I Got A Question For All Cc People?????

Decorating By tonedna Updated 31 Oct 2007 , 4:11am by tobycat

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:50pm
post #31 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

Someone suggested creating a collage picture for multiple views. If anyone wants to do that and doesn't have the software to do so, I'd gladly offer to do it for you. It can be done in Paint, but it's hard to describe how to do it. I do have the software to create a collage as well as Photoshop. Anyway...

Oh, I would love to know how to do this! Can you pm me or post here and let me know. What kind of software do I need? Do you mean Microsoft Paint? How do you do it in there?

THis would be wonderful to know how to do! thumbs_up.gif

S.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:15pm
post #32 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kiddos

You know... this is getting so annoying! icon_mad.gif
When I log into CC, I want to see pictures of incredible cakes, forum posts about helping each other, innovative ideas, sincere questions, helpful answers... icon_biggrin.gif
I'm tired of the nit-picking whining, fussing, and sh*t stirring! icon_evil.gif

icon_twisted.gif ****STEPPING INTO MOTHER MODE***** icon_twisted.gif

If you can't get along, and learn to deal with each other, GO TO YOUR OWN ROOMS! icon_mad.gif
This site is not here to fuss and whine about the way other people do things! If you dont like the way people post comments, disable your comments! If you dont like duplicate photos... dont look at them! If you aren't getting enough views from your photos, post it in the forum with a big wave stating "here I am, please check out my latest creation!". This is a crazy busy site, with thousands of people! We've got to start acting like the adults we claim to be. If not, this site will no longer be the addicting, awesome site it's always been! icon_cry.gif
Lately it feels like I'm dealing with my 5 year old and 11 year old bickering and fussing all evening!!!! icon_cry.gif
Cut it out, and get back to making incredible cakes and cookies!!! icon_biggrin.gif

THANK-YOU FOR SAYING WHAT A LOT OF US ARE THINKING!!! thumbs_up.gif

divaricks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaricks Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:28pm
post #33 of 83

At the risk of getting yelled at virtually - I think one posting of a cake is sufficient - you can create a photo collage if you think a cake merits views from other angles - I did this myself today for the football cake I posted. I think it is easy to do and keeps everything in one place for people to see. My work often gets overlooked because it doesn't make the front page due to people uploading 3 and 4 pictures of the same cake, closeups and different angles.
I think it is important to have these pictures for yourself and for people who ask you in a PM to see other shots, but not necessary for all to see...

Now I duck my head to miss the punches I am sure are coming! icon_eek.gif

MistyRomack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MistyRomack Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:34pm
post #34 of 83

icon_redface.gif So I am guilty of posting a bunch of my nemo cake, but I spent 12 hrs just on the figurines and shells and icings and fondant not including assembly, and the figurines. My original pic didn't give it justice and CC did go down when I posted my original pic, so no one got to see them. Then the family contacted me and sent me the good photos that they had, they went all over the cake and gave me closeups and the one at the party. It's my most labor intensive cake I've done yet. LOL

But if you see in mine, I did do two photos where I combined them together, building of the cake, and I agree, it's soooo much better, and you can see the cake from angels and being built! So if you have it, I recommend it!

I got a new camera, so no more bad photos for me!

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:31pm
post #35 of 83

I just have to agree that the photo collages are a great way to get a lot on one page. Especially when the cake doesn't rally warrant a view from an entirely different angle but perhaps some close-ups of some details. I did that with my son's birthday cake last week and it worked really well.

I just do it in Photoshop, open up all the pictures I want to include, crop the detail pics down to size, take my main photo of the cake, make the canvas size larger, and drag the close-ups right onto that canvas. Then I resize each of those pics until they fit how I want them. I hope that makes sense! Here's what it looked like if a visual helps:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1149279.html

Hope that helps someone!
Anya

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:50pm
post #36 of 83

Ok, I've never done this (I don't think) but there are times when I would like to include a pic of the invitation I got my inspiration from or some close ups. I don't have photoshop, how can I do a collage? Can someone help me with this?

