Your "undernoticed Cakes" Part Ii/continued

Decorating By ceshell Updated 20 May 2012 , 3:19pm by lomikesa

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:49pm
post #331 of 778

Some times my cakes get lots of views and then some don't get very many views at all. I don't get many comments at all and even fewer favs.... Am I uploading at bad times or are they just not worth viewing or commenting? My army tank and Lightning McQueen cakes were my favs and barely even got noticed. It was discouraging.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1320534

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1306369

DLo912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DLo912 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 2:26pm
post #332 of 778

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1468380

I really thought this one would be a hit, but it doesn't even have one favorite. I feel like that happens just about every time I make a cake that I think are good, that the people I make them for just rave about and then I post them on here and just nothing. It saddens me : (

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:22pm
post #333 of 778

Here's my latest:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1484053

It got 30 views, 1 comment and 1 fav, but I was hoping for a little more attention.

TFL!

nonnyscakes Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:26pm
post #334 of 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisys_Cakes

Here's my latest:

It got 30 views, 1 comment and 1 fav, but I was hoping for a little more attention.

TFL!

I just looked at your cake. I love color. It is perfect and so are your roses. Great job! I know your mother loved it.

Daisys_Cakes Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:32pm
post #335 of 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by lees_luv

Quote:

Here's my latest:

TFL!

I just looked at your cake. I love color. It is perfect and so are your roses. Great job! I know your mother loved it.

Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:46pm
post #336 of 778

In keeping with the spirit of this thread, I have another, similar question. I have only a couple cakes in my gallery. One is a largemouth bass which I have in the wedding cake folder, simply because it was their wedding cake. Should I keep it there for best viewing or switch it to another folder? Also, do cakes generally get more viewings when they are in the contest folders or should I put a cake back into the wedding folder, or another folder if it applies? I've been struggling trying to figure this out because I too get disheartened over the lack of comments, etc. I think it's what keeps me from putting more photos in my gallery.

nonnyscakes Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:52pm
post #337 of 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

In keeping with the spirit of this thread, I have another, similar question. I have only a couple cakes in my gallery. One is a largemouth bass which I have in the wedding cake folder, simply because it was their wedding cake. Should I keep it there for best viewing or switch it to another folder? Also, do cakes generally get more viewings when they are in the contest folders or should I put a cake back into the wedding folder, or another folder if it applies? I've been struggling trying to figure this out because I too get disheartened over the lack of comments, etc. I think it's what keeps me from putting more photos in my gallery.

Not sure what to tell you about leaving or moving your cake. I am obviously not doing a very good job posting my cakes either. I do know that keywords help them show up in the searches. Other than that, I don't know.

Daisys_Cakes Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:52pm
post #338 of 778

I honestly don't think it makes a huge difference what gallery you put it in, but what does make a difference is your use of keywords. Use LOTS of keywords, that way more people will see your cake if they search for that specific keyword.

HTH!

cownsj Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:56pm
post #339 of 778

Thank you both for that advice. I'll go in and check to see what I have in that regard, and see how I can use more and/or better keywords.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:07pm
post #340 of 778

I have posted several cakes on here and only get one or two comments also. My skill is not the greatest but it is acceptable. I try to post on someones cake everytime I sign on here and if i put someones cake in my faves I have started posting something each time. I fugure if it is noce enough for me to save I should at least post a comment. I did not do this at first but then saw how many dont get comments unless you are wildly popular.

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 7:22pm
post #342 of 778

I thought the key for people seeing new cakes was them being able to see them in the newly posted cakes photos. Last night I noticed the very same cakes were there for several hours. Perfect icon_smile.gif , so I posted my turkey cake figuring it might get some exposure and I could see if that made a difference. I guess others had the same idea because my photo was off the page within just a couple minutes...... lol icon_surprised.gif

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 7:31pm
post #343 of 778

I have noticed cakes for more than a few days in the "Most Recent Photos" section. I know that allot of work goes into creating this great website and I am very appreciative, but I must be honest that this newer system of viewing new cakes or most popular cakes does not seem to be working. Allot of cakes are being missed and overlooked. Not sure why.

elizacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizacake Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 7:43pm
post #344 of 778

Here's one of mine which wasn't perfect...but I am pretty proud of it none-the-less. It has several views and a couple comments but no favs...tfl
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1516958[url]

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 7:48pm
post #345 of 778

The best way to see the latest photos is to go to Galleries and then click on Last Uploads. By going this route, you'll see pages and pages of the latest pics that have been loaded. Much better way to see the latest pics! thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 7:49pm
post #346 of 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

I do agree that many times cakes go "undernoticed" simply because they aren't interesting enough for someone to click the thumbnail....

