My Friend Just Told Me My Cake Is Ugly!

Decorating By EmilyGrace Updated 26 Sep 2007 , 11:07am by BabyC1985

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:51am
post #61 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepdreamcake

Let me just say, I really like your cake! I think the colors are nice, the leaves are well done and the whole thing looks really professional. For the sake of argument, though, maybe you misunderstood your friend. When you clarified and said her words were that you "did a pretty good job considering what an ugly cake it was", it sounded like maybe she meant you did a good job with a design that she thinks is ugly. Meaning that she was really insulting the original Martha Stewart cake. Granted it was still an uncouth, thoughtless thing to say, but maybe she didn't mean it the way you thought. Just an idea to maybe make you feel better! icon_smile.gif

This is what I thought.

PieceoCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceoCake Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:41am
post #62 of 85

Are you sure she is your friend? I wouldn't call a person like that a friend. The cake is very beautiful, and to tell you the truth I think your colors are even better than the Martha Stewart cake.

tasha27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasha27 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:51am
post #63 of 85

Doesn't sound like a friend to me. I mean the colors are a little odd but hey it wasn't you that decided that so that is not your fault. THe only thing that matters is the bride loved it. Screw your so called friend.

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 7:44am
post #64 of 85

hey kettlevalley girl

her name is Tina

gingerkitten79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerkitten79 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 7:58am
post #65 of 85

she may not have meant to hurt your feelings but she may have meant the style is ugly, not necessarily your cake. Personally, its not my thing, neither is marthas version, doesnt mean you didnt make a cake that was exactly what the bride was after. And in the end, thats what the bride wanted, and thats what matters.

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 8:34am
post #66 of 85

EmilyGrace, you've got FIVE pages of posts - all pretty mcuh saying the same thing!

Your work is excellent.
You produced exactly what the bride wanted
Your "friend" is a nasty, evil, unpleasant b**ch - ditch her!

Keep up the beautiful work - you have real talent there!

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 10:07am
post #67 of 85

She's just nasty! I think the cake is beautiful. You can see it took skill and LOTS of work - attention to detail etc. I like the cake (and the colours)!!! thumbs_up.gif Ignore her ...

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 1:35pm
post #68 of 85

From what she said alone , I don't think your friend was being nasty or mean..,.she simply said that you did a good job on a cake that was based off of an ugly design...

I agree...I think Martha's cake is not that great looking,but you did a nice job. Sometimes I think we are a little hypersensitive to what people say because you put a lot of work into it and you want it to look nice.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:21pm
post #69 of 85

I didn't read all the posts but the only thing ugly I see is her nastiness.
Not one friend of mine has ever made a cutting remark about my cakes or anything else. Who needs people around like that!?!?
Hopefully your ''non-friend'' will grow up and learn some manners.
YOUR CAKE IS FABULOUS!!!

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:22pm
post #70 of 85

Edited my post to say:

After re-reading your original post, it does seem that she is talking about the design, not necessarily your decorating skills. I'm just thinking that's not her style. There are some cakes that I, too, really don't like the design, but the workmanship is really good.

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:40pm
post #71 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanzah67

I think it's very nice!

icon_confused.gif I hope you know that I meant "very nice cake" and NOT nice friend icon_confused.gif

I love the style thumbs_up.gif You did a great job and gave your client what she wanted!

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:54pm
post #72 of 85

I haven't read the whole thread yet; but your cake is not ugly at all!! I think you did a great job!!

PhishTech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PhishTech Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:02pm
post #73 of 85

I think its awesome. Its inspiring me already for the fall themed cake I am making for this friday. Tell your friend to keep her negative comments to herself and give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done! icon_biggrin.gif

cococakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cococakes Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:12pm
post #74 of 85

I think the cake is beautiful your "friend" is jealous of your skills that's why in her eyes she thinks it's ugly.

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:21pm
post #75 of 85

Emily Grace, You are talented and she may just be envious.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:29pm
post #76 of 85

OK, so I would never choose that cake in a month of Sundays for my wedding (I hate brown anything!), but you did it magnificently!

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:30pm
post #77 of 85

I don't think your cake is ugly, but if she does and she is your friend, and friends are there to give you her honest opinion, so be it, she doesnt like it and she tells you, no big deal, no everybody is going to like every single thing we do.

KODYSMOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KODYSMOM Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:31pm
post #78 of 85

I think you did a great job on the cake....it is very nice.

I also have to say that you have a very good and positive attitude. Instead of letting her get you down and feeling like you did a bad job, you are confident that you did a fine job! icon_wink.gif

Keep you the good work!!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:32pm
post #79 of 85

I think "not to her taste" would have been a better description. The cake looks great! Same as MS's just different colors!

Debbie

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:39pm
post #80 of 85

I think your cake is better looking than Martha Stewart's. You did a great job on it. Tell your friend that you like it & the bride liked it, then add "Put that in your juice box & suck it."
My daughter is in the "your face....." thing right now, so she would have said "Your face is ugly, ..." Then she would add the juice box thing.

**** I forgot to add.....
Count all of the opinions on here. All of these are positive. The ones I read were. All of these cancels out her 1 opinion.

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 6:46pm
post #81 of 85

Thought your teacher may be Kathy b. she teaches out of Michaels in Langley, and Cookshop, Vancouver, great teacher....

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 7:08pm
post #82 of 85

Wow... thanks everyone... I really needed that boost. You all are so sweet.

I agree with what some of you are saying, that she probably wasn't commenting on my skills but on the design, but I guess just the way she said it wasn't the nicest way. She wrote to me "you did a pretty good job considering what it was...hahaha... I can't believe they wanted all that ugly stuff on there!" I could understand if she said it wasn't her taste at all but I didn't think it was ugly! I would hate to create something that everyone thought was ugly! Not your style is totally different than ugly!

I was talking to my husband about it and he just kept telling me that he was sure that was not what she meant... until I read him what she wrote, his reply "oh... ouch, yah... that's not very nice." I'm sure she was just thinking the design was ugly... but as a cake decorator you always have some input into the design and in talking with the couple we thought this would look nice and go with her brown/green maple leaf theme. To then hear that the design you helped pick is ugly, well it kinda hurts. Like I said before not your style is different than ugly! Oh well, I'm not goinna worry about it anymore... she can think it's ugly all she wants! The bride and groom loved it and you guys think it's just fine!
Thanks again everyone.

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 7:26am
post #83 of 85

Jealousy can turn people into really mean creatures.....and that is so sad. Your cake is lovely as most have already confirmed. As for your friend you might want to re-evaluate your friendship.

Sionann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sionann Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 8:45am
post #84 of 85

I think the cake is great. And bottom line...the bride and groom loved it so that's what really counts.

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 11:07am
post #85 of 85

Its great, not my taste but well made. Well done.
I had a look at your photos and they are all very nice and made well, you clearly are a talented cake maker, so next time someone says anything bad about one of you cakes just remember that everyone on cc thinks different. Well done

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%