Sifted Powdered Sugar

Decorating By MomoRox Updated 15 Apr 2006 , 2:29am by SquirrellyCakes

MomoRox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomoRox Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 50

Okay, I hope that not too many people laugh at me but what is the importance of sifting powdered sugar? I want to know the background and I've asked Jeeve and Jeeve didn't know. Also, who has any shortcuts of "sifting"? It is so time consuming for me? I use a hand sifter which is all I know of. Any help would be great. thumbs_up.gif

49 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 50

It keeps you from getting little clumps of sugar in your frosting.

eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 50

icon_biggrin.gif Honestly I have never sifted Powdered sugar ever..I rationally cannot think of a good reason why, except that probably just to get rid of lumps when you sometimes take it out of the bag and there are big lumps.
They are very fine already and melts very easily with any liguid added.

But it's an extra step that cannot hurt, but also won't have a significant effect (have not seen any yet) if done.
have a nice day..

Jennz818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennz818 Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 50

I've noticed that since I've started sifting my sugar that my icing comes out better. It's seems like it's softer and not so gritty.
I do mine by hand...first with a little sieve but then I went out and bought a flour sifter but it seems to jam up quite a bit.

Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 50

I have a huge silver bowl I purchased at Target for $10.00. Then I just sift away. Since the bowl is so big, it goes faster.

BritBB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BritBB Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 50

I know this is really lazy, but I pulse it just a few times in my food processor - always gets rid of any lumps.

mrsrunning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsrunning Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 50

I used to not shift, until I got soem very nasty lumps and messed up my basketweave. I used a plain strainer and spoon I feel this is faster then using the plain hand shifter that gets cloged

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 6:37pm
post #8 of 50

I think when i sift my sugar...my icing comes out smoother. I have a hand sifter that you turn a handle. It goes pretty fast. However...you can purchase electric sifters as well...I believe they start at around 20.00 and up.
traci icon_smile.gif

cakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 6:53pm
post #9 of 50

I always sift powdered sugar.........no lumps........

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 7:00pm
post #10 of 50

I also use a strainer and spoon. The hand sifters are just too much trouble, the wider the strainer the quicker it is to sift.

DesignsbyD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsbyD Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 7:09pm
post #11 of 50

Traci,

Thanks for the idea of an electric sifter, I have rheumatiod athritis and every sifter I have tried kills my hands. If I have to sift I do this a day ahead of decorating, my joints can't handle both in the same day thumbsdown.gif My kids are usually eager to help, but with school starting soon I am loosing my little helpers !

I am gonna do a search for an electric sifter....
Happy Baking
Denise

http://www.complementstothechef.com/sub_gadgets/sifter_funnels.html

I found a battery operated one here

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 7:28pm
post #12 of 50

I buy it already sifted..... Always use the Confectioners Sugar 10x...

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 7:40pm
post #13 of 50

I always sift. Sometimes 2 times. Just to make sure there are no lumps. I live in the deep south so it's very humid here. If I don't sift I have a big mess. My icing & MMF is so much better when I sift. I forgot to sift a few times & could really tell a big difference.

MomoRox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomoRox Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 7:55pm
post #14 of 50

Wow, this is GREAT, thanks everybody. How do you get yours already sifted.

I really love the big strainer and spoon idea.

man, this is awesome! I'm new to the forums!

MariaLovesCakes Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 8:26pm
post #15 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoRox

Wow, this is GREAT, thanks everybody. How do you get yours already sifted.

I really love the big strainer and spoon idea.

man, this is awesome! I'm new to the forums!

I buy it at the Grocery Store.... They always have it... I see sometimes 4x (sifted 4 times) but mainly is 10x (sifted 10 times)

That's the one I always buy... I could buy Dixie brand or store brand, it doesn't matter... store brand is better, because its cheaper... icon_lol.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 8:28pm
post #16 of 50

I always sift too ... if not, I have way too many lumps in my icing and I can't stand that!! So, it's sifted for me icon_smile.gif

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 8:57pm
post #17 of 50

I've found that my frosting turns out smoother when I sift. Sometimes I sift 2-3 times. Has anyone ever noticed that when you sift it, it seems to grow in volume? Funny!

Wandootie

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 9:04pm
post #18 of 50

I have never sifted my sugar. I can't find 10x here. Maybe I'm not using all of my resources to find it either. The search goes on.....!

I haven't had any problem with my icing coming out lumpy or with a grainy texture. I think it also might have something to do with the type or amount of liquid used. I don't know, I've never experience it. I whip my icing in my KA for 5 or more minutes and it's as fluffy as ever...no lumps! If I had lumps, I would question the quality of my KA!!!

Amy

ntertayneme Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 9:07pm
post #19 of 50

I've noticed that too Wandootie... it just looks like you have a whole lot more than when you started lol

I dunno cakemommy.. I'm sure in Washington State you deal with humidity too .. but I know that down here in Louisiana, if I don't sift mine, I have lumps and my KA works beautifully .. I think it's something to do w/the deep Southern humidity lol icon_biggrin.gif

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 9:10pm
post #20 of 50

Just wanted to say to ntertayneme, you do beautiful cakes. I'm really just getting started, so I hope I can decorate as well as you someday.

Take Care!

Wandootie

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 9:12pm
post #21 of 50

Well darnit!!! I'll just have to try the sifting thing then. I need to give my biceps a workout anyway. I have a big ol' bowl so I'll just sift away and see the difference. If it's worth it, I'll do it from now on. Thanks for the tips everyone!!!

Amy

ntertayneme Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 9:19pm
post #22 of 50

Oh gosh, thanks Wandootie... I'm my own worse critiic.. I look at my cakes and think how awful they look lol .. but thanks so much for the compliment.. it means a lot to me icon_smile.gif

MariaLovesCakes Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 9:51pm
post #23 of 50

Wow, I didn't know anyone did icing with sugar that was not sifted...

