Making A Hat Box Cake

Decorating By TheCakeShak Updated 4 Aug 2005 , 9:58pm by loree001

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 11

icon_smile.gif Hello everyone...
I have a question, I was asked to make a hat box cake a round hat box for a friend of mine for her sister.
My question is how would I go about making the "lid" for the hat box. I have some ideas rolling in my head, I was thinking about covering a 10" round cake board with yellow fondant and then make a yellow fondant strip to go around and attach with royal icing.
Does anyone else have any other ideas for this?
Thanks................ icon_wink.gif

10 replies
eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 11

I think your idea sounds good. maybe you can add a "rope" sticking out from both sides from the top (lid)icon_biggrin.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 11

http://www.wildflowersbylori.com/Special%20Occasion%20Cakes.htm

there are some gorgeous hat box cakes here ... there aren't any instructions, but maybe you could look at the pictures and work out how she did them. Hope this helps!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 11

Looks like you could even use a layer of cake on a cakeboard for the lid.

Debbie

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 11

I had asked a question regarding "Limoges" style cakes with an open lid like on the hat boxes, but I got no reply.....how do you keep it standing "open". Do you use dowels?

Thanks!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 11

Sorry adven68 - I missed that one. Yes use dowels to hold it up or you can use pillars and fill in around with the "paper" or flowers.

Debbie

sheilaattaway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilaattaway Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 11

When I make them I dont use a separate peice for the top. For example: If your doing a round cake do a few layers and slant the top, then carve a opening, like pac mans mouth in the side of the cake were you want the opened part to be. When you put flowers or whatever you use, in the "opened mouth" It looks like two separate pieces.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 6:41pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks....now I got it!

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 4:06am
post #9 of 11

Thanks for the ideas, I saw that website with the hat boxes. It's sorta not what I'm looking for, I want this hat box to look like the lid is "on" the box, you know, like when you just bought a new hat and are taking it home.....

I also like that idea about just adding another small layer and then cover in fondant and put a really big bow ontop......hmmmmmmm.......

Any one else for more ideas.........please???????

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 4:26am
post #10 of 11

Ok what about this, what if you take your round cakes (two or three) put them on top of each other, then carve out a line all of the way around the top one so that you have an indention. Then you could ice them different colors if you wanted and maybe use some fondant to make an edge for the "top" of the box. Maybe like the one from the website that was already posted. They made it look like there were pearls along the edge of the lid. I don't know if this makes sense or not but I hope it helps some.

Charlotte

loree001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loree001 Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 9:58pm
post #11 of 11

I had to do this a while back, I don't have a picture, but this is the method I came up with and it worked for me. (It also works to get a 'ribbon' around the base of the cake as part of the bottom border, without using real ribbon). (I'm also guessing this works for a buttercream cake, but maybe not a fondant cake, I haven't tried that yet).

I need an extra pair of hands, but I ice my cakes and let the icing crust, I then get a trusted friend to help, I wrap a piece of very flexible cheap 1-2" ribbon around the cake, at exactly the level where the bottom band of the hat box lid would sit. We tape the ribbon to itself to hold it in place. I then used very thin buttercream to ice around the cake (above the ribbon) and on top of the cake in the color I want the lid to be, remove the ribbon that is lightly wrapped around the cake and this gives me a lid that looks dimensional (ie, it sticks out a little further than the rest of the 'box'), and I kept it straight and even with the ribbon. It worked for me, I wish I had a picture, but I don't. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%