? About Walmart Generic Powdered Sugar...

Decorating By susies1955 Updated 6 Oct 2007 , 10:01pm by mpitrelli

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 34

I see that Walmart's powdered sugar is only $1.29 and my grocery store brand is $1.69. I find Domino's to be gritty.
Is the Walmart kind 10X and is it good?????
Thanks,
Susie

33 replies
rhiannon1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhiannon1979 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 34

I use the Wal-Mart brand all the time. When making a double batch it is nice to not have to measure the powered sugar out. I find the taste to be pretty good. I have no problems with it at all. I hope I helped icon_razz.gif

susies1955 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 34

Thanks, yes it does help. I just found the name online as GREAT VALUE! I was surprised when I looked it over it didn't say 10X anywhere.
Appreciate your help,
Suise

shivs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shivs Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 34

Some off brand sugars are not made from pure cane sugar. They are made from beet sugar. I was going to get the walmart brand last time I went but they were completley out, so I couldnt read if it was 10X or if it used pure cane and not beet sugar.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 34

The generic brand that I bought last week (thinking I had found a deal) turned out to be beet sugar. I think it was called Great Value or something like that. It was gritty and I only used it for practice icing, but then again I think 10x Domino's is gritty also.

susies1955 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 34

I read the back of the Great Value Walmart brand and it didn't say beet? I can't remember exactly what it said.........cane maybe????? HUM! Thanks girls. Maybe I will buy (1) and give it a whirl. I do love the Price Chopper brand. icon_smile.gif
Susie

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 11:52pm
post #7 of 34

I have a bag of it right here. It's Great Value, ingredients are beet sugar and cornstarch.

At my Walmart it's $.98 a bag (2 pounds). I use it all the time and don't find it to be gritty.

Missy

trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 11:59pm
post #8 of 34

I used to use walmart exclusively, but now only use it when I am there and don't feell like going anywhere else. It is fine to use and the icing turns out fine. The problem I had was that I would take up 10 or so bags and find out when I put them on the conveyor belt to check out, they had tiny holes in half of the bags. You can tell when you pat it and sugar comes out. So, just be careful when you buy. make sure there are no holes. HTH

susies1955 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 12:03am
post #9 of 34

Girls thanks for all of the information. icon_smile.gif
I just love this forum.
Susie

cakescraps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakescraps Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 12:06am
post #10 of 34

i use the walmart brand all the time and have not had any trouble. I buy the 2 lb. bags. for about half the price of C & H.

lilmansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmansmum Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 12:18am
post #11 of 34

I have never used anything but Walmart's brand of powdered sugar (Great Value). It has always worked perfectly for me, and the taste is just fine. I have noticed occasionally, though, that there are sometimes holes in the bags like trumpetmidget said. If it has a hole, I just put it back and get another one.

Melonie1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melonie1005 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 12:18am
post #12 of 34

Ok, I have a question. I have a 2lb bag of Great Value powdered sugar that I purchased from Walmart and it list the ingredients as cane sugar and cornstarch, not the beet sugar as someone above stated. Does this vary by region or state? Just curious. I never seen beet sugar or heard of it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 3:02am
post #13 of 34

Store brands use what they can get their hands on. So while one area may have one anothe area may have another.

I've been using the GV brand for over a year. I do check when I buy it to make sure it does say cane sugar on it. If it says cane or pure cane then it is what you want. Just read the ingredients to see. icon_smile.gif

pamsdolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamsdolls Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 3:12am
post #14 of 34

I have been using the WalMart brand with no problems. But the other day I was putting a couple of bags on the counter to pay for it and sat it down sorta hard - hmmm found the small holes then lol all over the place - told them sorry I didn't want that one.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 3:20am
post #15 of 34

What is the difference between cane sugar and beet sugar in relation to making icing? I realize the actual difference in what they are made from, but do you get different results if you use one over the other? Just curious. I've always bought the GV brand because it's cheap and I've never checked the label.

afh0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afh0212 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 3:24am
post #16 of 34

I use Great Value brand ALL THE TIME!! I have had absolutely no problems with it at all. Mine does say Cane Sugar.

bakenboi29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakenboi29 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 3:40am
post #17 of 34

I use the Walmart brand and Domino's powdered sugar. I never had any problems with the Walmart brand and cannot tell too much the difference. The Cane sugar is made from pure sugar cane and is much purer and beet sugar is made from sugar beets. Beet sugar is not recommended for cooking because it doesn't melt as evenly as pure can sugar. It should be fine in uncooked frostings though. icon_smile.gif HTH.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 3:50am
post #18 of 34

I only use the Wal Mart brand and what I have now says beet sugar. I've never seen any difference between using beet or cane sugar and I have never had a problem with it at all. I don't think holes in plastic bags is really exclusive to Wal Mart, do you really? I always give the bags a squeeze when I pick them up and if they don't deflate at all into my cart it goes. One day, for some reason that has escaped me ever since, I squeezed a bag of pow sugar as I was setting it up on the conveyor belt and it popped all over the belt. I first let out a shreik in surprise and then a burst of laughter and handed it to the checker. She called someone to get me another bag and all I could manage to say was "I don't know WHY I did that!" I laughed all the way to my car. The bag didn't HAVE a hole, I POPPED it!

