What Is The Best Tasting Fondant Icing??

Decorating By sara28 Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 5:11am by Tanya35

sara28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara28 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 36

i am doing a anniversary cake for a friend and i want to try my hand at fondant but the only one i know of is wiltons which is nasty. I usually use just icing but want to go a different rouote. I heard someone once refer to marshmellows, so any suggestions will help. Thanking anyone in advanced!!!

35 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 36

I prefer Satin Ice, which is a commercial fondant, but if you want to make it yourself, here's a recipe for marshmallow fondant http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1949-2-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html

thecakestylist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakestylist Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:19am
post #3 of 36

Check out my recipe at thecakestylist.blogspot.com

thjoghild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thjoghild Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:35am
post #4 of 36

You can add flavors to the Wilton fondant, which, I agree, is not good-tasting. My favorite flavor to add is almond, which reminds me of marzipan. icon_smile.gif

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:50am
post #5 of 36

I make my own ( not marshmallow ) and don't usually add flavorings because it didn't taste bad at all. But I had to try adding Creme Bouquet. Boy did that taste yummy.

shoup_family Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoup_family Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:52am
post #6 of 36

Oh gosh, just be warned not everyone has the best of luck with marshmellow fondant, some people swear by it though. I prefer the Michele Foster's Delicious fondant, which is divine, it's in the recipe section.

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 12:50pm
post #7 of 36

This is definitely a matter of opinion. I prefer the taste of MMF but I like working with Toba Garrett's fondant better.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:09pm
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoup_family

Oh gosh, just be warned not everyone has the best of luck with marshmellow fondant, some people swear by it though. I prefer the Michele Foster's Delicious fondant, which is divine, it's in the recipe section.

Another vote for Michelle's!

enchantedmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedmoments Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:20pm
post #9 of 36

I like the taste of Satin Ice,
when time is not an issue I would love to try making some of the fondant receipes here

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 36

Another vote for SatinIce. Great consistency, easy to work with, comes precolored if you need that and tastes very good.

dreamn900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamn900 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 3:47pm
post #11 of 36

I also like Satin Ice, although I don't like any fondant after it hardens up. But I could eat Satin Ice out of the can and the chocolate tastes like a tootsie roll icon_lol.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 36

TOBA GARRETT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 4:57pm
post #13 of 36

MMF tastes great, and WOW can you get any cheaper?? NO!! However, for ease of use and time saving, I really do like Satin Ice. I will warn you of one thing... I bought my first pail of it and when I opened it I was disgusted. It smelled and tasted like play-doh. Then someone alerted me that it sounds like it was in the heat too long. (Turns out FedEx didn't ring the bell when they delivered it, so it had been sitting in the hot sun for a few hours before I noticed it was there. Grrrrrrrrrrr!) Recently, a friend 'gifted' me with another pail, and I am in love. Can eat it right out of the pail while I'm working with it!! So... long story short, if you get some and it's yukky, SEND IT BACK! That is not normal, something is wrong with it!

thjoghild Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 7:56pm
post #14 of 36

Ok, my curiosity is piqued. Where can I find Satin Ice or Michele Foster's? I have only found fondant at Hobby Lobby, which is all Wilton. I haven't had time yet to make MMF, being kinda new to cake decorating. I assume I can find these different fondant's on-line, am I correct?

daisy114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy114 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:05pm
post #15 of 36

Could you sculpt with Toba's or Satin Ice or are they only for covering cakes?

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 12:44am
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thjoghild

Ok, my curiosity is piqued. Where can I find Satin Ice or Michele Foster's? I have only found fondant at Hobby Lobby, which is all Wilton. I haven't had time yet to make MMF, being kinda new to cake decorating. I assume I can find these different fondant's on-line, am I correct?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

It's delicious, very easy to make, and a dream to work with!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:16pm
post #17 of 36

Made Michele's last night for the first time & love it. I used 1/2 vanilla & 1/2 butter flavor & it turned out yummy! It made me wonder if I can make it & it can tast this good then why can't companies mass produce it & it taste good?