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 8:01pm
post #37 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoma9

People work very hard on their cakes, and sometimes they think that they have accomplished a personal best on one area of the cake. If someone wants to show various angles of a cake, I'm fine with that. I did it on my fish cake. I showed the entire scene, and then I put a close up of my fondant fisherman in the gumpaste figures section. I am very proud of him.

Does this bother you when exquisitely beautiful work is posted? Or is it only when work that might be considered average is posted?

I can think of one cake that had a rocking horse on top (I think it was a baby shower), and that horse was brilliant. The decorator published 2-3 angles. Everyone raved about it and was thrilled to get a closer look at that beautiful cake. Would this have bothered you?

I'm not trying to sound confrontational, just seriously wondering, because it sounds a little like you're knocking people for being proud of their work that you don't think is worthy of being up there in more than one pic. Forgive me if I'm wrong about where you're coming from -- it's just an observation. That said, I do agree that posting more than 2 pics goes against cc's rules.

S.

I understand being proud of your work and wanting to post a lot of angles. But, this site is a gift to us funded by donations and I don't think it's too much to ask for people to abide by the requests of Heath and Jackie. Hours of work and countless dollars go into something of this magnitute.

Maybe there should be one picture uploaded free, and each picture after that has a fee, like eBay.

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 8:26pm
post #38 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Quote:

People work very hard on their cakes, and sometimes they think that they have accomplished a personal best on one area of the cake. If someone wants to show various angles of a cake, I'm fine with that. I did it on my fish cake. I showed the entire scene, and then I put a close up of my fondant fisherman in the gumpaste figures section. I am very proud of him.

Does this bother you when exquisitely beautiful work is posted? Or is it only when work that might be considered average is posted?

I can think of one cake that had a rocking horse on top (I think it was a baby shower), and that horse was brilliant. The decorator published 2-3 angles. Everyone raved about it and was thrilled to get a closer look at that beautiful cake. Would this have bothered you?

I'm not trying to sound confrontational, just seriously wondering, because it sounds a little like you're knocking people for being proud of their work that you don't think is worthy of being up there in more than one pic. Forgive me if I'm wrong about where you're coming from -- it's just an observation. That said, I do agree that posting more than 2 pics goes against cc's rules.

S.

I understand being proud of your work and wanting to post a lot of angles. But, this site is a gift to us funded by donations and I don't think it's too much to ask for people to abide by the requests of Heath and Jackie. Hours of work and countless dollars go into something of this magnitute.

Maybe there should be one picture uploaded free, and each picture after that has a fee, like eBay.

I am not real computer savy but I am wondering if there is a way to post one picture/angle of a cake for the homepage and post additional pics./angles in your "my photos" section only. Then you could say in the cake description that there are more elements to the cake and direct others to your photos if they'd like to see more. Again, I don't know if this is possible...it's just a thought. icon_smile.gif

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 8:39pm
post #39 of 83

Question: If I have a cake that can fall into several different categories, let's say a Purple Whimsical Birthday cake with a sugar ornament on top, icon_confused.gif is it technically ok to post different views directed toward different categories under these different categories? What if I post one a day-not all at the same time?

When looking for inspiration for said cake, I went to the purple section and none of them were the "right" purple that I wanted, then when I did the cake and went to post it, I couldn't figure out where to put it!!! I know this is a rather silly question, but I don't know and I don't want to irritate anyone. icon_biggrin.gif

tobycat Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 9:00pm
post #40 of 83
Quote:

I think most people do abide by the rules/guidelines. But, the point made a couple posts after this one has a good point -- sometimes it's hard to know where to put something. I originally put my fishing cake in the birthday section because it was a birthday cake, but then I changed it to the fishing/hunting section. I put a second pic of just the little fondant figure I created in the gumpaste/marzipan section. I thought this was fair to do. Do you think not?

