Has Anyone Ever Attempted To Make?

Decorating By jackie64 Updated 28 Nov 2006 , 3:59pm by Ladyofcake

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 28

Sugar free Royal Icing and Sugar Free Fondant .

27 replies
daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 28

no, i'm not even sure how to begin to do that, good luck if you try & if it works, let us know---my mom would be thrilled

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 28

icon_eek.gif

jackie64 Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 28

I will let you know how it turns out, probably sometime in the next 2 weeks before I get a chance to get around to it icon_smile.gif

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 28

Using Splenda? icon_eek.gif

lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 28

how are you planning to make these? i'd love to know! icon_smile.gif

TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 28

What sugar do you plan on using for this? I am just curious?

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 12:38am
post #8 of 28

Can you tell me if it works when you try it? I have alot of diabetic friends, and that would be so nice!

jackie64 Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 1:52am
post #9 of 28

Yes I am going to use splenda I found a recipe here on CC for CS replacement I am going to try that recipe with the fondant and the royal icing . Im hoping this will work if it does its gonna make my job so much easier I want the sugar free part of the cakes to look as nice as the regular cakes I only have to make 2 6 inch 2 layers sugar free I would love to make sugar free fondant calla lillies also .

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 2:29am
post #10 of 28

Splenda is a great product, but it will taste lots more sweet than sugar. Although in the box it is supposed to replace sugar 1 to 1, it will compress and dissove when liquids are added.

Most diabetics can manage small amounts of sugar, especially as part of a balance meal. Personally, as a diabetic, I would rather have a small piece of the genuine article, and just remove some of the outer icing.

jackie64 Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 3:00am
post #11 of 28

Well the problem is that this girl has a medical condition im not sure but she cant have any real sugar, she's not a diabetic its some other issue all I know is it has to be 100% sugar free.

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 11:50pm
post #12 of 28

Good luck, let us know how it goes! thumbs_up.gif

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 5:26am
post #13 of 28

I am not to sure but i think that Splenda has sugar or made from sugar or something of the sort. Before you go through all of the trouble I would check on that. I have made icing and it has turned out OK. But like mentioned all ready my daughter prefers to have the real stuff and not have the after taste. You might want to go to a natural store and see what they have for sugar subs, they are a lot of help.

Vic

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 3:55pm
post #14 of 28

Could you frost the cake is sugar free Cool Whip??? Maybe stabilized???? Just a thought - not sure what the cake is for.

~Chelle

scott123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scott123 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 4:49pm
post #15 of 28

Both royal icing and fondant depend on the texture of sugar, something that splenda doesn't provide. Splenda only provides sweetness.

For the texture of sugar, you'll have to use other alternatives. Maltitol will make an excellent fondant, as will isomalt. You'll need to talk to the person you're making the cake for, though, to make sure they're okay with them. If they are, it's an easy sub.

Other than sugar alcohols, the options get a little sketchy. There's starch (pudding mix). Cream cheese has a slightly granular/moldable quality, especially if you add a dry ingredient to absorb some of the moisture. All in all, these are not ideal alternatives, though. Maltitol or isomalt make absolutely perfect fondant. Once you cross those off the list, you're talking serious compromises in taste/texture.

jackie64 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 6:22pm
post #16 of 28

Do you know where I can purchase Isomalt or Maltitol? And would I just use a regular fondant recipe and use either one as the replacement for CS?

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 6:38pm
post #17 of 28

are we just looking for a totally sugar free icing or does it have to be fondant??

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 6:43pm
post #18 of 28

I just got done taking a sugar art class and the teacher couldn't stress enough how she would NOT recommend eating isomalt in any significant amounts. I would imagine covering a cake in isomalt fondant would be considered significant. Maybe checking the information about isomalt and making sure the client is OK would be a good idea.

jackie64 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 6:52pm
post #19 of 28

I want to do both . Just as accents for both ,none of this will be eaten. I still am going to make the CS replacement and then use that in place of regular CS and then use that with the RI and fondant recipes that I have and if it doesnt work well oh well I havent lost enough to make or break me, hey if I can get just enough consistency for everything to hold together and dry thats all Im looking for of course it has to look nice enough to put on a wedding cake . No one has responded to let me know if they have attemtpted to do it this way so I Guess I will have to make it and find out. icon_smile.gif

chelleb1974 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 6:58pm
post #20 of 28

If none of this is going to be eaten - why does it need to be sugar free???

Sorry if this has been answered already.

~Chelle

jackie64 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 8:18pm
post #21 of 28

Because 2 of the 6 inch cakes are going to be sugar free I want them to have the same decorations as the regular cakes . This girl has an autoimmune disease . If she eats sugar it will attack her liver, I cannot have anything with sugar on anything she eats not even resting on it . I want her part of the cakes to be as beautiful as the rest of the cakes. I dont want her to feel because hers has to be sugar free that it cannot look the same as the rest of the cakes that hers has to be different . As a mother of a child with an autoimmune disease ,well its already bad enough having to change your whole way a life around it so I would like everything to be the same if I can . I dont even know if I can accomplish this . icon_smile.gif

chelleb1974 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 8:20pm
post #22 of 28

Thanks Jackie, I wasn't sure of the reason, but now I understand! Wish I had some suggestions - good luck and remember to show us the finished product!!!

~Chelle

jackie64 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 8:25pm
post #23 of 28

I will post pictures, If it turns out like I hope it will, keep your fingers crossed icon_lol.gif It just may take me a few days to get to it . Thanks icon_smile.gif

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 10:57pm
post #24 of 28

Isomalt is a larger grain but reacts the same as sugar when heated so it should work in the recipes. I don't know how to help you find it other than to suggest any cake decorating supply companies.

Ladyofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 11:41pm
post #26 of 28

Have you thought about using sculpey to make the decorations?? They can be made beautifully, placed on waxed paper on the cake. She could even keep them as a reminder it. That could be your fondant substitute.

There's a recipe for sugar free cream cheese frosting at http://www.phentermine.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/89.html that might work. It's the only one I have found so far that looks tasty. You could also pipe straight cream cheese for decorations, I would think, or use molds.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

jackie64 Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 1:03am
post #27 of 28

Thank you ladyofcake for the info on where to purchase, I went to one online site and OMG I couldnt believe how expensive it was .

Ladyofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyofcake Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 3:59pm
post #28 of 28

yes that is the problem with sugar free or vegan cakes - you must up your prices to cover the additional costs, and the fancier stuff like mock fondant can be quite expensive as well as difficult to work with.
Here is another thought for you to consider - have you ever worked with marzipan? It will still cost due to the almonds also, but you may be able to get away with a cooked marzipan replacing the sugar with stevia to sweeten it. may be a little cheaper or not, but the plus is it may be better to work with and improved taste - not to mention a bit healthier.
just a thought...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%