Does It Exist?

Lounge By denise4 Updated 19 Dec 2006 , 7:50pm by navywifetrat

denise4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise4 Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 12:11pm
post #1 of 31

A wonderful moist melt in the mouth Turkey!!......I've been doing what I always do at this time of year, watching all the cookery programes on christmas cooking waitng to see the perfect recipe for the ultimate moist turkey....does it exist?....I've cooked turkey every year for past 30yrs, and although I'm glad to say I've never done one that was very dry, I'm still in search of a very moist one!!....I think I've made made it my life mission to find the ultimate recipe!!! (oh dear I think I need to put on my new year resolution list GET A LIFE... icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif ) But I would love it if anyone out there has the secret to it let me know...Then I can concentrate on the more important things in life icon_wink.gif

Denise icon_smile.gif

30 replies
missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 31

Last Thanksgiving, we tried brining the turkey and it was awesome!!! First, I would say, always use a good quality brand like Butterball. I will never buy a store brand turkey. If you can get fresh turkey, that is even better. There are many different turkey brine recipes out there, just find one that sounds good to you--many variations on the spices and herbs that are added to it. Basically the brine is like a marinade and it helps the flavors of the herbs and spices set in the turkey and helps lock inthe moisture. The year that we did it, it was the best darn turkey we ever had!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 12:22pm
post #3 of 31

Two words....DEEP FRIED!!!!! I have had several, and have not had one that was the slightest bit dry. You slice into it, and the juice runs! They are the best!

missyek Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 12:24pm
post #4 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

Two words....DEEP FRIED!!!!! I have had several, and have not had one that was the slightest bit dry. You slice into it, and the juice runs! They are the best!

Ha! That is what we are going to try this year! Bought my hubby a turkey fryer a couple of years ago and have not used it yet. We are hosting Christmas, so that is what we decided to do. Do you prepare the bird at all in anyway before hand?

silver__pixie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silver__pixie Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 12:25pm
post #5 of 31

Deep fried is my favorite! I am with the above post...never have had a dry turkey with deep fried. Always turn out moist, juicy, and very flavorful!

Brendansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendansmum Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 31

My secrect for a very moist turkey is to brine it. I saw the Alton Brown episode a few years back about it and have never again had a dry bird. I also got a digital thermometer to read the temp as it's cooking. But I did just rely on the pop up timer before. But the brine is the secret. It is a little extra step that to me is totally worth the trouble. I use a half salt half brown sugar or honey brine. Plus is seasons the turkey throughout, no need to season the outside. I always let mine thaw and then let it brine for 24 hours then roast. I always use my big stainless steel stock pot or this past year I had to use a large picle crock I had{I used a bigger turkey this year}. I really reccomend trying the brine. I get complements every year on my turkeys, you won't be disapointed. You can check out the food network for more info, just look under Alton Browns show.

Brendansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendansmum Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 12:34pm
post #7 of 31

Just one more thing to add. I have used all kinds of turkeys, I used to just by Butterball and another name brand one. This year I bought a Meijer brand turkey and I thought it tasted just as good as the others had. I was talking to another woman buying her turkey and she said she had always bought the store brands and they tasted just as good so I thought I would give it a try.

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 12:35pm
post #8 of 31

I have been using this recipe for YEARS and have never been disappointed! Actually, I don't use the exact recipe that I have (I can send it to you if you want, though) because I am not fond of all of the spices on the outside of the turkey - I don't find it lends much to the end result. But basically you just cut in half several lemons, limes and oranges and stuff (and I do mean STUFF until the bird is bulging) them into the turkey. I rub the outside with just a bit of oil and salt and pepper. Bake the recommended amount of time, but in the last 45 minutes baste with juice from a lemon, lime and orange mixed with some brown sugar and white wine. I always tent first and then let it brown in the last 45 minutes to an hour before it is done. Your turkey will be absolutely dripping with juice and will have that citrus flavor. Everyone just RAVES about the way it tastes. We usually end up making this several times a year, simply because it tastes so good and is so incredibly easy. You will never, never, never have a dry turkey when you do it this way!

denise4 Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 12:44pm
post #9 of 31

