBC very much and the roses came out nice. They are dried now on my counter, with the cake in the fridge with it's basketweave.

I'd like to keep the cake refrigerated, but don't want to be putting flowers on last minute. The instructions for ADBC were very specific about not freezing or refrigerating.

Can I put them on top and keep the cake refrigerated till closer to serving?

Thanks in advance.
Pat

8 replies
MOBOGAL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MOBOGAL Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 9

Hi,

You can definitely refrigerate the finished flowers on the cake. The reason the recipe is specific about the fridge, is b/c the flowers won't dry properly in the fridge (they need the dry air). But once they're dry, they can certainly survive the fridge. I've used this recipe many times and always refrigerated the finished cake with no probs. I hope that helps!

PattyT Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBOGAL

Hi,

You can definitely refrigerate the finished flowers on the cake. The reason the recipe is specific about the fridge, is b/c the flowers won't dry properly in the fridge (they need the dry air). But once they're dry, they can certainly survive the fridge. I've used this recipe many times and always refrigerated the finished cake with no probs. I hope that helps!

Yes - it helps a TON.

thankyouthankyouthankyou MOBOGAL!

I have so much else to do this afternoon, I'd like to get the cake out of the way.

Thanks again!
Pat

MOBOGAL Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 9

My pleasure icon_smile.gif I LOVE that recipe...I'm not a big royal icing fan, and you can use the ADBC recipe to make all of the course 2 flowers and they dry firm with no problem. The violet cake in my pics is with this recipe, and even they were fine with the BC instead of RI. Plus, I think it tastes good icon_smile.gif Good luck with your cake, I hope you post the finished pic!

MOBOGAL Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 9

Oops, duplicate post icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 9

As the originator of that recipe I agree wholehartedly w/ MOBOGAL icon_smile.gif
It is important NOT to refrig **until** they had dried. Then you can.

PattyT Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks kakeladi for the GREAT recipe. Such a wonderful timesaver. Usng ADBC, I was able to do the roses during the evening last week. Then today, I just popped them on the top of the basket....and it's in the fridge now!

Really appreciate all the help. I'm sure everyone's busy. Thanks all for jumping in early today, you saved me.

p.s. mobogal, I'll take pics but not sure I'll post. First basketweave in a while (since class), and it's a little shaky. icon_redface.gif OK for family dinner though.

Pat

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 9

Can you share the recipe you used I would like it better than royal icing flowers that no one eats.

MOBOGAL Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 9

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%