New Cake, Would Like Some Feedback : )

Decorating By valora387 Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 7:58pm by valora387

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 14

I hate doing this, but I posted a new cake yesterday and got a few looks but only one comment. I'm really proud of this cake, and would like some feedback on how it looks. So, if you have time, please check out the pink and white christening cake in my photos.
Thanks!
Erin

13 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 14

I love pink, so of course I love the colors used on the cake. Your piping on the border is very well done.

For your roses, they are nice, but the centers are higher than the outer petals. Try making the center just slightly lower than the other petals, and make all of the petals thinner. Thinning them will give them more life and will actually make them easier to form. The weight of the petals won't fight you every step of the way.

Get a real rose from the store and literally tear it apart to see how each round of petals look. This will help tremendously in your future work of not just roses, but many other flowers as well.

I also liked the vined flowers randomly on the cake. It was a nice touch.

Michele

artist63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artist63 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:35am
post #3 of 14

I went and looked at it and posted a comment. I think you did a really nice job. you should be very proud of yourself.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:03am
post #4 of 14

You did a great job. It's a beautiful cake. icon_smile.gif

I'll leave you a comment too.

valora387 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:15pm
post #5 of 14

Thank you to those who replied and left comments!!!!!

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 14

Very nice cake!!!

I wish I could do flowers that nice!!! icon_cry.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 14

Erin--
Your cake is very pretty and the roses are fantastic. Unfortunately, I keep getting an error message when I try to leave a comment and I have to type a letter, clear the error message, type a letter, clear the error message....etc! Hopefully I can figure out how to keep that message from showing up.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 14

Very pretty cake, beautiful roses. Your piping is great too. Be proud you did a wonderful job.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:33pm
post #9 of 14

Very nice looking cake. You did a great job with piping like the other posters mentioned. I thought your roses looked good too.

The only thing I would comment on would be your colors. (I often have this issue too). I would try to find a bit of a darker shade of pink to complement the lighter shade. Your two colors were so similar it didnt bring out the details as much as it could have. With a white backdrop, doing a pastel pink trim needs a little contrast.

You might want to think about using Americolor's avocado or leaf green for the green vining rather than a kelly green (or pastel-type). This would also bring out the fine features on the vines.

Anyway, your cake is very nice! I am sure your customers enjoyed it too icon_smile.gif

mommyandlovinit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyandlovinit Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:47pm
post #10 of 14

great job, your roses are beautiful!!!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:08pm
post #11 of 14

I checked out your cake, it was very pretty.
You mentioned that you were not happy with the icing not smoothing, did you try the paper towel method after it crusted? It helps tremendously.
This is just a personal preference but a top border in my opinion would have also added to the overall look. I like fondant cakes with no top border but buttercream in my opinion need that little dressing at the top.

jibbies

jab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jab Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:31pm
post #12 of 14

valora387 your cakes look great!! You too are like a lot of us. We are all proud and excited over our cakes and when we don't get as many comments or looks at our cakes as we think we should we are a little dissappointed. But think of all the cakes that are put on this site daily. If you have the old dial-up like me it takes a lot of time for me to just look at a picture let alone make comments or do anything I want to do here. Hang in there, you're dong a wonderful job with your cakes.

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:50pm
post #13 of 14

great cake...i just love pink!!!

valora387 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:58pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

I checked out your cake, it was very pretty.
You mentioned that you were not happy with the icing not smoothing, did you try the paper towel method after it crusted? It helps tremendously.
This is just a personal preference but a top border in my opinion would have also added to the overall look. I like fondant cakes with no top border but buttercream in my opinion need that little dressing at the top.

jibbies

I couldn't smooth the icing... it didn't crust! My cousin's husband (whose daughter the cake was for) likes supermarket cake icing (i.e. Rich's Bettercreme). Since I don't live anywhere near where you can buy it, I went on an internet search for recipes and found the one that I used for this icing. Unfortunately, since it's kind of like whipped cream, I just couldn't smooth it for the life of me!
Also, someone commented about the colors of the vine and the roses. My cousin picked the colors. She didn't want the green on there AT ALL, it was all I could do to convince her to put the light green vine on it. She wanted very light, pastel-y colors.
I know I definitely need more work, but I was proud of this one, even with all of its imperfections : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%