That sounds great Missy...I will certainly look in to that, thanks,...I have in past bought my turkey fresh not frozen, but from super market, but this year I've ordered one from a recomended butcher, so with sounds of it, I'm onto a winner this year with your info on marinating it... thanks icon_smile.gif

WOW jen1977....thats also fantastic...I've never even herd of a turkey frier...but then I am in Uk and we are a bit behind the times here icon_lol.gif

Thanks everyone for all the great info.....all I have to do now is try and work out which one to use!!!! looks like my mission will be solved...and can get a life after all icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

denise4 Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 12:58pm
post #10 of 31

Brenndansmom... I just wished I had asked about this before I ordered the turkey... I could have saved some money... its cost me an arm an a leg (or is that 2 legs an 2 wings icon_lol.gif )...I have to pay nearly £40 for this bird ($7icon_cool.gif...I could have got it from Tesco for a lot less and MARINATE it....will I ever learn...another new year resolution for me is ALWAYS ASK MY CC FRIENDS FOR ADVICE BEFORE DOING STUPID THINGS!!!

Thanks again all of you...YOU ARE ALL THE BEST!!! thumbs_up.gif

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 1:02pm
post #11 of 31

I've heard and read the same thing about the benefits of a brine. I have yet to cook a turkey that way b/c thanksgiving has always been at my sister's or my mom's house. My mom swears by the roaster bags that you cook the turkey in. They trap the moisture in the bag so the bird doesn't try out. Towards the end of cooking she cuts it open to brown the skin.

When I do my turkey breasts in the crockpot, I shove herb butter under the skin.

missyek Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 1:23pm
post #12 of 31

Let me know if you would like the brine recipe that I have--it is a bit different than Alton Brown's. I also have great instructions on how to prepare the bird after the brine just before cooking--involves lots of herbs and spices and fruit!

I think you going to the butcher and getting a fresh bird is the way to go and well worth the money! The store brand birds in my area are really not all the great--cheap, yes, but they taste that way too! But who knows, maybe a good brining can save them! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

denise4 Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 1:26pm
post #13 of 31

Yes please Missy, I would be grateful for recipe....they all sound great thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 1:34pm
post #14 of 31

I have always bought the "store" brand turkeys and never had a problem with a dry bird. I think that most folks over cook them ~ if it has the little "pop up" thing, IGNORE it, or take it out before cooking the bird. I set mine in the roaster on a bed of celery, carrots, and onions, with 1 cup of water added. I cover it with foil and baste it every 1/2 hour - the last 45 minutes to an hour I take the foil off and let it brown. Then the most important part is LET THE TURKEY REST after taking it out of the oven. Put the foil back on it and let it set for about an hour - that lets all the juices STAY in the turkey. (If you cut it right away, they just drain out and then you have a dry bird) It still stays VERY hot! I have been cooking turkeys this way for 30 years and everyone always wants to know how come they are never dry.

denise4 Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 1:38pm
post #15 of 31

Thanks quadcrew...I am so grateful for the wonderful tips. I agree with you on letting it rest a long time thumbs_up.gif

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 1:43pm
post #16 of 31

I have always cooked a pretty juicy turkey. I put them in a roasting pan on a cookie sheet and add a little water to create steam. I cover it with foil while cooking. Prior to cooking I always rinse and dry it very well. Melt butter and brush over it then I stick a full stick of butter in it. When the steam rises it brings the butter into the meat. I always make sure to baste very very often. Once it has about 30-45 minutes left I remove the foil to brown it. You must baste often. This can be an all night process if you do it overnight. Also use a thermometer to check internal temps. Don't just go by timing since each oven varies.

Finally let it rest. If you do not allow it to rest after it is cooked when you cut into it all the juices will flow out and it will dry out quickly. You should let it rest for approx. 30 minutes prior to cutting.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 1:44pm
post #17 of 31

I like those plastic cooking bags -- my mom used to use them and I like the idea too -- never had a dry bird here!! Also like Quadcrew said, ignore that little pop-up thermometer -- use a regular meat thermometer instead. The pop ups pop up too soon and the interior of the bird is often not done. Hope that helps!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 1:47pm
post #18 of 31

..I moved this to the lounge, since it is not cake related. Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 1:49pm
post #19 of 31

My mom and I bake our turkeys breast down with 2 sticks of butter inside it with a little water in the pan. Cover with foil. We bake it all night long from 11:00 p.m. till morning when we get up at about 250-300. It is always so moist!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 1:51pm
post #20 of 31

Two words: OVEN BAG !

