I Finally Said No

Decorating By sarahnichole975 Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 6:46am by keconnell08

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 7:09am
post #1 of 24

First, my exclamation point key is broken, luckily, or this would be full of them.

So about 10;30 this morning, I get a knock on the door. It's the mother of one of DD'S school friends. I've met this lady twice. Once at DD's bday party a few months ago where she dropped her daughter AND her 4yo nephew off and left, and once at a school function. She's all in a panic, explains she's been riding around for an hour trying to remember where we live and is wondering if I am baking cakes. I tell her yes and ask her for when. Yes, here comes the sob story and the begging involving her son's surprise party THIS Saturday and how she doesn't know where to go for a custom cake and she remembered and bragged about the cake at our party and could I please. To which I tell her I'm really full for the weekend, especially since it's a holiday. More sob more begging and being the people pleasing, tenderhearted person I am....don't slap me....I give in. It's only for 40ppl, I have no orders for 10" squares, I'll do that for her. No rebaking involved. Nope not good enough, she wants an 11x15 which involves me having to bake cool bake...ugh...again...I know here come the smacks...I cave. The whole time the cake discussion is going on DD is asking for the friend to stay and play, to which I say "not today". The mother says she doesn't mind. I explain how I have to run to the store and a few other errands, to which she replys, "Oh she doesn't mind, she'll be fine." So with three sets of pleading sad eyes...DD's, friend's, and THE MOTHER'S...I cave AGAIN. Go ahead, hit me, cuz at this point I'M HITTING MYSELF. Now the kid isn't bad, she's real sweet, but still, I have three of already, so the fourth does make a difference. Half the things I want to get done, I DON'T and the mother doesn't show up to pick her daughter up until 9;15...PM...INSERT EXCLAMATIONS. Of course she arrives in another panic, with another sob story about loosing her little purse with her keys, credit card, and money in it. The keys and card were returned but $$ was gone. Now she asks if I have any chairs she can borrow because she doesn't have the $$ to pay for the ones she was renting. I explain I only have a couple and need them for myself. She collects her daughter and leaves and I MELT. At which point I realize that this woman has all but ruined my day and I REFUSE to let her ruin my holiday weekend with a cake that will be the cake to push me into, now I'm tired for Sunday. So I call her and explain that there is just no way for me to get the cake done AND prepare for Easter which I host at my house for my and DH's family. She pushed, more sob, tried to say she'd just cancelled the "other" cake, even though when I asked where she was getting it from she couldn't tell me. I continued to tell her no and she finally gave up.

I FINALLY GOT THE GUTS TO STAND MY GROUND. And lemme tell ya, it's liberating. On the side....CAN YOU BELIEVE THE GALL OF SOME PEOPLE. And I wonder what sob story I was going to get at the picking up of the cake about not having $$ to pay for the cake....?

23 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 8:21am
post #2 of 24

So glad your radar kicked in.

Be proud... be very proud.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 8:35am
post #3 of 24

Good for you!

I am sending you a cybermedal that you can proudly wear!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 8:38am
post #4 of 24

Wow, I never heard of a cybermedal before. I like that one!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

2Cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2Cupcakes Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 8:40am
post #5 of 24

I swear, I think some people live in a completely different world than the rest of us!

Good job sticking up to her. She shouldn't be pushing you into making a rush cake on a holiday like this. Her poor planning is not your problem.

And I agree, she probably would've tried to skip out on paying you also. And who knows if would've gotten the chairs back if you'd let her borrow them.

Here's some exlamation points for you!!!!!! Good Job!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 9:11am
post #6 of 24

BRAVO!!! I think we all have to get to the point where we just realize that sometimes, IT'S NOT WORTH IT! And you decided just in time, it sounds like!!

