Can You Make 2 Boxes Of Cake Mix At The Same Time?

Decorating By monizcel Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 7:00am by auntginn

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 15

I need to make 4-6 inch cakes this weekend for my hubby's birthday. Can I take 2 boxes of cake mix and make all the batter at one time (so that would be 2 cake mixes, 8 eggs, 2 boxes of pudding etc.).

I only have 2-6" pans so I will bake the first batch, cool and then the second batch and make an 8 inch cake with the leftovers.

Thanks!

14 replies
lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 15

Not an expert by any means but just the other day I had 2 different brand cake mixes and added in the ingredients required by the different mixes and it tasted real great.
It was only for my sons 4th but everyone loved it.

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 15

I've made two boxes at the same time without problem, BUT I don't think you want to let the batter sit while the first cakes bake.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 15

I've done it many times, I just cover the batter and put in the fridge while the other cakes bake.

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:15pm
post #5 of 15

I make up to 3 in my mixer.

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:16pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks. I will cover the batter and put it the fridge while the first batch is baking.

Thanks!

deletedeletedelete Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deletedeletedelete Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:19pm
post #7 of 15

My mixer knows no other way anymore icon_smile.gif
I always, always do at least a double batch. If I do not need all of it for some reason I make cupcakes or a small little cake that I let my daughter decorate. Did it the other night for a cow cake and used the left over mix for cupcakes to freeze and decorate next Tuesday for Halloween and she was very upset that I didn't have something for her to "icing" last night.

chovest Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 15

For some reason I thought you shouldn't let it set. I guess if it's in the fridge it doesn't matter. Ignore what I said earlier. icon_smile.gif

I'll have to keep that in mind now and save myself some work. I learn something new everyday, that's why I love CC!

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:34pm
post #9 of 15

Yes.....just be sure to double the ingredients. (Don't ask why I remind you about that........ icon_redface.gif )

chovest Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:40pm
post #10 of 15

You never....when my kids have been "helping" I've already forgot to add the water. It was obviously too thick so I caught it!

sisspence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisspence Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 10:46pm
post #11 of 15

I do it all the time, I have even mixed brands while doubling the batches. Knock on wood, no problems so far.

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 10:57pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yh9080

Yes.....just be sure to double the ingredients. (Don't ask why I remind you about that........ icon_redface.gif )

You say that for people like ME, who, no matter how many times I have doubled a recipe I need a reminder to double everything...hello, anybody home icon_confused.gif Now, I make notes right on the recipe.

As for two boxes of cake mix: I always mix two and freeze the extra cake becuase I really, really don't like the baking part of decorating! tapedshut.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 11:36pm
post #13 of 15

Like the above poster said, my mixer knows no other way. I make 3 mixes at once periodically.

When doing a wedding cake, I make batches, fill the pans and they are lined up on the counter waiting for their turn to go in the oven. Never knew they weren't suppose to sit around .... never had a problem with them rising or baking properly.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:10am
post #14 of 15

I have a 20qt mixer and it can handle 9 mixes at a time....lucky me! Usually filling the cake pans with a 9 batch will fill my 2 ovens.

I also mix 6 DH yellow with 3 Pillsbury white on a regular basis.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:00am
post #15 of 15

I mix 4 mixes all at one time. I often mix and pour in all my cake pans that need to get baked that day. My DD loves to watch the baking part for me, while I am busy with any other matters.

Whoopi! FREE labor! and great cakes to boot. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%