I fill the cavity of the bird with onions, celery and oranges; melted butter over the turkey itself. Cook in the bag (30 min. per lb.) When it is completely cooked; leave it in the bag for AT LEAST 30-45 minutes to rest. Another benefit is AWESOME broth to use in your dressing (stuffing), giblet gravy and later in the week....turkey soup!

Don't you LOVE all the different ways to do things? I do...GREAT ideas on CC. I want to try brining and deep frying, but, as yet haven't had the time. Maybe next year!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!

Beth in KY

denise4 Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 1:54pm
post #21 of 31

I have just bought a oven themometer too, as my oven seems to run a little higher than it should... Bobwonderbuns, I've never heard of little pop up things, but I have also got a new meat thermometer, I know this sounds silly...but I'm actually looking forward to cooking the turkey now, will all this info under my belt from all you lovely people...I will get my "PERFECT TURKEY"

denise4 Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 2:09pm
post #22 of 31

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif SORRY...trust me to put it in wrong place, what am I like!!!!

Denise icon_smile.gif

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 2:14pm
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

Ha! That is what we are going to try this year! Bought my hubby a turkey fryer a couple of years ago and have not used it yet. We are hosting Christmas, so that is what we decided to do. Do you prepare the bird at all in anyway before hand?

The first time we did one, we injected it with cajun butter and didn't really care for it. The next few times, we didn't inject anything at all. Next time we may try plain melted butter. Before you fry, make suer you don't have too much oil in the fryer. Put the bird still wrapped into the fryer and fill it with water til it's covered. Take out the turkey and make a mark where the water level is. That's how much oil you'll need. Make sure the turkey is totally dry before you put it in the oil or it will spatter really bad. Good luck!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 2:32pm
post #24 of 31

If you are going to deep fry a turkey, make sure you have some LONG oven mitts to use while raising and lowering the bird into the hot fat. (also, lower the temp. of the oil to about 300 - then after the bird is comletely submursed, raise it to 350) We love deep fired turkey too, but we ususally do that in the summertime, since someone should be out there watching it the whole time ~ it gets kinda cold here to be standing outside in 20 degrees for an hour!! icon_eek.gif

oreochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oreochic Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 2:46pm
post #25 of 31

We deep fry our turkey for every occasion & everyone raves on them! This past Thanksgiving we had several close friends begging us to deep fry their birds for their family dinners as well. We endded up deep frying a total of 5 birds! Deep frying was not popular in the area we live in a few yrs back but it seems like since the 1st time any of our friends have tried a deep fried turkey they ask for one every year. Its really not hard to do either. You do have to prepare the bird a few days in advance to get the best flavor. I do mine cajun style but you can always season to your own taste. I buy a disposable injector & a jar of canned seasoning (usually these come together in a pack). I let the Turkey dethaw & clean out the insides, wash, etc. Then I make a few small cuts all over & put in some garlic halves & sliced green peppers. (my nana also puts in lemon) Then its time for the fun stuff! You take your injector & play Dr by giving the bird shots of flavor all over. I do this a few days before cooking & then again like that morning before you cook. I add a dry rub to the outside like Creole seasoning or Tonys (or both).
Before I deep fry I always tie up the legs & wings to hold in the flavor & to help keep it all together in the cooking process. Always pat dry your turkey before putting it in the deep fryer. I just use a few papertowels.
Deep fry w/Turkey fryer in Peanut Oil for about 3 1/2 min per pound.
The outside will be crisp (which is my husbands favorite part). When you cut into it... juicy! And normally turkey dries out a few days after its cooked. Not deep fried turkey! We take any left over turkey & freeze it for later use. When I dethaw & put it in the microwave its just as moist as it was the day I cooked it!
I hope this helps any of you who have ever wanted to try a deep fried turkey. I always do the prep work & let my husband do the deep frying. This way helps you out so you can have time talking to guest & finish up the rest of the cooking. And it gives the men something to talk about! I always end up with the guys all around the deep fryer like a big new toy!