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 11:31am
post #7 of 24

I am so proud of you! After all its just cake right!! Wow don't birthdays fall on the same date every year? Amazes me how many people it just springs up on! Good for you. thumbs_up.gif

Sunspotalli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunspotalli Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:01pm
post #8 of 24

i agree you totally rock standing up to her like that

MooBars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MooBars Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:30pm
post #9 of 24

Ouch! Sounds like she does that type of stuff on a consistent basis! That type of behavior has to honed with practice @.@

Good job saying "no." Really, it's your sanity; treat it well.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:02pm
post #10 of 24

Good for you!! Wow, some people just can't seem to take responsibility for their own lives these days (I've been saying that a lot lately). We need an emoticon that shakes it's head in amazement for times like these!

I have a need to go put the Eagles song "Get Over It" on the CD player right now... icon_wink.gif

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:13pm
post #11 of 24

Good for you!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Say it with me, " A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!"

thumbs_up.gif

mbh724 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbh724 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:29pm
post #12 of 24

Good for you - I still can't believe she left you with her child for 11 hours!

sarahnichole975 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:36pm
post #13 of 24

Thanks guys. I knew my CC buds would roll their eyes on this one. And AJsgirl, what a great way to sum it up. mbh724...ME EITHER...I MEAN I WOULD NEVER. Especially someone who you really don't know. She only called once to check on her around 2;30, and said she had one more stop and she'd be on her way. That was one heck of a stop.

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:40pm
post #14 of 24

Good for you! Glad you stood your ground. The nerve of some people.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:44pm
post #15 of 24

The nerve of some people never ceases to amaze me! Congrats on standing up for yourself!!!!!

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:55pm
post #16 of 24

I agree with everyone! good job standing your ground.

Ok... its killin' me.. just gotta say one thing:

Puh-lease.... calling at 2-something saying one more errand and she will be by? I HATE hate hate when people use me for free babysitting. My niece is so sweet. An 8 year old. When my sister-in-law says she is going to hang with us for "a few hours" I have to ask her definitively nowadays "when will you be back" because she has been known to leave her all day and night while she does her thing.

Miss Manners says, never try to teach other people manners. They won't listen. But I say, if this woman comes around again with her sweet daughter, since your DD and her daughter are friends, I would find an overly-sweet way to say something like....
"My daughter does love to play with your daughter, however I need to know exactly when you will be back since last visit was too long and I was not able to take care of my personal business." then give her a good staring-mean look with it. icon_cry.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:58pm
post #17 of 24

I have relatives and friends who would do that with their kids (IF I LET THEM), but I learned a long time ago that "not today" has to mean "not today". Good for you! What a total imposition, on a holiday weekend, when you're already baking and have errands to do! To ask for a cake AND a free babysitter just amazes me. I'm SO glad for you that you told her no!

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:12pm
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by homecook

but I learned a long time ago that "not today" has to mean "not today".

<------------ YEAH!!!! What she said!!! icon_lol.gif

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:12pm
post #19 of 24

Good for you....I have a problem saying "NO" too but I'm learning.

Some people don't have a clue, they think because your are at "home"....your time doesn't matter......

practice......NO.. NO.. NO

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:30pm
post #20 of 24

I too agree with everyone else. Saying no is so much fun. icon_rolleyes.gif I am very proud of you for saying no on the cake and I totally understand how you must have felt with kid situation. Ima tell u something though, when you started talking about this woman and describing your situation I thought of my sis and I have to say I am glad to hear that you said no!!!!!!!!!! ( threw these in here just fr you) I finally said no three weeks ago and I can't stop saying no. It feels great!!!!!!! I am so gonna have me martini later this evening and i'm sendeing you and everyone out there in the world that had a proud moment like this!!!!!!! Cheers to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!( some extra just in case) icon_wink.gif

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:01pm
post #21 of 24

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif Yippie For you!! Great job you did. proud of you! thumbs_up.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:22am
post #22 of 24

Wait wait did I hear the sound of cake balls icon_wink.gif

I am soooo proud of you icon_smile.gif

(((((hugs))))))))

Christi

sarahnichole975 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:07am
post #23 of 24

LMAO @ Christi....yes I finally grew some. Bout time huh, girlie?

keconnell08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keconnell08 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 6:46am
post #24 of 24

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%