My camera's not the best, so even the pic of my little guy wasn't that great, but better than just the view of him on the full view of the cake. I really love the idea of doing multiple images on one pic, but I don't have the knowledge how to do that yet. I will definitely when I am able, but for now, that's the best I can do.

I understand your point about the time and $$$ put into this, but I just think some people are being a bit harsh with people for other reasons.

S.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 9:05pm
post #41 of 83

Thoughts from a newbie -- both to CC and cake decorating in general...

I can totally understand both sides. What a shame for someone's picture to get bumped off the front page (though it's only there briefly anyway) by the same cake being posted multiple times.

Maybe the discussion is good, though, in case some of the new ones didn't notice or forgot the rule. I have two that I posted twice - but both are cupcake cakes where I posted the cake (or center tower) so people could see it, and the 2nd was the entire display - one took up three tables. I thought it relevant to post both. And I can understand the "proud" factor. The first time you accomplish something you think is very cool - you can't wait to show it off - or get a few comments.

Also - I don't have a problem with discussions like these -- again maybe someone wasn't aware - a little CONSTRUCTIVE criticism never hurt anyone. I must say, however, that after so many recent threads about this - and people's comments on pictures -- I've been really leary of posting comments lately, and as a matter of fact, I just don't do it any more. And -- my last few questions have started with apologies about my asking such a stupid question (apparently I'm not so good at searching through the forums -- because I can't seem to find the already existing threads relating to my question). God bless CC - you guys always answer my questions anway! I've learned a ton from you all.

I guess my point is - I'm not feeling as welcome here as I did when I first found it. Just a thought.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 9:11pm
post #42 of 83

I guess my point is - I'm not feeling as welcome here as I did when I first found it. Just a thought.[/quote]

i for one am sorry you feel that way. i remember when i first joined how it use to be...it's sad to say it's changed here. there's too much complaining...what ever happened to the good old days when we just talked about cake! icon_confused.gif

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 9:13pm
post #43 of 83

I love seeing multiple pictures of peoples cakes....

I look at the front page to see what's going on in the forums and to look at the recent pictures CC has posted of the Holiday cakes and the Most Popular cakes, but most the time I click the Galleries and click "Last Downloads" so I don't miss any of the most recent downloads of the Newest Cake Photos everyone else has posted...this way I don't miss anyone photos...and besides there's only 6 slots open on the front page for the recent downloads,and 100's of cake decorators posting their pictures 24/7, so it aint like if someone posts multiples that that would be the reason any of our pictures where booted to the last uploads file anyway...I love this site and everything about it...so if someone else is proud enough of their cake to post more than one picture then I say God Bless em and go for it!!!

I didn't even realize there was a rule of how many pictures could be downloaded on one cake till 2 weeks ago!!! But since June when my hard drive crashed and I lost all my pictures of my cakes I had saved in a file in my documents..I was so grateful I still had most my pictures in CC's galleries icon_smile.gif

I think I can find better things to complain about then how many pictures someone posts of their cakes..."I LOVE CC" and am just grateful to be apart of such a wonderful community of like minds and to have a place to come to to share and learn with each other...multiple pictures or not icon_smile.gif

Sending Cake Faerie Blessings out to each of you, Mary birthday.gif

janicecold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janicecold Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 9:24pm
post #44 of 83

I am probably going to get people not to happy with what I am about to say!!
I am not understanding what is going on in here lately, in here meaning CC. I think that there has been alot of complaining on here lately, example, yesterday there was one about people leaving comments on posters pictures of their cakes, people complaining about the thread that was complaining about the the comments (I hope that makes sense), and now this one. I said in another thread that the whinning is getting abit much. This is a site for helping others when the have cake problems and getting ideas. I feel bad for Heath and Jackie, with all the work that they have been doing and then here are people are complaining about things alot. I don't think that they made this site with the intent of people complaning alot but for us to help eachother out and make one another feel better about things.