You know, sometimes it's a matter of a poorly photographed cake too. If it isn't a bright, centered, color corrected pic, or you can see clutter in the background from the thumbnail alone....I tend not to click it. It takes very little effort to upload your pic to www.picnik.com, play around for a few minutes, hit it with better lighting, zoom in on special parts, add a nice watermark, and BAM! Nearly professional results in no time at all, from any camera, and from any level of photography skill. And it's free if you use the free version. (But the pay option unlocks a ton more effects) Just a thought.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 8:08pm
post #347 of 778

Just as an FYI... recently Jackie and Heath did away with Gallery Supporters simply because it was not being utilized the way they had envisioned in the beginning. At the time it was taken off as an option, there were well over a thousand pictures being loaded daily and only a handful of people going into the archives trying to comment on (usually) over 40 pages of uncommented cakes. Mathematically, there is just no each picture will get commented on or even noticed. Unfortunately, some of the most unappreciated cakes are often some of the best. I have found that if I bypass the home page and go into the recent uploads, I have a better view of the many days cakes that have been uploaded and a better opportunity to comment on the ones that might have slipped through the cracks.

I really don't think it's a popularity contest... there is no way to identify whose cake is in the thumbnail on the home page. It's simply a matter of something about the cake attracting the attention of a viewer.

autigger57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
autigger57 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 8:17pm
post #348 of 778

These are 2 of my favorite cakes so far. One of them only got 2 comments and the other got none...:-/. I know they aren't perfect, but to have only been making cakes for about 2 months I was really proud of them....

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1515017&sub=1515019

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1526614

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 8:24pm
post #349 of 778

I a posting a pic that I am proud of.There is very little views and only 3 comments.Do I take offense?NO!Why would you?I know my cakes aren't that great but my friends and family love them.That's all that matters to me! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

chefbarbie0513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 9:47pm
post #351 of 778

All 4 cakes are very nice, but the 2nd one particularly caught my eye. It is very realistic looking. Nice job.

chefbarbie0513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbarbie0513 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:02am
post #352 of 778

Thanks cownsj. I love your cowboy hat. that looked great

cownsj Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:05am
post #353 of 778

Thank you very much. I've done a couple of them now. The "wood" board underneath it is painted fondant. (I just added that photo in with the cowboy hat photo)

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:18am
post #354 of 778

I hardly ever get comments on my cakes, that's ok. They're getting a lot of views and I know they don't suck(they're not pro level either & that's ok too). I'm happy just having them out there, getting advise and trying to help others, I mean isn't that what we're all here for?

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:40am
post #355 of 778

Sometimes you just don't know what will catch someone's eye. Though not my most difficult cake, (my spider cake took that "honor"), the one that I am most proud of got little notice. I used many different techniques and spent many hours in mental designing and it hardly caused a blip. Then a silly plate of gum paste houseflies got all kinds of attention. So, go figure.

I know that I do love this site and glean many helpful tips from all of you and am always ready to share whatever knowledge I have. That is what this site is for; the comments are just "icing on the cake". (Hoo boy, is that ever an appropriate cliche!)

Here is my duck: (I don't know if I have attached this correctly. Not very computer literate.)

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1484737

paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula19 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:51am
post #356 of 778

I had taken a lot of time and effort doing these and I got really good feedback from my friends and family, but they didn't get as much attention here as I thought they would icon_sad.gif So here's my 2nd try...

Dog sitting up cake: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1380547

Homer on a giant donut cake: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1442315

Hand-painted fairy cake: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1516727

My 1st wedding cake, for my dad's wedding: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1529155

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:18am
post #357 of 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenleysmommy

I a posting a pic that I am proud of.There is very little views and only 3 comments.Do I take offense?NO!Why would you?I know my cakes aren't that great but my friends and family love them.That's all that matters to me! icon_biggrin.gif

Good for you, I need to think that way. I too can let it bug me...but heck at least we post our pics! Your right, your family loves it, and I can see why. Don't know how I missed that cool cake. Great job

milmil95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milmil95 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:38am
post #358 of 778

Here's one of mine. My first purse cake. Not one comment yet .. but that's OK because I love it! Not necessarily the best cake I've seen or done, but I love it because it was a lot of fun to make and the birthday girl it was meant for completely flipped over it. My sister said she had tears in her eyes she loved it so much. THAT made my day!

http://media.cakecentral.com/gallery/690874/normal_1258855052.jpg

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:40am
post #359 of 778

I don't get lots of comments either, but, where I live I am the new "thing". I don't have a facebook page but one of my friends has posted everyone of my pics on her facebook page and I'm getting calls left and right. I had a lady call me and tell me that she had a friend that saw my cakes on facebook and she just HAD to have some cupcakes made. (Those were the mummies.) I do this as a hobby and I like making a little money on the side for spending money. I don't like being too stressed about it though, it takes all of the fun out of it. So I'm limiting how many cakes I do in one week.
I am totally addicted to CC and I constantly check my phone for new emails saying I "have a comment left by _______" what fun!!!
I have noticed on mine and everyone else's pictures there's not as many comments left now as before the change.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:13am
post #360 of 778
Quote:

It has crossed my mind also. A lot of times I think when people put a cake as favorite it's not always because it's the best cake they have ever seen but rather something about it really strikes them, maybe they like the idea, the colors or it's just plain funny. But who knows, it's really unpredictable how a cake is going to be received.

I have to agree. I choose my cakes that have techniques i want to try or colors i want to try to duplicate. I dont always favorite the most amazing cakes. I save the ones that inspire me to do something new!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%