Fondant Dummy Cake For Store Window????

Decorating By Florimbio Updated 16 Oct 2007 , 11:25pm by kakeladi

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 5

ok, so I have been asked by a event planning company to make a dummy display cake for there front window of their store. They want a fondant covered square wedding cake, Tiffany Boxes to be exact....

How do I do this? I have used perma-ice stuff for dummy cakes, do I need this under to fonadnt? I was at a cake show and a woman said she uses elmers glue under her fondant dummy cakes? I am just worried that the fondant will melt???

Any help would be soooooo great!!!!

4 replies
aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 5

I just brush my dummy cakes with water and cover it as I would a real cake. The paste sticks perfectly well. I'm in Scotland mind you. I don't know if you use anything different to me for your dummies. Mine are poystyrene....same as styrofoam I assume. A lot of my wedding cakes with bride and groom toppers are made onto a dummy cake too as the bride usually wants to keep it intact after the day. You'd never tell by looking at them. icon_wink.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 5

yes, all you need to do is brush a little bit of water, very scarcely, and then apply the fondant as usual! It will be fine

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 5

So it will not melt is a display window that is in sunlight...on a city street???

Just checking...Thanks so much everyone..I am so glad CC is back up!!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 5

It probably won't melt but do expect any colors to fade icon_sad.gif
So a tiffany box is white w/turqoise ribbon. Depending on how much sun and how hot it is will determine how long the color w/last.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%