What A Letdown!!

Decorating By cakemommy Updated 23 Aug 2005 , 12:57pm by alracntna

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 27

For the last month or so I was under the impression I was going to be making my nephew's 2nd Birthday cake. Well, just last night my SIL informed me that I would not be and that it was tradition in her family to make their children's cakes. She and her mother are going to baking a 9x13 in cake out of a baking dish and doing a shark out of that. See, the original idea we discussed and were very excited about was doing an M&M cake. I was actually going to carve an M&M out of a sponge cake and decorate it with MMF to look like an actual M&M. Then it was changed to a shark cake. I have been researching here on CC and elsewhere these two cakes and getting very excited about doing either one.

I'm so let down now that I just want to yell and scream. She led me on and now nothing!!! Now she wants me to do cookies! Yeah yeah, that's nothing compared to doing a really cool shark cake which is what they decided on.

How do I get over this. I know I know, "just move on and get over it" but darnit. I don't get many opportunities to do cakes and I was so excited about this and now I've been reduced to doing cookies. Not that doing cookies is a bad thing but darnit!!!!! Maybe I should just blow their cake away with my cookies. If I was antonia74 then maybe I could but I'm just not that good.

HO HUM!!!

Amy

26 replies
tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 27

Hi Amy,

Sorry you are going through this. I was thinking since it is a tradition for them to do the cake ask about doing a special cake just for hime "smash cake" and you can still do the M & M only smaller. I know how dissappointed you are. But I'm sure your cookies will totally blow them away! Good luck

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 27

I know how you feel, it is a letdown when a cake gets canceled or plans get changed. I'm sorry.

I say you completly blow them away with your cookies! You can do it. Maybe make little fish cookies to look like Nemo or something. That may be too time consuming but I'm sure you'll think of something.

DesignsbyD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsbyD Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 27

Amy,

sorry about the BIG let down. I think you should do the cookies and do the best you can. I know that I love baking cakes and I don't have much time or oppurtunities, thank God my neighbors and kids love to eat them all. I am sure another request will come your way.
Happy Baking
Denise

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 27

I hat when stuff like that happens! I spend lots of time getting ideas and pics together, then when the cake falls through it's disapoining to have wasted all that time.

cakemommy Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 27

How about surfboards with little bites taken out of them!! Well, I wouldn't be biting them. I was thinking of using one of my scalloped biscuit cutters to make the bite marks! icon_lol.gif What do you think? Any other suggestions are welcome!

Amy

MichelleG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleG Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 5:26pm
post #7 of 27

cakemommy, perfect idea, for the cookies and the surfboards could be different colors and designs on them. very clever

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 5:28pm
post #8 of 27

Amy.... what a cute idea. Very clever. icon_smile.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 5:52pm
post #9 of 27

Can't wait to see them! Post pics when you're done!

cakemommy Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 6:05pm
post #10 of 27

Will do! Birthday isnt' until Sept. 4th so I have a bit of time to prepare and design. I'll be posting another thread about a 3D truck cake for my BIL's birthday the following week!

Amy

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 8:44pm
post #11 of 27

Amy's idea is SOOOO cute! The surfboards would go great with the theme!

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 9:47pm
post #12 of 27

You could also do cookies shaped like fish and other marine life. Isn't there a cookie cutter set for marine life??? i really go all out on a cake now too. Designing the cake sometimes takes longer than actually making the cake. They really should not have asked you to do the cake if it was a tradition for the parents to make it. JMO.

cakemommy Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 10:11pm
post #13 of 27

I couldn't agree with you more! My other SIL was there and witnessed the conversation a little over a month ago and she's surprised as well. This particular SIL is notorious though for last minute stuff and the like! So I'm really not surprised at all just irked! I'm going to take from the examples of all the wonderful cookies everyone has done here and go from there in design.

My next project is for my "good" SIL . Her hubby's b-day is the following weekend and she has asked me to do a 3D truck for his cake. Now I am always up for a challenge but I really need some help with this one. I need all the examples I can get. I had thought of using the front portion of the 3D car cake (pan) and adding my own truck bed to it. I plan on using MMF to cover the cake. I figured for the bed I would cut it out of a square and shape it to size. Does that make sense? If anyone has an easier way, please do share.

Amy
icon_lol.gif

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 10:12pm
post #14 of 27

Hi Amy!

I love the surfboard/bite idea! Very cute and original! Your cookies are fabulous, btw! I love the Halloween ones, very smooth icing! Please post pictures when you finish them icon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 5:18am
post #15 of 27

Amy... Warning.. if you listen to me you might get in trouble... LOL...

