Fondant Question

Decorating By Darla925 Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 11:28pm by JoAnnB

Darla925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darla925 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone!

I am new to the beautiful world of decorating with fondant and I have a simple question. When a cake is made with decorations like a fondant bow, flowers, swag, etc., do you cut right through those decorations when serving the cake or do you remove them first? I made my first fondant cake for my parent's 40th anniversary and I didn't remove the swags that I put on the cake. I heard a comment about how thick the icing was but I don't know if this person had a swag piece. Did I make a bakers boo-boo, should I have removed the swags before cutting?

2 replies
artist63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artist63 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 3

Welcome.. good question I was wondering the same thing

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 3

Welcome to Cake Central. It isn't wrong to leave the swags in place. The decorations that might be hard, bows etc, should be removed to make cutting and serving easier. Swags, it depends.

Sometimes, the cake is removed to the kitchen and all the fondant is peeled off- I don't do that. Many people are not yet accustomed to fondant with is quite different from buttercream.

As long as they don't say "that cake didn't taste good" you are in good shape. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%