They stressed it so much when I took my cake decorating classes, that I was always afraid to use unsifted sugar...

And for some reason, Wilton recommends 10x, any less they say won't be good for your icing....

I wonder why 10 times....? Anyone know?

ntertayneme Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 9:58pm
post #24 of 50

Good questions.. lemme see!!

Confectioners Sugar - (Also known as powdered or icing sugar) It is granulated sugar that has been ground to a powder with cornstarch added to prevent lumping and crystallization. It comes in 4X, 6X and 10X but 10X is the one generally found in stores. 10X means that the granulated sugar has been processed ten times. Confectioners sugar is used in meringues, icings, confections, and some sweet pastry.
http://www.joyofbaking.com/other/glossaryCG.html

I found this on the above link

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 30 Jul 2005 , 3:07am
post #25 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntertayneme

Good questions.. lemme see!!

Confectioners Sugar - (Also known as powdered or icing sugar) It is granulated sugar that has been ground to a powder with cornstarch added to prevent lumping and crystallization. It comes in 4X, 6X and 10X but 10X is the one generally found in stores. 10X means that the granulated sugar has been processed ten times. Confectioners sugar is used in meringues, icings, confections, and some sweet pastry.
http://www.joyofbaking.com/other/glossaryCG.html

I found this on the above link

Well actually that information is not correct but it is a common misconception. There are misconceptions printed in books also but if you look on Icing (powdered) Sugar sites you will find out that the manufacturers state that 10X refers to the fineness of the mesh or screen or sieve that the sugar was processed through. This in turn, effects the size of the sugar particles. So 10X is a super fine screen, 5X twice the size etc. The finer the particles, the easier it is to incorporate.
The reason for sifting is to aerate the sugar. Sugar has a tendency to absorb moisture and that is why, in Canada and the U.S. cornstarch is added to all icing sugars in an effort to keep the sugar dry. However, with high humidity or when the sugar has sat for a long time undisturbed, it starts to clump. The more air you sift into your sugar, the more space it takes up. So 1 cup of icing sugar that has been sifted is a lot less icing sugar by weight than one cup of icing sugar that has not been sifted.
I sift all icing sugar no matter how fine it is or if there are lumps or not mainly to get a finer textured sugar. With the use of beet sugar instead of cane sugar, there is more risk of clumping. For some reason, the way beet sugar is processed it has more of a tendency to absorb moisture and also, sometimes tends to be a grittier particle. So it generally works a lot better if it is sifted.
In Canada up until about a year ago, all of the icing sugar was cane sugar. Now, sometimes it can be beet sugar. I have found that since they stopped labelling it cane sugar, I have sometimes ended up with much clumpier sugar. So now I sift it all, no matter how fresh it is. Beet and cane sugar taste exactly the same so taste is not an issue.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 4:52am
post #26 of 50

sue_dye said:

Quote:
Quote:

I also use a strainer and spoon. The hand sifters are just too much trouble, the wider the strainer the quicker it is to sift.

I do this too..... I also do my cake mixes the same way before I put them in the KA mixing bowl.

elena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elena Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 12:35pm
post #27 of 50

from what i understand sifting adds smoothness to your frosting and using high ratio shortening. i also have a stand up mixer so when i dont sift i will mix a bit longer. also even if you sift or not always make sure your adding your sugar 1 cup at a time that also makes it easier to mix.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 3:13pm
post #28 of 50

I didn't use to sift, but then got a very clumpy bag of sugar. So I tried the strainer/spoon method to sift, it killed my arm. So I went out and bout the hand crank sifter and it is so much easier for me to use. I have seen a big difference with my icing, it comes out a lot smoother and I don't have to mix it as long as it incorperates faster.

Now I should also state I use C&H most of the time. I have used Domino's and that is my favorite but it is hard to find here for some reason, my local stores stoped carrying it.

Quote:
Quote:

However, with high humidity or when the sugar has sat for a long time undisturbed, it starts to clump.

SquirrellyCakes hit it on the head here. I have found out that it depends on where I buy my sugar on whether I have to sift it more. Our local grocery store doesn't sell it as fast as W-M so it sits on the shelf longer and I have to sift it more. Some times when I get it at W-M it looks like it was just sifted and I only sift it once. So depending on how fresh you can get it off the shelf also makes a big difference.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 3:34pm
post #29 of 50

Well, I am in Canada and buy it from the Bulk Barn, have been doing so for years. It was always fresh because there is a huge turnover in it. However since Canada starting having the beet sugar available for human consumption, it is now used in icing sugar and the sugar is no longer labelled pure cane sugar. So you just don't know what you are getting anymore. Anyway, now all of the sugar I buy from the Bulk Barn is lumpy. It is really annoying because there are always lumps in it now. Before I didn't have to worry, I knew I was getting pure cane sugar. The processing of beet sugar apparently and the product itself possilbly makes it more susceptible to moisture.
But I agree, when buying icing sugar it isn't worth it to buy huge quantities at low prices because chances are it has been sitting for a long time or will be sitting for a long time before you use it all and it will get lumpy with time.
Even though I have always sifted the icing sugar I never had these lumps to deal with before. Grrhh! Sometimes change is not such a good thing!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 12:34pm
post #30 of 50

I used to sift and when I did, I used a large sifter it looks like a strainer for pasta but the grid is small and placed it on top of a large bowl and just sorta hold both and shake. It works really well, but lately the batch of frostings I've made are so small that I just buy the box of 10x and most of the time it looks pretty good so I haven't sifted it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%