10" Layer Cake ?

Decorating By countrykittie Updated 21 Sep 2007 , 1:54pm by MandyE

countrykittie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrykittie Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 18

How many people will a 10" and an 6" cake feed if everyone gets a 'generous' piece? (I hate those 'little' slices that you sometimes get in restaurants... icon_redface.gif ) I have a wedding shower cake to make for probably 25-30 people if everyone comes. If not as many people come, I may just make the 10". I am also planning on making a bridal doll cake for the bride to take home if she wants but if needed, we could cut into that as well. I just want to make sure that everyone gets a piece. Also, if you were going to charge for a 10", a 6" and a bridal doll, how much would you charge? Vanilla cake with BC and RI...the only fondant I used was for the "bridal doll manniquin" and the top of the brides dress.

TIA

17 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 18

I use this chart to determine servings: http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/cakedata.cfm

Based on this chart, a 10" served 38 and a 6" served 12 .... total = 50 servings. This is based on the wedding cake size of 1x2x4.

Are you selling or donating this cake? If you are selling it, then my stance is "The cake serves 25-35. You are welcome to cut it any size you want, but if you cut it bigger then you need to order AND PAY FOR more cake."

If you are donating it, then my stance is "I'm donating this cake. If you want to eat like Jethro Bodine, then you have to pay for the cake. If you want it free, then you will eat a politely proper size piece of cake."

It's not personal .... it's business.

countrykittie Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 18

Well, I'm not sure who Jethro Bodine is, but, what I mean by a generous piece is a wedge that you can see....not one that is only about 1/2" thick. Sometimes restaurants cut their cakes/pies in such small pieces and then charge you $4-5 dollars for the piece. I don't think 38 people will be coming so I guess I will be fine with the 10" and the bridal doll. I am not donating the cake. My sister requested and will pay for the cake. But I'm not sure how much per slice. Could someone enlighten me as to what they charge per slice? Thanks.

indydebi Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 18

Gosh, I am definitely in that "old lady" category! icon_lol.gif

Jethro Bodine was Jed Clampett's nephew on the TV show from the 60's called "The Beverly Hillbillies". His appetite was a constantly running joke on the show. A Jethro-bowl of cereal would be your biggest mixing bowl filled with a whole box of cereal covered with a half gallon of milk. And he'd still be hungry!

maggie_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggie_14 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 18

I did a wedding cake with those same sizes and I had 22 people at my house and served a generous piece to all and there was plenty left overs. Price, I just did it as a present for my niece so I cannot help you there. Good luck!

PattyLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyLen Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 18

LOL, Jethro Bodine! I used to think he was a "hunk". Thanks for the laugh Debi.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:08am
post #7 of 18

indydebi I laughed when you referred to Jethro Bodine, I well remember the show, then I laughed even harder when countrykittie said she didn't know who he was, then I noticed her birthday, that must be July 10th, 1985! Then I realized I was in the "old Lady catagory also icon_lol.gif By the way indydebi I think we were born in the same year. 1959, I think I remember seeing it in one of your posts! thumbs_up.gif
Jibbies

indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:19am
post #8 of 18

Yep, 1959! We barely make it in the Baby Boomer generation! But we do, which I reckon makes us the power to reckon with!

When we were babies, the TV was loaded with Pampers and toy commercials; when we were teenagers, the record industry had their biggest boom in sales; when we got in our 20's, car sale ads were targeted to us, (except for that darn oil shortage in the 70's that killed any car sales at all!). Now that we're in our 50's and 60's the TV ads are full of long term health care and Depends commercials! When my daughter complains because of all of the "oldies" radio stations, I have to remind her that it's because there are more Me's out there than there are of Her's.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread! But you know how us old folks get .... once we get started on them 'olden days.....!

jibbies Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:15am
post #9 of 18

ndydebi, when is your birthday? If you don't want the world to know pm me. mine is November 6, so I will be 48 in a few weeks!
Jibbies

countrykittie Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 11:13am
post #10 of 18

Gee, not sure I like being the brunt of a joke, icon_smile.gif and, I was born in 1967 so I do know the show The Beverley Hillbillies, and yes, I do know who Jethro is....if you had said just that, then I would have know who he was. But, anyway. Thanks for the advice.

countrykittie Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 11:52am
post #11 of 18

BTW, no, that's not what I meant by a 'generous' piece...eating half the cake or the whole cake....

What I meant was, that each person could have a 1 1/2" piece...something you can see.

Anyway, never mind...I will try to figure out the pricing for a 10" cake myself...

icon_sad.gif

jibbies Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:11pm
post #12 of 18

countrykittie
no offense intended, we are really laughing at ourselves icon_lol.gif
Jibbies

indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:17pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

ndydebi, when is your birthday? If you don't want the world to know pm me. mine is November 6, so I will be 48 in a few weeks!
Jibbies

My daughter's BD is Nov 5th!

Mine is Jan 19th..... other famous 19th'er's are Robert E Lee, The great writer, Edgar Allan Poe, the great artist Cezanne, Dolly Parton and my favorite birthday sister is Paula Deen!!

abeverley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abeverley Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:20pm
post #14 of 18

For a 10" cake I charge $45 that is $1.50 a serving at 30 servings

Marcelita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marcelita Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:38pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeverley

For a 10" cake I charge $45 that is $1.50 a serving at 30 servings

wow! is that with or without decorations? I charge 2.50 per serving with minimum decorations. Anything less is not worth it for me!

HTH

abeverley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abeverley Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:39pm
post #16 of 18

That is just with boarder and writing (happy bithday) and other decorations are in addition.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:54pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Gosh, I am definitely in that "old lady" category! icon_lol.gif

Jethro Bodine was Jed Clampett's nephew on the TV show from the 60's called "The Beverly Hillbillies". His appetite was a constantly running joke on the show. A Jethro-bowl of cereal would be your biggest mixing bowl filled with a whole box of cereal covered with a half gallon of milk. And he'd still be hungry!

HAHAHAHA!!!
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
I must be an old lady too or was just raised to know who Jethro was. Nothing's better than a Jethro Sandwich. thumbs_up.gif

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:54pm
post #18 of 18

Use Earlene's serving chart for generous servings. If you search the forums you'll find it. I'm not sure about a 6", but according to her chart a 10" serves 30, if I"m remembering correctly. Prices? Mine start at $2 a serving and go up depending on decorations, fondant, level of difficulty, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%