What Is Your Favorite Food At A Buffet Party?

Decorating By kathik Updated 29 Nov 2006 , 4:04pm by kathik

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 5:19am
post #1 of 41

I am trying to come up with some creative ideas for a buffet I'm hosting. I need some meat or vegetarian ideas, but no dairy. I'm tired of doing the same stuff! icon_redface.gif Anyway, please post your favorite items, especially if they can be made bite size!

In case anyone else is interested, I'll post one.

One of my favorites is to use mini phyllo cups and fill with chicken salad with chopped pecans and peaches in it. Always popular and no mess. icon_wink.gif

Thanks,
Kathi

40 replies
moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 5:38am
post #2 of 41

Ok this is kinda crazy--Budig meat with cream cheese wrapped aound a pickle or tortilla with cream cheese and jalepenos.

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 6:20am
post #3 of 41

Ok I do these little sweet and sour meatballs. I have them in a crockpot for all our family gathering. And if I don't make them or don't attend the function and don't send them to the function I NEVER HERE THE END OF IT. Here it is

1 1/2 lbs ground beef
2/3 cup cracker crumbs
1/2 cup minced onion
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 cup milk
1 Tbls shortening( but I use oil)

3 tsp. ginger
4 Tbls. cornstarch
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 (14 oz) can pineapple tidbits drain(reserve syrup)
2/3 cup vinegar
2 Tbls soysauce
2/3 cup chopped green pepper

Mix the beef, crumbs, onion, egg, salt, 1/4 tsp. ginger, and the milk.Shape the mixture by Tablspoonfuls into balls. Put shortening or oil in the large skillet: brown and cook meatballs. Remove meatballs( I put mine into crockpot) Pour fat from skillet. Mix cornstarch and sugar in a bowl. Stir in the reserved pineapple syrup, vinegar, soysauce and 3 tsps. of ginger until smooth. Pour into skillet, cook over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils. Takes about a minute. To the meatballs add the pineapple tidbits and green pepper while the sauce is cooking. Then add the sauce and mix together. I usually do these the night before and place my crockpot crock in the fridge over night. take out in the morning and put it in the base and warm them up. I put them on high if I need them right away and stir them often when on high so they don't scorch. But I put them on warm to serve.

I made these and can't go without then now. My mom make little weenies in BBQ sauce in the crockpot. Or my favorite are her sausage balls I think the recipe is on the jimmydean sausage package. But if you want it I can look it up for you. And she also wraps little weenies with cresent roll dough and bakes them those are also a big hit with our family. Especially the kids. OUr family get togethers are always buffets. We all contribute to the buffet thumbs_up.gif I hope this helps you thumbs_up.gif We place toothpicks beside the plates for them.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 6:33am
post #4 of 41

I like a simple one, steamed prawns or large shrimp, peeled, wrapped with a blanched Chinese snow pea, skewered with a cocktail pick and served with a homemade Russian dressing for dipping.

They look very pretty if you use a tall green Styrofoam cone, wrap it with curly endive or a curly leaf lettuce held in place with toothpicks pushed in far enough to not show. Then stick the wrapped shrimp all around the suface of the tree, you can stick a cherry tomato on the top for a topper.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 6:42am
post #5 of 41

Gosh about everything I can think of either has cream cheese or cheddar cheese.

I do make a fruit tray with decorative picks. I take the pick or short skewer and put on a whole cherry, a pineapple chunk, and a mandarin orange. I like to use a round tray and lay them on it in a circle. It makes a pretty show and almost everybody eats fruit.

milklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milklady Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 6:52am
post #6 of 41

As someone who keeps kosher as well, here are some ideas.

Chicken satay (on a stick, with peanut dipping sauce)
stuffed mushrooms (w/ bread crumbs, mushrooms, onions, white wine, olive oil)
crudite
sushi if you have access to good fish
fruit skewers
dolma (stuffed grape leaves)
pita and hummus
baba ganoush
felafel with a toothpick and tehina on the side
cucumber with lox, and a bit of a dill/tofutti cream cheese spread
canapes with sauteed mushrooms
canapes with tapenade
mini pareve quiches are always a hit

fmandds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmandds Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 6:58am
post #7 of 41

I don't know or have a name for my favorite bite size appetizer. I like appetizers with food in them and I think this is pretty simple.