Hate Wilton & don't really care for SatinIce either. Texture is ok, but the flavor is nasty! Wilton tastes like tea leaves smell & I can't pin down what SI tastes like. Homemade is the way for me from now on.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:32pm
post #18 of 36

Satin Ice gets my vote. The best place to get it is from intotheoven.com

Jibbies

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:35pm
post #19 of 36

I made mmf for the first time over the weekend. ( I am such a novice with fondant). I used the recipe I found at cc and it was so easy-took a little time though-20 min. or so. But it tasted really good. I used a little Creme Bouquet in it.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 10:22pm
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

...It made me wonder if I can make it & it can tast this good then why can't companies mass produce it & it taste good?

Because, unforutnately, the quality ingredients required to make it taste that good cost money and would so dramatically cut into their profit, they'd have to jack up the prices something fierce!! None of us would want to pay it!! icon_wink.gif Glad you found a good recipe though... I'm going to have to try it!

thjoghild Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:17am
post #21 of 36

Thanks for the info! I'm going to try and make the MMF this weekend, just to practice. This site IS highly addictive!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:04pm
post #22 of 36

I just tried M. Foster's & I couldn't stop sampling it! The only change I made was to add creme boquet. I haven't tried using it yet, but if it's easy to use, it'll be hard to make/buy another kind. I've tried MMF several times, but it doesn't taste as good as M. Foster's. I do use Wilton on occassion. I'll buy a box when I have a coupon. I only use it on decor that's not going to be eaten. I think that it tastes pretty nasty!

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:17pm
post #23 of 36

New here what does mmf mean? and what is a good recipe for fondant, wilton is blan thank you

lecrn Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:02pm
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmama1961

New here what does mmf mean? and what is a good recipe for fondant, wilton is blan thank you

MMF=Marshmallow fondant. It tastes great & cheap to make.
There's several recipes in the recipe section of CC. In my experience the MMF recipes with the shortening work the best.

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:33pm
post #25 of 36

i finally found a store around me that has food safe glycerin, so i'm gonna try and make michele's this afternoon.

lecrn Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 9:31pm
post #26 of 36

I just tried using M. Foster's fondant & it didn't have the desired consistency. It was kinda crumbly. I made half a recipe just to try it out. I followed the recipe exactly except I forgot the salt. I used about 2lbs of powered sugar total, & quit adding it when it was not sticky. I also let it sit overnight before I used it. I added a little gum tex to make some flowers & leaves. I really don't think the batch that I made would roll out to cover a cake.
To those of you that make this type, have you had this experience before? What do you think that I could have done wrong? I really love the taste of this & was hoping to end my search of perfect fondant.
thanks!

katgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katgal Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 9:34pm
post #27 of 36

I used Wilton for a while, but it just tastes awful, and it's expensive. I experimented w/MMF, but it was way to sweet. So, I found a MMF recipe that used lemon juice, lemon extract, and vanilla. Cut the sweetness down a lot, and tastes very, very good. I'm no longer on the look-out for a good fondant recipe. Plus...so much cheaper than buying the stuff already made. icon_biggrin.gif
Problem is, I'm at work right now, recipe's at home. If anyone wants the recipe, you can PM, or email me([email protected]) and I can get it to you.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 9:35pm
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

I just tried using M. Foster's fondant & it didn't have the desired consistency. It was kinda crumbly. I made half a recipe just to try it out. I followed the recipe exactly except I forgot the salt. I used about 2lbs of powered sugar total, & quit adding it when it was not sticky. I also let it sit overnight before I used it. I added a little gum tex to make some flowers & leaves. I really don't think the batch that I made would roll out to cover a cake.
To those of you that make this type, have you had this experience before? What do you think that I could have done wrong? I really love the taste of this & was hoping to end my search of perfect fondant.
thanks!

Many recipes can be made by 1/2, this one does not work well for that. It can be doubled or even a batch and a half. I don't know why it won't work well when halved, so I just make a full batch and freeze what I don't use.

Michele Foster

lecrn Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 9:52pm
post #29 of 36

Thanks Michele. I'll try making the whole batch next time. I asked you the same question in another thread b/c I saw that you responded to another question re: your recipe. So, you can ignore that if you wish. What kind of milk do you use?
Thanks so much for your quick response.
Lisa

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 9:48pm
post #30 of 36

Sugarflowers, I see you mention freezing whatever fondant you don't use.

I take it, this is your recipe and that this doesn't apply to other types of fondant??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%