Black Cocoa

Decorating By Gingoodies Updated 13 Dec 2006 , 5:54am by carilyn

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 12:35am
post #1 of 6

Have you ever used it?? I ordered some from the King Arthur Flour Co. catalogue. When I got it I opened the bag to check it out. I thought they had sent me coal dust icon_surprised.gif !! The directions say to use it in combination with other cocoa, preferably dutch process. I was making chocolate cookies an decided to give it a shot. OH MY!!!! it is wonderful... dark dark dark and rich cookies. I put mint flavored candy pieces in the cookies. It was like eating a Girl Scout thin mint cookie.. but more so!!! I can't wait to try making a real dark chocolate buttercream with it. This is my find of the month!! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

5 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 12:48am
post #2 of 6

Wish I had known about this stuff yesterday when I was preparing to make my penguins for my non-dairy cake. lol Something to tuck away for the future. Thanks

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 12:52am
post #3 of 6

I use it all the time for my chocolate cakes. I haven't tried it in cookies yet though. I get it from King arthur also. It's great stuff. I use a combination of dutch and black with a touch of espresso powder (also from KAF) for my chocolate cakes. It does have a wonderfully deep rich chocolate flavor!

flourgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgrl Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 3:24am
post #4 of 6

I recently saw this in a magazine and was intrigued. I dont think it's available in Canada though icon_sad.gif
Rezzy....do you simply replace part of your cocoa in the recipe with the black stuff, or do you need to fiddle with your recipe a bit??

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 3:36am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourgrl

I recently saw this in a magazine and was intrigued. I dont think it's available in Canada though icon_sad.gif
Rezzy....do you simply replace part of your cocoa in the recipe with the black stuff, or do you need to fiddle with your recipe a bit??

My regular recipe calls for 3 tbs. cocoa. I just added 1 tb. black cocoa to it for a total of 4 tbs. cocoa. I didn't need to altar the recipe at all.
Here's a link to the King Arthur flour site. Don't know about the shipping costs to Canada though.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/list.jsp?select=C162&byCategory=C165

-Rezzy

carilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carilyn Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 5:54am
post #6 of 6

I used half reg and half black cocoa it wasnt very good. Next time I will use a more reg.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%