Might Seem Minor To You, But I'm In Tears!!!

Decorating By beachysweets Updated 31 Oct 2007 , 5:58am by NanaFixIt

beachysweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachysweets Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 4:04am
post #1 of 6

I went to the final class of my Wilton Course 1 today. I FAILED MISERABLY! I don't feel like writing a long tale, but here's it in a nutshell...I had to squeeze, thin and re-stir my icing about 8 times. I just COULDN'T get the rose until the last 20 minutes of class when I was tired, disappointed (knew I wasn't going to finish a cake), sad, my hand hurt, and sooooooooo discouraged! Maybe you folks here could give me some advice, since the next class is all icing flowers ( icon_eek.gif ) In the end, I came in with a messy version of what I came in with...frosting and a blank, plainly iced cake (didn't put one more drop of icing on it than I came in with.

At least I get to use fondant this week icon_smile.gif I love working with the stuff

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
there's my sob story..not much of one now that I'm complaining.
at least i have my health and my family who i could hug to death. too bad my friends aren't so close anymore icon_sad.gif but that's another story..........

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 5:17am
post #2 of 6

getting the icing right is one of the most important parts of decorating. You can try other icing recipes, or just keep working with the one you are using now until you know how it needs to be for flowers. It most likely needs more liquid than you are using.

Don't give up, you will get this.

NanaFixIt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaFixIt Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 5:29am
post #3 of 6

beachy - I never did get the buttercream roses perfected, but when we got to royal icing roses, I finally got it! It's so much easier to work with the RI when making flowers (my teacher even said she wished they taught that first). Don't give up, and btw, the other flowers are much easier, I promise!

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 5:37am
post #4 of 6

SCREW FLOWERS! I HATE 'EM!

LOL...no really, I do hate them, cause I suck at them! But don't be bitter like me. icon_smile.gif Just practice and I'm sure you'll see improvement.

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 5:38am
post #5 of 6

adorable avatar, nanafixit!

NanaFixIt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaFixIt Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 5:58am
post #6 of 6

Why thank you, tomoore! I love yours too - where mine shows the love b/w my g-babies, yours shows the love b/w you and your partner! (Read the avatar post, but can't remember if you're married yet...?)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%