I take a package of Pillsbury crescent rolls and roll it out so there are no longer any seams. Take a round cutter and cut out 24 circles. Place into mini muffin pan. Take shredded/cubed meat(turkey, ham, roast beef, pepperoni, etc.) and mix with cheese(multiple cheeses to name any specific) and a sauce(mayo, mustard, ranch, pizza, etc.). Spoon mixture into mini muffin cups with rolls in them. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

You can make these with any type of filling, as you can see from above directions. My favorites combos are: ham, swiss, mayo. turkey, cranberry, cheddar.

kathik Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 41

Thanks! I'm sorry I should have mentioned, I do need to avoid shrimp, prawns, crab and all dairy products, although I can substitute tofutti cream cheese, tofutti sour cream and non-dairy creamer for some things. I appreciate all the ideas so far.

milklady, can you serve the parve quiches at room temperature? If so, would you mind sending me a recipe or flavor suggestions?

I appreciate the ideas, I can definitely adapt and use some of these. Anyone else, please post your favorites to bring or eat!

Thanks,
Kathi

milklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milklady Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 41

You can definitely serve mini quiches at room temp. You need to make them in advance, refrigerate, and then bring to room temp the day of. I don't have any recipes, per se, but there are plenty out there.

Another one that goes over really well is Asian noodles salad in a small chinese takeout container. These are so cute!

cakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerator Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 4:13pm
post #10 of 41

bruschetta on toasted baguettes

you can make homemade bruschetta pretty simply or buy it in a jar already made.

bruschetta: (sorry i don't have exact amounts - i just go by taste when i make it)
plum tomatoes (seeded and chopped)
olive oil ( 1 -2 tbsp depending on how many tomatoes you use)
minced garlic ( 1-2 cloves depending on how much you love garlic - i use 2)
chopped basil leaves
dash of cayenne pepper

stir mixture together

baguettes:
cut slices about 1/2 inch and lightly toast on broil
take out warm and spread a small amount of olive oil on each piece

place about a tsp of bruschetta mixture on top and viola! icon_biggrin.gif

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 5:25pm
post #11 of 41

I love meatballs. I always look for meatballs on a buffet. icon_smile.gif

kathik Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 4:58am
post #12 of 41

These are sounding really good! Just reading that bruschetta recipe made me hungry!! Thanks for the great ideas. icon_smile.gif

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 5:10am
post #13 of 41

OMG, y'all are making me hungry!!!!
Why not try an artichoke/spinach dip with tofu or tufotti cream cheese? Let me know if you need a recipe. HTH

LukeRubyJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeRubyJoy Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 5:18am
post #14 of 41

I really like black bean dip.

The one I make (out of a cooking light cookbook) doesn't have any dairy (as I am a recent "no dairy" convert for health reasons icon_sad.gif would never have given up cheese otherwise!!!) (other dairy lovers could always add the dairy into it, but it is FINE without) This is actually EXTREMELY healthy!

You could use veggies as a vehicle, or pita chips or tortilla chips....

I also really like nuts and seeds. Rachel Ray did this thing on thanksgiving in 60 min II that was garbanzo beans. She put them in a skillet for about 15 min., then added some paprika and salt/pepper.....yummy! she also did this thing with olives (I don't really like olives myself, but many people do icon_smile.gif )

Can you do chocolate?

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 5:18am
post #15 of 41

Well, it's nothing exciting but being on weight watchers I always appreciate a nice veggi tray!

reneemw3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reneemw3 Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 5:26am
post #16 of 41

One of my favorites is a Paula Dean recipe from Food Network

Sweet chicken Bacon Wraps

1 1/4 lb cubes chicken breast (1 inch)
1 lb slice bacon
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 tblsp chili powder

Cut bacon into 1/3's. Wrap each chicken cube with bacon and secure with toothpick. Dredge into brown sugar and chili powder mixture. Bake on a rack in broiler pan at 350 for 30-35 minutes.

My family loves these and we have them at all our parties.

We also love chicken wings and marinated avacados. Those recipes are on www.foodnetwork.com also. I find that sight addicting also.

Hope this helps.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 5:55am
post #17 of 41

Mini Appetizer Puffs filled with egg salad, chicken salad, seafood salad use the fake crab sticks, tuna or smoked salmon.

