What Am I Doing Wrong??

Decorating By Katrinagarrett1980 Updated 6 Oct 2007 , 3:05pm by MacsMom

Katrinagarrett1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katrinagarrett1980 Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 11:30am
post #1 of 6

I just bought the shimmer dust in silver las night because I only had a few dollars on me and it was cheaper than the luster dust (Wiltons). but it looks aweful on the fondant....just grey...not silver!!

I am mixing with clear vanilla....dipping my brush in vanilla, lightly dipping in dust and trying to smooth over. Should I mix it first/ Did I just buy the wrong stuff?

What is really the difference between the shimmer and the pearl and the luster???

I am frustrated and have a shower today!!!

Thanks!

5 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 11:51am
post #2 of 6

I don't have any answers but here's a bump why don't you try mixing it then put it on the fondant

Molly2 icon_confused.gif

gakali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gakali Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 12:13pm
post #3 of 6

The shimmer dust does not work when you mix it with vanilla or vodka or anything. Basically, all you can do with that Shimmer dust is dust it on dry for a little bit of a sparkle. The luster dust, pearl dust, and sparkle dust that you can buy online right here at CC works wonderfully! They are super cheap, and super effective! You can brush them on dry (and you can actually see them without a microscope, unlike the lousy shimmer dust!), or you can mix them with vanilla, lemon, or alcohol for a beautiful metallic look! Hope that helps. If you go to the forums and do a search, there are MANY posts on this topic if you want more info. But I can save you time and let you know that the consensus is what I just said! icon_biggrin.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 6

Wilton does have a new product out there that are PEARL dusts. I believe one is silver so you would need to buy that one. If you bought the shimmer that is more like a sugar that you sprinkle on top of the cake.

Katrinagarrett1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katrinagarrett1980 Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the info!

I am new to all the terminology and different names. I did buy the shimmer dust and it worked great when I sprinkled it. I was wanting something with a smooth coverage when "painted" on. The Wilton Silver Shimmer is ugly as is their gold....a yellowish color.

But, I did like the white. It gives just a faint sparkle. I will just make sure to do more research before I buy something new next time. It is just so hard when you are at the store and don't realize how many things their are....and of course, no one around to help.

Thanks.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 3:05pm
post #6 of 6

I have both the "brilliant silver" and the "super pearl". It's funny because they are almost identical--when applied dry, anyway. The only difference seemed to be that the silver was shinier so I liked it better.

I used both of them on the same cake (on white "bubbles", my rubber ducky cake) because I was getting low on super pearl and you couldn't even tell a difference!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%