Fondant Cakes

Decorating By mama_sue Updated 19 Mar 2008 , 12:31pm by mama_sue

mama_sue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama_sue Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 9

To get a cake finished in time for a luncheon the next day, I put my fondant on the night before. The next morning the cake had shrunk and my fondant was wrinkling at the bottom. Is there a answer to this problem?

8 replies
AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 9

I have never heard of this happening before...can you give more details? How much buttercream did you have under the fondant? Did you use a tool to smooth out the fondant on the top and sides? What shape was the cake? Maybe someone can help if we have more details.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 9

I've never had that happen either. I generally fondant the day before the cake is due. Was the cake completely cool?

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 9

????? I don't know.........is it possible that the cake was not completely cooled or at least room temp before placing the fondant??? This is the only thing I can think of..............

Prudence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prudence Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 9

Yikes! That has never happened to me either! I woder if your cake was too fluffy and the weight of the fondant was too heavy??

Sorry that happened to you! icon_sad.gif

mama_sue Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 9

Actually there were 11 cakes, 4 chocolate, 4 white and 3 lemon. The request was for light and airy cakes so I thought that might have contributed to the problem. The chocolate shrunk the worst - about 1/2" where the lemon and white did some but not too bad.

They were square, two tiered. I did tier them the night before because I had to travel 30 minutes and had to have them there at 9:30 am. They were posted. 8" bottom tier, 6" top tier. I did freeze them but had them completely thawed when I iced them. There was fillings between the layers. I put a thin crusting coat of buttercreme on first, then a thicker coat - about 1/4" thick. Once I had it smoothed, I put the fondant on. If anything I tend to get a little too thin on the fondant.

The fondant was homemade - confectioner's sugar and marshmallow recipe.

My only thought is the cakes were too airy. They still were a huge hit, but it was something I noticed and would like to avoid.

I don't know if I'm complimented or not that no one else has ever had this problem! LOL! WHY ME! lol

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:55am
post #7 of 9

I think your cake was too light, too airy.

try the durable cake recipe on this site.

HTH

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 4:52am
post #8 of 9

I usually let my cakes "settle" before torting or doing any decorating. Preferrably overnight, but there have been times where I was only able to wait a few hours! Maybe they didn't have enough time for settling before you placed them in the freezer and began to do so after thawing. I don't know; just sort of thinking aloud here.

mama_sue Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 12:31pm
post #9 of 9

I think they may have been too airy, also, but if the customer asks for a light and airy cake, I try to accomodate. Is the recipe you suggested light enough?
I was reading in one of my books and there was a part that said, once you have stacked them and put the crusting buttercream on to set them in the refrigerator for at least an hour to help keep them from shrinking. Not sure how this would help, but am willing to give it a try.
I appreciate all the help. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%