Frosting

Decorating By Janette Updated 1 Dec 2006 , 1:04am by Janette

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 19

I use Wilton Buttercream receipe, my daughter is always telling me I have to get a new receipe that she had a cake at so ans so's house and the frosting is so good. She won't even eat my cakes because she doesn't like the frosting. Any suggestions?

18 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 19

You need to question your daughter, about what she likes about the other icing and what she doesn't like about yours. Once you find out what she likes then you can start to experiement with other recipes.

sweetcakes2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes2005 Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 19

I agree with peg818. Just ask her what she does/doesn't like about your/other people's icings. Wilton's icing, although I use a doctored Wilton recipe myself, is pretty heavy on shortening and a lot of people don't like the greasy feeling it leaves in your mouth. You might try a fluffier, non-crusting icing for your daughter.

Janette Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 19

I like doing a lot of decorating. The Brite White Buttercream Icing sounds like it might be the right one.

Hi Ratio Shortening - is Crisco alright?

I don't know what Icing Base or Magic Line Creme Bouquet are?

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 11:42pm
post #6 of 19

Honestly, I have found that some customers LOVE the crisco and crisco/butter based frostings better than the others. I grew up making my own frosting and icings. I still make predominantly home-made, butter-based frostings, but a lot of customers want the old crisco/butter based buttercream the best.

Go figure! icon_rolleyes.gif

Janette Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 19

She says that my frosting is too sweet. She has seen me make it and I think all the crisco freaks her out. She's not a kid, she's 30, sometimes you wouldn't know it the way she carries on about things.

I have an excellent frosting that she loves but you can't use it for decorating so that won't help.

Do you think it would make a difference if I did part Shortening and Part Butter?

If anyone out there has adjusted the receipe to make it better, please share.

missgibsonsclass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missgibsonsclass Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 2:35am
post #8 of 19

OK, I am completely new at this- so it might be a silly question. My mom's buttercream recipe has a lot of crisco in it and is hard to decorate with (without breaking my hands, lol). If I try this marshmallow buttercream recipe- when do you add color? Thanks!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 3:09am
post #9 of 19

Hi-ratio shortening is not interchangeable with Crisco on a 1:1 basis.

Here's info on hi-ratio:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-52068-hiratio.html

Your daughter might enjoy Rich's Bettercreme which can be purchased at Gordon Food Service. It comes frozen, in a 1 qt. container that looks like a milk carton.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-51449-bettercreme.html

HTH

finnox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finnox Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 10:05pm
post #10 of 19

Ok my question is what do yall use to icing the cake and then for decorating the cake. I was wondering how to make royal icing and do yall use that to decorate everything with or what do yall use that for. I am confused on what to do for icing.

Janette Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 11:00am
post #11 of 19

I know in parts of the country different words are used (pop, soda)
(vydock, overpass) is that the case with frosting and icing or are they different?

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 11:26am
post #12 of 19

Royal icing is not used to frost the cake as it get really hard and does not taste that good. It is used for flowers, string work and so on.

I believe frosting is what you would call it when you put frosting all over the cake. Icing is what you use to decorate with. Frosting is more soft. Like you can buy canned frosting in the store but you can't use it for icing as it is not stiff enough. Many people just thin down the icing to frost their cakes.

I could be totally off on this but this is what I was told by a Wilton instructor.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 11:52am
post #13 of 19

I love this one!

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/cakefrost/cakefrost146.html

To fill cakes...I mix crushed golden oreos with some of it...

It smooths nicely but doesn't crust over.

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:27pm
post #14 of 19

I have begun using this recipe I found here,
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1978-143-Extra-Special-Buttercream-Icing.html

I use 1/2 high-ratio and have unsalted butter. It is not overly sweet and you can pipe anything with it! It is now my favorite because of the versatality (?Sp) Try it, the high-ratio shortening makes a big difference. I got mine from a local cake supply shop but I had to call around because only 1 store carries it!
Tracy

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:47pm
post #15 of 19

I don't care for the wilton class buttercream recipe, but if I use all butter I have problems with the consistency of the icing. I tried my grandmas and great grandmas recipe but theirs was calling for all lard (ugh!)

So I now use a variation of wiltons class buttercream recipe. Instead of all of the crisco I substitute half of it with butter. I have people ask me all the time what I do to my icing that makes it so good and not greasy. I get a lot of compliments on it all the time. I also use all vanilla for my flavorings and no butter since I am using butter in the recipe.

It will not be a true white, however I find that when I cream my butter and crisco together I just cream it for awhile and it will kinda turn a light light yellow. My icing will still be a bit of an off white, but I find the longer I keep it mixing in the KA the whiter it gets. You can also add white coloring to it or I believe others on CC add just a touch of violet color to turn the icing white again.

I would definitely see what she doesn't like about yours compared to others though. She may be eating a completely different icing like the Rich's bEttercreme icing mentioned above which is more like a cool whip icing.

HTH

Leily

Janette Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 4:12pm
post #16 of 19

Thanks to everyone.

Adding the violet made me remember my Grandmother adding drops of blueing to her white clothes to whiten them. This is before modern detergents. They still sell it, I even have some in my laundry room that I will add occasionally, I think I do it for old times sake.

Your right I like the 1/2 butter too. It's not real white but I figure that doesn't matter so much as long as it's not for a wedding cake.

finnox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finnox Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:19pm
post #17 of 19

ok well I will try that out. Is there any way to get it all white?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 11:41pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnox

Is there any way to get it all white?

Some people have been able to find all white butter. Unfortunately I have not found any in my area of the U.S.

If anyone knows of any, maybe you can tell us the brand to look for? It sounds like more of a regional thing.

Otherwise adding the violet to your icing is suppose to turn it white-a lot of people on here do it, however I have not tried it yet.

HTH

Leily

Janette Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 1:04am
post #19 of 19

I thought I was losing it. I remembered seeing white butter before. I think it was when I was visiting PA, I'm not sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%