I just don't see any difference in beet or cane sugar.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 4:30am
post #19 of 34

Way back when I tried the WalMart brand of sugar (not sure if it was beet or cane sugar) but found it to taste VERY much like burned marshmallows.....literally! I knew it tasted like something and my daughter nailed it.....burned marshmallows! That was years ago....I'm a 100% Dominos gal now! Anywho....just the other day I thought I would try it again because it was on sale for $.98/bag.....AGAIN.....burned marshmallows! hmmmm?

Sionann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sionann Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 8:01am
post #20 of 34

I started using the Great Value brand about two months because of the price. I find it to be less gritty than Domino. Also I never have to sift it. The ingredients list on the bags I have in my pantry say cane sugar and cornstarch. I've never had any problems with it.

susies1955 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 8:20am
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

............."I don't know WHY I did that!" I laughed all the way to my car. The bag didn't HAVE a hole, I POPPED it!

I'm loving this thread. icon_smile.gif
You are just too funny. I'll have to remember to not be rough with my powdered sugar. LOL!
Susie

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:28pm
post #22 of 34

But Susie I didn't squeeze hard, I just didn't remember to check for air leaks until I got to the check out, so gave it a little squeeze like usual.

**Smiling calmly as I dust the sugar off the cashier's face and shirt. "Well, have a nice evening!" Running with cart to car stiffling my laughter until I'm safely inside. Ahhh.........

You just have to laugh at life sometimes, it's healthier than not.

martmarg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martmarg Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:44pm
post #23 of 34

I always use the powdered sugar from WalMart (great value) and it does say cane sugar. I started using it because my Walmart is always out of C&H but anyway I've never tasted the difference. Yesterday I bought 5 bags from Albertson's because their brand was $1. So I'll try it and see how it comeS OUt.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:48pm
post #24 of 34

I have found that many generic or store brands of powdered sugar (when they are the beet sugar) are way too sweet. And if it's too sweet for me... that's REALLY too sweet!
Also, with the regular sugar, not powdered, if you try making fudge with the beet sugar, it most likely won't set up.

pammelasue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammelasue Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:57pm
post #25 of 34

CarolAnn ~ I had to laugh...that is TOTALLY something that would happen to me!

I've never looked at the ingredients on the bags but probably 80% of the time I do use the Great Value brand just because I'm there and it's cheap! Never even thought to look!

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:57pm
post #26 of 34

I recently bought a huge bag of multiple 2 lb. bags at Costco because it was such a good deal and haven't had any issues with the sugar. I've used C&H, Domino's, Walmart, Kroger's, you name it, and they all work the same for me. Now I go with the best price.

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 2:07pm
post #27 of 34

I found that some powdered sugars have a different taste...I never thought to look at the ingredients, I assumed it was all the same. Hmmm...

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 2:16pm
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie1005

Ok, I have a question. I have a 2lb bag of Great Value powdered sugar that I purchased from Walmart and it list the ingredients as cane sugar and cornstarch, not the beet sugar as someone above stated. Does this vary by region or state? Just curious. I never seen beet sugar or heard of it.

It very well could be regional, we hardly ever see cane sugar around here. We live in North Dakota where alot of sugar beets are grown, especially down in the Red River Valley by Fargo and Grand Forks. In the fall when they're trucking them they'll be beets on the roads, I've heard of low cars getting hung up on big beets.

As far as cooking with beet sugar I've never had a problem or heard anyone else complain, the only time I notice a difference is when I'm eating the sugar straight. icon_lol.gif We really have to go out of our way to get cane sugar, even brand names around here are made from beet sugar.

And I shop in little tiny grocery stores and have to check my sugar for holes.

I was looking around about cane vs beet and found something interesting about cane sugar that I didn't know. They sometimes use animal bones in the refining process, it's called bone char, so some people wouldn't want to eat it if they're picky about how their food is processed.

susies1955 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 5:27pm
post #29 of 34
Quote:

But Susie I didn't squeeze hard,........

CarolAnn,
Sure ok.......we will believe that story. LOL!
I wish I could have been there.
thumbs_up.gif
Susie

susies1955 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 5:28pm
post #30 of 34
Quote:

But Susie I didn't squeeze hard,........

CarolAnn,
Sure ok.......we will believe that story. LOL!
I wish I could have been there.
thumbs_up.gif
Susie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%