I would do a small family party for your nephew for just your side of the family! And do the M&M thing that was supposed to be done in the first place. That way you have just started a new family tradition for your side of the family. And the little guy gets 2 bday parties every year! He'll love you for that!!

My nephew told his Daddy (my BIL) that he wanted his Aunt Tina to make his cake NOT Aunt Ronda. My BIL's sister is an awesome decorator!!! My sister asked me to do the cake, BIL said his sister was doing the cake. Guess what? My little guy got his way! I did the cake! He loves me more anyway!! LOL!! Usually our side does a party then BIL's side do a party. We don't come to theirs & they don't come to our's. That's why we call them 'OUTLAWS" !!!!!!!! LOL!!

cakemommy Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 5:25am
post #16 of 27

Outlaws, that 's pretty funny!

Well, my nephew's mommy and daddy would have to approve of the second party and I know they won't because this one is going to be so huge.

I just re-read that "mommy and daddy"...that's what I get for having two small children myself......anyway....

I could make a mini M&M and give it to him. I'm the aunt and aunts can do special things for their nephews can't they!!! Thanks for the idea!!!

Amy

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 3:22pm
post #17 of 27

Hi Amy,

I feel your pain...the same thing happened to me for my sister's birthday. Her daughters went to Food Lion and brought a cake. When I asked them about it, they said that I was busy doing another cake and wouldn't have time to do theirs.

I was hurt and told them that they should have asked me and not assumed anything because I would have made time to do it.

The only good thing that made me feel better was the fact that the cake was horrible and everyone was asking where was my cake thumbs_up.gif

Suffice to say, there was alot of cake left over lol

Make him the M&M cake and let it be a special surprise from his dear Auntie.

I know that you will do a bang-up job on the cookies icon_wink.gif

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 4:16pm
post #19 of 27

I'm definately going to do that M&M cake now. Just a little six inch one! I'll do the green M&M!! What color does everyone think I should do. I thought blue but isn't the blue a female?

Amy

cakemommy Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 4:28pm
post #20 of 27

Hey Sweetbaker, thanks!!!!! I can try to modify that to look like an F350 which is my BIL's dream truck.....only because his older brother (my hubby) has one!! HAHA icon_lol.gif

Amy

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 4:33pm
post #21 of 27

Cakemommy, if you take my advice, you'll REALLY get into trouble, but hey, what are devious minds for if not to cause trouble? I would do gingerbread men shaped cookies with bites taken from various parts of the body, like a shark attack. Your nephew would be too young to get the joke, but not the back biting SIL! Either that, or do cookies shaped like various body parts and ice them red..... I know, I'm so gross!

Debbi

cakemommy Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 4:36pm
post #22 of 27

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Teach her to do that to me again!!!

Amy

TheCakeWizard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeWizard Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 3:02pm
post #23 of 27

Sorry to hear about the disappointment with the SIL. I can commiserate with you. I felt let down when I figured I was making my step son's wedding cake. His fiance picked a cake from a Wilton yearbook and it is covered in fondant with about 200 strings on the sides! I'm not bad at stringwork, but I said they have to be piped at the reception. If you transport, most of them will fall off! I even made 2 sample wedding cakes (they are posted out here at cc) but they decided to get the cake somewhere else.

About the fire truck cake. I never made one covered in fondant but I have made one with bc. I currently make kits for it and sell them on ebay. But if you are looking for a good start (at least the cake part of it) take a look at this web site. They have a good layout for 3D truck structure. If you are using fondant, you can sculpt the rest of the decorations from that.

http://familyfun.go.com/parties/birthday/feature/famf58birthday/famf58birthday2.html

cakemommy Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 3:39pm
post #24 of 27

Hey thanks!! I'll check that out. I would too be very dissappointed and in tears to do all that work and then not make the cake. icon_surprised.gif

Amy

becca0926 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becca0926 Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 11:05pm
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemommy

I'm definately going to do that M&M cake now. Just a little six inch one! I'll do the green M&M!! What color does everyone think I should do. I thought blue but isn't the blue a female?

Amy

The Green is female.

http://us.mms.com/us/about/characters/

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 5:03am
post #26 of 27

Well Amy what did you decided to do?? Been curious!!

alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 12:57pm
post #27 of 27

I am so sorry to hear what happened to you. The same thing happened to me but it was my SIL's wedding cake. It would have been my first. I promise you just keep up the practice with your cakes and the family will see they will not get anything better no matter where they go. You blow them away with your cookies!! You are too funny TC. and she is right if you listen to her you WILL get into trouble..ha ha he he

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%