Maybe it is because I am PMSing that these threads are getting to me!!!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 9:31pm
post #45 of 83

this might seem silly but I actually LIKE to only post one picture of my cake. My reason is this. IF my cake might actually be POPULAR, then I want all of the saves to be on one picture and not split between two pictures. So you know...it might have a chance to be on the all time popular list someday? It seems like the cakes that make it to that category are needing more and more saves. I could be wrong. Okay so maybe that is a dumb reason to only post one picture.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 9:25pm
post #46 of 83

sonoma9 wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Oh, I would love to know how to do this! Can you pm me or post here and let me know. What kind of software do I need? Do you mean Microsoft Paint? How do you do it in there?

THis would be wonderful to know how to do!

Hey Gang: At the risk of being preachy, you don't need Photoshop! Almost all of you who have a Microsoft Suite have the Paint program, which by the way is one of the most powerful under utilized "free" programs there are out there. I use it to watermark all my photos.

But to create a collage here are the steps:

To insert an image file into the current picture
*In the toolbox, click Select "the rectangle tool box" and then drag the pointer to define an area for the inserted file.
*On the Edit menu, click Paste From.
*Locate and double-click the file you want to insert.
*Drag the image file to position it correctly, and then click outside the selection.
*It's that easy and only one photo.

HTH

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 9:42pm
post #47 of 83

I have posted twice on a few of my cakes of my cakes, mostly when I first joined CC, I did post 2 pics of the Peony cake because I wanted to show the gumpaste wood on the topper. Personally, I don't mind how many times people post different views of their cakes, but I would so love to do what Copacabanya did, I am not very smart on the computer, wish I was. I am going to give it a bash tho'.

tobycat Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 9:43pm
post #48 of 83

[quote="tiptop57"]sonoma9 wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Hey Gang: At the risk of being preachy, you don't need Photoshop! Almost all of you who have a Microsoft Suite have the Paint program, which by the way is one of the most powerful under utilized "free" programs there are out there. I use it to watermark all my photos.

*In the toolbox, click Select "the rectangle tool box" and then drag the pointer to define an area for the inserted file.
*Drag the image file to position it correctly, and then click outside the selection.

HTH

Thank you so much! thumbs_up.gif
S.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 11:03pm
post #49 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

I still think the original poster had a valid question that was not asked in a mean or whining way. I think the hostile responses are far worse than the original question. I repeat...if you don't like the subject or question then why read the forum or even post to it.

I also still think that rules were meant to be followed, not broken. And the 1 picture limit with few exceptions IS the rule. That is not hard to understand.

I don't believe this is a bad subject to discuss because maybe some people have not noticed the one picture rule and this thread will inform them. I almost have to question if the ones being so hostile here are some who don't believe the rules apply to them and don't like being told what the rules are.

Please no more flaming. The subject is not ridiculous, the hostility is.

Thanks for saying this..Is not a hostile comment people..I am not complaining either..Basically I am bringing a point here that might be nice..Obviously some people think everything is about bringing the bad in here but is not..It doesnt matter to me if people want to keep posting so many photos..I thought it would be a nice thing for everyone ... I dont post my cakes here to get views or more time in the front page...
I make plenty of cakes every week and post them here for my students to view..Basically is not about air time...not about whining or complaining ..is about those people who post photos that feel they are lost in the shuffle..is basically thinking about others...

And again Not a complain not a whine...just a question and a suggestion!.. icon_redface.gif If you like the suggestion and wanna try it..fine..If you dont..fine too..just ideas not trying to stir a pot here.
Sometimes people read things and think the worst ..Read it and think ...well we can do something about it..I know myself i will..I wont post one more than one picture per cake....And then again thats my choice... icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 11:07pm
post #50 of 83
Quote:

Quote:

S.

