Moist Box Cake Mix

Decorating By adriane Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 3:30pm by diane

adriane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adriane Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 26

hey i need help!!!! i baked a full sheet cake using the dh cake mix (yellow) and the cake was not moist . does anyone have any ideas. what cake mix does everyone else use?

25 replies
Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 26

I use Duncan Hines all the time and they always come out moist. I bake at 325 - did you over bake the cake?

Or, you could add a box of instant pudding to the batter and an extra egg - makes a wonderfully moist cake. Also, the WASC recipe on this site makes a nice moist cake.

HTH

Jen

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 26

I usually but what is on sale and doctor it with pudding, sour cream etc....
There are recipes on this site and in the cake doctor book.
Set your time for the minimum and then start checking for doneness...

nmrunyon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nmrunyon Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 26

I use Pillsbury (that is the kind my distributor sells). I use butter instead of oil, and I bake it at 330 instead of the typical 350 degrees that the directions say. I am trying pudding in the mix with an extra egg in it as we speak (it is in the oven) I will let you know what the results were.

Hope it helps. icon_biggrin.gif

jab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jab Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 26

I use Betty Crocker and use the cake extender recipe from this site on all cakes and they turn out perfect every time. Easy to frost and are always moist and just right.

DFND Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DFND Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 26

I will only use Pillsbury. I get so many compliments of how the cake is moist and delicious. I love the taste and it rises better than Duncan Hines.

dreamn900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamn900 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 26

Pillsbury is pretty moist and already has pudding in it. I've used this box before and subbed the oil for butter as well.

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 26

I always use Pilsbury's Pudding in the Mix cake Mix (in a blue box) and bake it @ 325. Always comes out moist. I like it better than any other cake mix (duncan hines or betty crocker)

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:39pm
post #9 of 26

I've not had a problem with DH. Did you use a heating core (or inverted flower nail to help it bake more evenly?) For a full sheet cake especially. I recently tried this doctored cake mix recipe and everyone loved it: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1972-Durable-Cake-for-3D-and-Wedding-Cakes.html

I'm sure there are many others on this site too, this is the only I've tried since it was so good! HTH

adriane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adriane Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:43pm
post #10 of 26

thanks guys for your help. but can anyone tell me what is the WASC site on cake central and how do i find it. and aht is the cake extender receipe on this site. I used the flower nail and heating core , maybe that was to much

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:56pm
post #11 of 26

Here is the link to The White Almond Sour Cream cake, better known as WASC. HTH.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake.html

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:00pm
post #12 of 26

I substitute applesauce for oil in all my box receipes and they seem to come out really moist (and have less fat than using oil, yuck!).

Since you already baked the cake, you can try to add some simple syrup to it, it may help. (equal parts of sugar and water, heat on the stove until the sugar disolves and the water becomes clear. I usually cool the syrup, but you can maybe use it warm and brush on the cake, then wrap well with saran wrap.)

You might be able to salvage the cake if it works. Good luck!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:03pm
post #13 of 26

Here is the recipe for WASC
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-0-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake.html

I use Pillsbury cake mix. I only use 1 cup of water for each box, they always call for more. but I think it makes it too thin, and here's my little secret. In white cake I use cream bouquet, in all others I use butavan, but what I do is I buy the 8oz bottles of those and then I take a 16oz bottle of corn syrup and mix 8oz of cream bouquet or butavan to 8 oz of corn syrup put them back in the corn syrup bottle and then I add one tablespoon of that mixture to each box of cake mix, moist and yummy!

jibbies

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:19pm
post #14 of 26

I only use Betty Crocker and they are fine. I don't add anything to the mix.

I've always thought yellow cakes were kinda dry anyway. No idea why ....

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:30pm
post #15 of 26

Since I found it on this wesite, I have used the extender recipe in every single cake mix....
In addition to the ingredients on the box, add...
one egg
one cup flour
one cup sugar
one 8 ounce container of yogurt OR sour cream
one Tbsp vanilla or other accommodating extract
1/4 tsp salt

Good luck!!!

Peeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeg Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:25pm
post #16 of 26

I'm also a commited Pillsbury dough girl. I don't like DH or BC.I also add an extra egg.

Peeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeg Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:33pm
post #17 of 26

I'm also a commited Pillsbury dough girl. I don't like DH or BC.I also add an extra egg. icon_rolleyes.gif

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:45pm
post #18 of 26

I always use Duncan Hines, but bake at a slightly lower temp approx 325 and I use the baking strips, even for large cakes along with the flower nails. Mine are always very moist.

Wendoger Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:54pm
post #19 of 26

oh yes! I forgot to add bake at 325 for about 15 to 25 minutes longer than the box says....ya just gotta keep checking it with a knife cuz as you know, all ovens vary icon_wink.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 10:41pm
post #20 of 26

I made a box mix last weekend, disregarded the instructions and added 4 eggs, 1 c water, 1/3 c oil and 1 box pudding. I didn't use a heating core for my 12" sq. cause I didn't think about it. After I torted and trimed the cake was a little dry. I crumbcoated, froze, masked and when I ate it the next day it was soooo moist and tasty.

nmrunyon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nmrunyon Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:32am
post #21 of 26

I said I would post a reply after my cake cooled. I was the one adding pudding to the Pillbury chocolate cake mix. Well let me tell you...It was great. My dad is not a cake kind of guy, but he loved it, he kept commenting on how moist this cake was. So add the extra egg and a box of pudding...I used chocolate fudge pudding with chocolate cake. Delish as Rachel Ray would say.

tika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tika Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 5:17am
post #22 of 26

I'm glad your cake turned out good. I use DH exclusively and only butter recipe. I've had that same dry cake with DH yellow and I never use it. I also put in an extra egg and a little extra water. I also cook at 325 degrees and about 10 min over time on the box, but it has to be watched.

bec_elias Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bec_elias Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 1:31pm
post #23 of 26

I alway use mayonnaise in place of the oil. It comes out really moist everytime.

Wendoger Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:37pm
post #24 of 26

Yes! My gramma was a baker and she used mayo in her stuff as well! I always thought that was so wierd as a kid but all her baked goods were so dang yummy...they never lasted very long in the house '-)

bec_elias Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bec_elias Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 3:02pm
post #25 of 26

I put mayo in everything! Even cookies thumbs_up.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 3:30pm
post #26 of 26

i use nothing but dh. you overbaked or had it on too high of a temp. i've only had a few cakes that were not moist and it was because of the temp. and overbaking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%