Gotta Love Sam's Club

Decorating By mommarivera Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 11:06am by tana

christielee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christielee Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 10:01pm
post #31 of 39

Well, if anyone needs some they can come get mine! I bought a whole tub, and tried doctoring it up with all different stuff, and it was still nasty. And I don't know what the expiration date is on it, since they just put the date I bought it on the ticket, but I do wanna try the whipped topping one, and if it is good, I would love something easy to mix with fillings that is non dairy.

Christie

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:26am
post #32 of 39

I've tried both sam's and costco and neither would sell anything from the bakery that wasn't a finished product. I prefer homemade BC but thought maybe I could get shortening or edible images and everytime I've asked they look at me like I'm crazy.

cariage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cariage Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:23am
post #33 of 39

christilee, I am not far from you. I live in Lake Charles. I bought the sams icing and I didn't really like it straight from the container, but after adding a little powdered sugar and some flavorings it tastes really good. And even after adding the sugar and flavorings it is still very cost efficient. It will be really handy to have all that icing already prepared when it comes time to make a cake. I too want to try the whipped icing and the cream cheese. From comments here on CC it sounds great.

christielee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christielee Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:18pm
post #34 of 39

cariage, let me know if you get some of that whipped stuff!

Christie

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:29pm
post #35 of 39

If you don't like their icing you can take it back. They take back everything.

Chuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chuff Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 4:28pm
post #36 of 39

A friend of mine gave me a bucket of red icing that she bought from Sam's. She bought it to make a cake for a red hat party she was having - she only used about 2 cups - and gave me the rest. She said she paid $10 for it. I don't know how many pounds it is - I didn't look, but it's in a bucket about 1 gallon size.

Anyway, my whole family tasted it and LOVED it - except ME. They thought I was crazy - they even went so far as to say they couldn't tell a difference in mine & Sam's!! I guess you have to be a cake decorator to know the difference in YOUR icing and someone elses. Anyway, I will use this when a need for red icing arises, but I don't have the storage space for buckets of premade icing and I prefer the taste of my homeade anyway! Just my 2 cents!

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 10:09pm
post #37 of 39

My family is the same way. No one can tell the difference, but I sure can. So, now I make it then add different flavors just to see if they can find a difference.. hehe

Absolutely take back anything you are not satisfied with. Tell them exactly what's wrong with it. If they get enough complaints, maybe they will change it. I'm guessing the icing they sell in buckets, is not the same kind that's made in the bakery, if it's coming prepackaged and sealed. Just a guess. I don't know this for sure.

I do know you can return anything. One time, someone returned a cake and claimed it molded right after she bought it. Well, I couldn't believe that, so I looked at the cake. It was about a week old, made with the whipped icing, and someone had poured whiskey all over the top of it (you could smell it all over the bakery when you took the lid off). So, yeah, I guess it did mold if someone poured whiskey on it, and left it sitting out for a few days.

The point is, we still had to take it back and give her back her money. She had a receipt, and it was policy. If you aren't satisfied, you can return it.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 10:27am
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

If you don't like their icing you can take it back. They take back everything.

Tried to return it, my Sam's would not take it back because the seal was broken. My MIL bought it from me to use at Church in preschool worship with the children....so it was a good ending and no money wasted! I still need to get over there to try their cream cheese icing! It sure sounds yummy! Also, someone mentioned here that Sam's icing IS Dawn brand also. A friend of mine who is trying to get into cake decorating bought some Dawn, and although I still think it's nasty, it didn't taste anything remotely like what I bought at Sam's. I looked on the bucket and it had similar markings, but again, had an entirely different taste!

Wonder if anyone can share experience with "Brill" brand buttercream?

tana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tana Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 11:06am
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by christielee

cariage, let me know if you get some of that whipped stuff!

Christie

Well I bought Sams whipped topping... Only 17.88 for the big bucket...It taste good, but u get that aftertaste.. Very good for decorating and colors...Maybe i need to docter it up... icon_confused.gif And so far I've filled and decorated 3-10inc cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%