Quilling On A Cake

Decorating By YAYI95 Updated 16 Mar 2008 , 3:09pm by YAYI95

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 13

I am making a cake for my DS, and have seen a few cakes on here with quilling on them. I have no idea how to make them nor how I would attach them to cake..If anyone could help me with this I would so greatly appreciate it!!! I was trying to find the pic of the cake I seen to attach it but now cannot find it!!!!

12 replies
YAYI95 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 12:50pm
post #2 of 13

I found a picture of cake![URL: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-ph

oto_837443.html

trying to add picture but do not know how can anyone help with that too??

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 1:02pm
post #3 of 13

Hi,

I am eager to know more about quilling on a cake too!!

Your link got separated, so here it is again:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_837443.html

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 13

If it is a buttercream cake, you can just press them into the cake. If it is fondant, attach with royal icing. Also best to use a quilling tool made specifically for quilling gumpaste.

YAYI95 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 13

izzybee, thanks for the info, where can I find a quilling tool? Have you dont it before? Is it hard to do?? Oh and what do I use to make it? Gumpaste or Fondant??

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 13

see my answer here:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-579008-.html

AND

quilling tool shouldn't be needed (not to mention gumpaste/fondant couldn't be rolled thin enough to work with it) as fondant/gumpaste will stick to sell unlike paper.

just use finger to start it rolling over on itself and away you go.

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 5:04pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks Doug...I've been wanting to try this technique as well. Cheers

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 5:05pm
post #8 of 13

I get it thin enough by using a pasta machine without any problems.

saracupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracupcake Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 5:18pm
post #9 of 13

I have a sugarcraft quilling set, I live in the UK and I got it online here from http://www.apieceofcakethame.co.uk/view_products.aspx?txtSearch=Guy+Paul

It cost £5.30 and has a roller cutter that cuts seven strips at a time and a pin to twirl. it also comes with a pattern leaflet.

I use ready made flower paste (gum paste) with it and then edible glue to stick it onto the cake. It does take time to do but I love the effect.

I fell in love with the idea when I saw I_heart_pastry's cake. I have tried to find a picture of the Colette Peters cake that she mentions but I haven't managed to see it. Does anyone know if it is in one of her books? I can' see it on her website.

Sara

YAYI95 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 8:20pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks so much for all the info, I cannot wait to give it a try..

fairycakes1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairycakes1972 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:13pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by saracupcake

. I have tried to find a picture of the Colette Peters cake that she mentions but I haven't managed to see it. Does anyone know if it is in one of her books? I can' see it on her website.

Sara

It's in Cakes to Dream on, if you look on her website under Weddings it's the second cake in.

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:51pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYI95

I found a picture of cake!

I did that cake! For that one, I used a clay gun to make the flat & round strands. A pasta machine works too, but I found the clay gun to be easier. Plus I like the look of the rounded strands and with a pasta machine you'll only be able to do flat ones. I bought a dishwasher-safe plastic clay gun at Michaels for about $8. Everything on the cake is done in fondant (you can use gumpaste too). I rolled the strands into petals and pinched the ends to give the teardrop shapes. Used a damp brush to stick the pieces together, and let it all dry for several days. For the flat pieces, you need to be sure they dry with the pieces standing up vertically. Then I used royal icing to stick them to the fondant-covered cake.

Hope that helps - you're welcome to PM me with any specific questions!

Bec

YAYI95 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:09pm
post #13 of 13

Thank so much I_heart_Pastry, I dont know why I didnt think to PM you. But thanks so much for the info, im on my way to Michaels for a clay gun!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%