Mmf Question

Decorating By mvucic Updated 2 Aug 2005 , 5:53am by mvucic

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 7

Can you freeze MMF? If not, how long can it last at room temperature and/or in the refridgerator?

TIA!

6 replies
tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 7

I wouldn't advise putting it in the fridge either. But as for leaving it out, it depends on if you want the pieces to dry hard or not. For a regular cake, I haven't gone more than 2 days myself. But I have dried pieces hard up to a week and the kids and adults still liked the taste. Hope this helps!@
Tanya

mvucic Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 12:43am
post #3 of 7

That's too bad. I was hoping I could make it in advance. I don't have a cake to make this week, but I just might for the heck of it! I'm dying to try MMF!

So, when the cake is covered it can sit for 2 days, like fondant? And scraps are trash?

Thanks again!

wandy27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wandy27 Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 12:53am
post #4 of 7

You don't have to freeze it just wrap it well in plastic wrap and store it in a plastic container. I've stored mine for more than a week and it was good. If it hardens a little just microwave it between 5 to 10 seconds (depending on the amount), knead it, and it's new again.

Wandy

marv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marv Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 2:08am
post #5 of 7

i normally just wrap the mmf in a ziploc and place it in another plastic container and would still be ok...just microwave it again for a few seconds and will be ready to use again..

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 2:34am
post #6 of 7

It will be just fine wrapping it in saran wrap. I also put it in tinfoil then a ziploc bag. The tinfoil is just so sunlight or light from your kitchen doesn't turn the color. With Wilton fondant I froze it all the time. It just isn't wize to put it in the frig it will get too moist. I would try freezing a little bit & see what happens. I made my MMF about 3 wks ago. It is still good. So it will last a while!

I do just like Marv & Wandy said. Just microwave it for a few minutes & knead. Sometimes you will have hard peices that won't soften up. You just take those off & throw them away. BE CAREFUL after you take the MMF out of the microwave!! I thought it was cooled off so I started kneading it... NOT!!! The outside was cool but the inside was piping hot!! I burnt 3 fingers!! So be careful~ icon_smile.gif

mvucic Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 5:53am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all the info! I'm looking forward to making some tomorrow! I love this site icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%