Teriyaki Beef Sticks

1 lb. lean beef
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 Tblsp. sugar
1 tsp. raw ginger, grated
1 grated garlic clove
f.g. (a few grains) monosodium glutamate

Have meat sliced 1/8-inch thick; cut in 2-inch strips. Weave onto water soaked bamboo skewers. Mix together next five ingredients. Pour over skewered beef and marinate 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Broil until heated through. If there is not enough marinade to cover beef or is marinade is too salty cut with water- not soy sauce.

ShirleyW Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 6:27am
post #18 of 41

Mushroom Onion Puff Pastry Pinwheels

2 Sheets Pepperidge Farms Puff Pastry thawed in the package overnight in the fridge

1 lb. white mushrooms finely diced, caps only, no stems
1/2 yellow onion finely minced
1 teaspoon dried Thyme
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Tablesppon margarine or butter

Combine the oil and margarine in a large frying pan, when bubbling add the diced mushrooms and cook on medium high heat, stir till mushrooms are soft and the liquid has been absorbed. Remove the mushrooms to a mixing bowl. Add a bit more oil to the pan and cook the minced onion till limp. Add onion to the bowl of mushrooms, sprinkle with seasonings, stir to combine and allow to cool to room temperature.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Unwrap and open up the pastry sheets, divide the filling between the two sheets, spread evenly and leave a 1" margin of pastry at one narrow end. Roll the pastry jelly roll fashion from the narrow side. Put the rolls seam side down in the freezer until firm, slice each roll into slices about 1/2" thick. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet or line the pan with a Silpat mat. Bake at 375 degrees until puffed and golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes. Check to see if they are browned on both sides, if not flip them over with a spatula and continue to bake just till golden brown on both sides. Not too dark or they will be dry. These are very good and go quickly, many people think the filling has sausage in it.

barbara-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbara-ann Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 3:15pm
post #19 of 41

I just love the relish trays at parties. Cucumber, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, pickles, green and black olives. Yumm-o!

kathik Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 3:24pm
post #20 of 41

Wow!! You guys have have some great ideas!

nefgaby, I would love a recipe for spinach dip, if you wouldn't mind.

LukeRubyJoy, do you think the garbanzo bean recipe is posted on food network? Do you remember the name? I've never tried black bean dip, but I'll have to look up a recipe. Yes, I can do chocolate. I never have trouble coming up with desserts or candy ideas, just regular food items! icon_lol.gif

misterc, yes, I always include a nice veggie tray, too. It can be exciting to see one if you're sick of all the rich foods from the holidays.

Narie, the teriyaki beef sticks sound yummy, but do I need to use the msg?

reneemw3, I can't do bacon, but I'll definitely check out the food network site!

ShirleyW, these sound yummy. Can they be served at room temperature?

You guys are great! Great ideas, too.

Kathi

LukeRubyJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeRubyJoy Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 4:14pm
post #21 of 41

Kathi, if you look under the Rachel Ray Thanksgiving in 60 II, you will find it in the appetizer section. But, basically, what I told you is all there is. The olive thing is there if you want to try that, I don't really remember all of it.

I can also PM the black bean recipe I use, if you would like me to. icon_smile.gif

ShirleyW Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 5:28pm
post #22 of 41

ShirleyW, these sound yummy. Can they be served at room temperature?

You guys are great! Great ideas, too.

Kathi[/quote]

Yes, they stay crisp for several hours, but are best served hot from the oven.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 5:38pm
post #23 of 41

Pigs in a Blanket!

Cresent rolls unrolled and sliced lengthwise (8 becomes 16)
Cocktail weiners

Roll the cocktail weiners up in cresent rolls and bake at 350 until golden brown!

YUM YUM!!

Beth from KY

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 5:47pm
post #24 of 41

Spinach dip is an amust here, I'll post my recipe in a minute when I find it!!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 5:49pm
post #25 of 41

After tasting it for the first time at my niece's baby shower a couple of months ago

(I thought it was a casserole so I loaded my plate with it...one of my sisters approaches me and asks, "Uh, Jeanne, WTH are you doing???" I replied, "Have you tasted this casserole??? It is awesome!!!" hysterical laughter soon follows along with tears running from her eyes and a wheezing noise 'cause she can't catch her breath and she belts out...."That ain't no damned casserole! that is spinach artichoke dip!!!")

