Pastry School Choice

Decorating By mears202 Updated 12 Oct 2007 , 3:20am by crazy4sugar

mears202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mears202 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 12

Since i have been doing cake decorating and am self taught, it has inspired my 18 year old to go to pastry school. she is looking at the French Pastry School in Chicago. does anyone here know anything about the school? is there a better one somewhere? love to hear your comments!

11 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 12

It has an excellent reputation. Does she know what kind of pastry she want to work in? She might contact one of the chefs who work in that style and ask them. I have found they are normally (not all) generous with that kind of recommendation.

Jacques Torres or Toba Garrett would be I would ask.

mears202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mears202 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 12

She's interested in doing cakes and opening a bakery later. Thanks for your reply. Its hard to send your kids away to school, especially one where you don't get a degree. So, just trying to be sure that when she goes to pastry school, she gets a top education in the field!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 12

I went to California Culinary Academy in San Francisco and I LOVED IT!!

MimiFord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFord Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 12

Le Cordon Bleu should be in Chicago - that's where I would go. JMO

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 12

I have look into schools and I almost thought pastry school was the way to go. It is very specific and if she wants to do just that the one that I'm thinking of (Kendall) I have heard it's very good. Chicago is a GREAT place to get started. So full of life, art, things to do! She would learn so much there.

Le Cordon Bleu is a great school but, you have to do the degree for culinary arts...its not as specific there. I don't think! icon_lol.gif

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 12

I just have to say that just because you get a degree in something, doesn't mean you're more serious about it or better at it. I've got a degree in psychology but I want to be a sugar artist when I grow up!

She could get a degree in Culinary Arts from Ivy Tech but the experience of attending the French Pastry School would be much more beneficial job wise...

MimiFord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFord Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 12

Le Cordon Bleu Pâtisserie and Baking Arts Program at

The Cooking and Hospitality Institute of Chicago.

http://www.lecordonbleuschoolsusa.com/baking.asp

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 2:43pm
post #9 of 12

The French Pastry School has a world-wide reputation for excellence. It would be my only choice.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

hey_lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hey_lady Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:44am
post #10 of 12

I have been looking at pastry schools and the only school I have found that offers a bachelor's degree in baking and pastry is Johnson & Wales University in the US. Might be worth looking into.

weezasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weezasmom Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:00am
post #11 of 12

Fox Valley Technical college in Appleton, Wisconsin They have 1 of 225 certified pastry chefs in the world as one of their teachers. My daughter is going there and loves it.

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:20am
post #12 of 12

I love Johnson & Wales in Rhode Island.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%