OMG>>this is the funniest...by the way I love this woman...she always says stuff that is true on so funny!... icon_lol.gif

superstar Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 11:45pm
post #51 of 83

Thanks Sonoma9, I am going to try this. You make it sound simple, for me simple is GOOD.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:13am
post #52 of 83

[quote="sonoma9"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

sonoma9 wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

HTH

S.

Oh Ms. Sonoma you are too clever, don't you wish we all could be California Girls?
I got it on the first try! Thank you. I see that I reduced the smaller photo a bit too much, but at least I've got how it works and it is really very simple.
LL

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:17am
post #53 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykat_14

Question: If I have a cake that can fall into several different categories, let's say a Purple Whimsical Birthday cake with a sugar ornament on top, icon_confused.gif is it technically ok to post different views directed toward different categories under these different categories? What if I post one a day-not all at the same time?

When looking for inspiration for said cake, I went to the purple section and none of them were the "right" purple that I wanted, then when I did the cake and went to post it, I couldn't figure out where to put it!!! I know this is a rather silly question, but I don't know and I don't want to irritate anyone. icon_biggrin.gif

That's a good question. This is why we have the forums...so questions can be answered.

No, krazykat. You are only allowed one picture. I am sure almost every cake on this web site could fall into more than one category. You just have to pick the best category of all the ones it fits in and go with it.

Can you imagine if everyone posted a picture for every category their cake fit into?

tobycat Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:15am
post #54 of 83

[quote="ShirleyW"]

Quote:

Quote:

sonoma9 wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

HTH

S.

Oh Ms. Sonoma you are too clever, don't you wish we all could be California Girls?
I got it on the first try! Thank you. I see that I reduced the smaller photo a bit too much, but at least I've got how it works and it is really very simple.

Oh my, I think there's a mistake here -- I DIDN'T GIVE THIS INFO -- I WAS REPLYING TO IT SAYING THANKS TO TIPTOP57 FOR GIVING IT.

I think the end part of the [quote] got cut off when I posted, making it look like it's my idea, but really, the credit goes to Tiptop57.

Sorry for the confusion. icon_redface.gif

S.

superstar Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:17am
post #55 of 83

Oh wow Shirley, I am impressed, I hope I can do as well when I try. & that is a lovely cake, but all your work is lovely.

superstar Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:18am
post #56 of 83

Well THANKS to tip top then

simplysweet72740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweet72740 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:19am
post #57 of 83

I have to do a cake for a client that is telling her employees that she is going to have a baby. They think its a boy but not sure and they just need or want to tell their employees. ANY ideas???

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:49am
post #58 of 83

[quote="sonoma9"][quote="ShirleyW"]

Quote:

Quote:

sonoma9 wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

HTH

S.

Oh my, I think there's a mistake here -- I DIDN'T GIVE THIS INFO -- I WAS REPLYING TO IT SAYING THANKS TO TIPTOP57 FOR GIVING IT.

I think the end part of the

Quote:
Quote:

got cut off when I posted, making it look like it's my idea, but really, the credit goes to Tiptop57.

Sorry for the confusion. icon_redface.gif

S.

OOPS, Sorry, sorry Tiptop, you are the hero of the day!!!

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:56am
post #59 of 83

Thanks TipTop for the collage instructions...wonderful!!!

Also...just to point out that if your cake gets pushed off the front page quickly no worries...people will see it when they look in the galleries. I often look through "last uploaded" and see recent pictures as well as cruising through the various galleries. There are hundreds and hundreds of us looking so it is bound to be seen.

Also, icon_redface.gif I have posted doubles of mine when I wanted to show the topper up close because it was lost in the photograph...fairies, babies etc...

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:13am
post #60 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneK

Also, icon_redface.gif I have posted doubles of mine when I wanted to show the topper up close because it was lost in the photograph...fairies, babies etc...

That is what the exception to the one photo rule is for, to show up an up-close image of a cake topper or if the cake is two-sided. I think you are okay JaneK.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%