I'd have to say it is spinach artichoke dip/casserole

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 5:59pm
post #26 of 41

here a few things I serve at my christmas party:

White Bean Dip with Pita Chips
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil, plus 4 tablespoons
1/4 cup (loosely packed) fresh Italian parsley leaves
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
6 pitas
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Place the beans, garlic, lemon juice, 1/3 cup olive oil, and parsley in the work bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is coarsely chopped. Add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the bean puree to a small bowl.

Cut each pita in half and then into 8 wedges. Arrange the pita wedges on a large baking sheet. Pour the remaining oil over the pitas. Toss and spread out the wedges evenly. Sprinkle with the oregano, salt, and pepper. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until toasted and golden in color.
Serve the pita toasts warm or at room temperature alongside the bean puree.

Baked Artichoke Dip

One cup Mayonnaises
One cup Shredded Parmesan cheese
One cans Artichoke hearts (not marinated.) Chopped.

Mix the ingredients together. Pour dip in a bread bowl or a baking dish (spray with pam).

Wrap bread with foil or cover dish with foil.

Bake at 425 degrees for 45 minutes. Then take the top off, wrap the foil around the edges of the bread so it doesn't burn, and broil for about 5 minutes until cheese
starts to brown.

Crabmeat Roll-Ups

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
¼ cup cocktail sauce
1 (8 ounce) package imitation crabmeat, chopped
¼ cup shredded Swiss cheese
¼ cup chopped green onion
4 (8 inch) flour tortillas
1/2 cup additional cocktail sauce for dipping

In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese and cocktail sauce until well blended. Stir in crabmeat, Swiss cheese, and green onion. Spread about 1/2 cup of the mixture onto each tortilla, and roll up tightly. Wrap each tortilla in plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.

Slice rolls into 1/2 inch circles, and arrange on a serving tray with a bowl of cocktail sauce for dipping.

cocktail meatballs

I buy the meatball from costco to save time and then make the sauce.

12 fluid ounces tomato-based chili sauce
1 1/4 cups grape jelly

Add chili sauce and jelly to skillet; heat, stirring, until jelly is melted. Return meatballs to skillet, and stir until coated. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.

jovigirl Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 6:27pm
post #27 of 41

Here it is
Easy Spinach Dip

10 bacon slices
1 (10oz) pk of frozen spinach, thawed & drained
1/2 cup of salsa
1 pk (8oz) of cream cheese
1/3 cup of green onions
1 cup of diced tomatoes
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 tsp of cumin
1/4 tsp of black pepper
1/4 tsp of garlic powder
Cook bacon in large skillet until evenly brown. Drain, crumble & set aside.
In med saucepan over med heat cook & stir spinach, salsa, cream cheese & green onions until cream cheese has melted. Mix in the bacon & tomatoes. Remove from heat. Mix in the mozzarella & spices. Voila you have a to die for spinach dip!!!
I personally am not a favor of pumpernickel so I serve it with sliced french baguette or veggies or crackers.
Enjoy!

jovigirl Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 6:30pm
post #28 of 41

Sorry, I forgot it wasn't suppose to have dairy icon_redface.gif

kathik Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 9:45pm
post #29 of 41

No worries Jovigirl, I think others are enjoying getting new recipe ideas here and they may not have the same restrictions that I do. icon_smile.gif

You guys are giving me a lot of neat ideas to try. I hope you're all having as much fun reading these as I am.

Your story had me rolling all4cake! That ain't no casserole!!!! icon_lol.gif

Kathi

starrchaser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starrchaser Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 10:05pm
post #30 of 41

My all time favorite is Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts
fry bacon untill 1/2 cooked, drain of greas
Wrap water chestnuts with bacon, secure with sooth pick
place in sauce and refridgerate in sealed container for 1 hour
SAUCE:
2 cups of brown sugar
1/4 cup of soy sause
1/2-2/3 cup of mayo
-combine ing and stir in sauce pan. Heat to melting consistancy but do not boil, pour over wrapped chestnust.

After refridgerating for an hour remove from sauce and place on rack on cooking sheet and bake at 325 for 10 min or untill bacon is fully cooked.
Reheat sauce in microwave and place chestnuts back in sauce.

At our family potluck every year this is the biggest hit and they are the first to go. they are realy to die for. you have to try them to understand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%