missyek Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 3:29pm
post #26 of 31

Thanks for the info on the deep frying--had no idea that it took less time to cook! Yahoo!!! Hubby can stand out in the cold for it, or maybe we will make his brother... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

And I guess I am a true turkey snob! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif We use Butterball exclusively now because of our past experiences with store and cheaper brands. My mom, who can cook a mean turkey--even without a brine--has been cooking turkeys for over 30 years too and every time she would try a brand other than BB, we all noticed a difference in the taste--the birds were still moist (not over cooked) but it just did not taste as good and the texture was different too. I guess everyone has different tastes--just like with caking! icon_lol.gif

Okay, this is the recipe I found for the brine and prep for cooking. Really, this was the best darn turkey my family has had. the only problem is, my mom won't do it when she cooks--too much prep.

Brine Recipe:

1 small diced onion
1 diced celery stalk
1 medium diced carrot
3 sliced garlic cloves
3 bay leaves
1 Tb black peppercorns
3 sprigs each of rosemary, thyme and sage
6 sprigs of Italian parsley
1/2 cup iodized salt
3 gallons of cold water

A day before cooking the turkey, prepare the brine by combining all the ingredients. Put the turkey in a large bucket or pot and pour the brine over the turkey to submerge it. Put it in the fridge for 12 to 24 hours. When ready to bake, take the turkey out of the brine and pat it dry with paper towels. Discard the brine.

Turkey Preparation:
(This is based on a 16 pound turkey--adjust as necessary)

1 brined turkey (with the neck and giblets removed)
salt and pepper to season

In the bird:
2 roughly chopped carrots
2 roughly chopped celery stalks
1 apple sliced into wedges
1 orange sliced into wedges
4 whole garlic cloves, peeled

Under the bird:
1 medium dices onion
1 medium dices carrot
1 diced celery stalk
3 whole garlic cloves, peeled
3 bay leaves
3 sprigs each of rosemary, thyme and sage
6 sprigs of Italian parsley

On the bird:
1/4 pound unsalted butter sliced into pats
5 cups of chicken stock

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. After brining the turkey, salt and peeper the turkey--inside and out. Fill the bird with all the ingredients listed under "In the bird". Bind the legs with twine.

In a large pan, spread all the ingredients listed under "Under the bird". Place the turkey on its nice comfy bed! icon_wink.gif Put the butter pats on the turkey as well as between the skin and breast meat.

Put the bird in the over and roast for about 45 minutes. Pour half of the chicken stock over the turkey and roast for another 45 minutes. Pour the remaining stock over the bird and back in the oven for another 45 minutes--it will start to tune a nice golden brown.

Baste the bird with the pan juices and cover it lightly with foil and back in again for another 45 minutes. At this point, check the temp (should be between 165 and 175 degrees. Once done, keep it covered and let it rest for at least 10 minutes.

Wow! Now I am really hungry.... icon_lol.gif

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 3:45pm
post #27 of 31

We always buy fresh turkeys, killed the day or so before delivery and not injected with water and spices to make it weigh more (as are most supermarket turkeys - read the ingredient label) We always bake our turkey breast side down for all but the last 30 minutes of cooking. This way all the juices seep into the breast meat and don't end up in the bottom of the pan. You turn it over for the last 20-30 minutes so that the breast skin will brown.

oreochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oreochic Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 3:54pm
post #28 of 31

I have to agree with missyek. Butterball is the best!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

denise4 Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 5:15pm
post #29 of 31

Thanks missyek for all the great info...I'm definately going to try it thumbs_up.gif

navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 6:35pm
post #30 of 31

My mom and I bake our turkeys breast down with 2 sticks of butter inside it with a little water in the pan. Cover with foil. We bake it all night long from 11:00 p.m. till morning when we get up at about 250-300. It is always so moist!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%