A Time To Share Our Other Talents

Decorating By Lazy_Susan Updated 22 Nov 2006 , 1:42am by OhMyGoodies

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 84

Hi everyone...
I've decided to take a break from Cake Decorating for a while (maybe a month or so). But in the meantime I have to be doing something so I am going to work on some of my other hobbies. I thought this would be a great opportunity to see what other hobbies y'all have as well. Plus maybe we can learn a little more about each other along the way icon_smile.gif

Ok, I'll start... Recently, a co-worker was looking in a magazine and found a Blue Jean Jacket with "Cats" on it. She was very interested in the jacket but it was very expensive. I took a look at it and told her I could paint a jacket for her to resemble that one.

So here is another one of my hobbies. I love to paint on fabrics icon_smile.gif Below is a pic of the jacket I painted for her (front and back). I also painted a cat on one leg of a pair of jeans that she bought to match the jacket.

Please share pics of your other hobbies icon_biggrin.gif

Lazy_Susan

P.S. I was going to post this in "The Lounge" but there was no option for uploading pictures. I hope it's ok to post here.
LL
LL

83 replies
IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 84

OMG!! That is great!!! I'm betting your friend loved it!!

I don't have any real "talents" but I can tie a cherry stem into a knot with my tongue.

Does that count? icon_lol.gif

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 84

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

How much does something like that run?

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 84

That's really cool. All three of my daughters go shopping with my husband. They show him what they want painted on what; what to leave plain. Voila! painted clothes at half the price.
The only thing else that I do is cook. I'm on our hospitality cooking team @ church. I guess I just love to be in the kitchen.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 84

The jackets are really cool. Good market for those also!

quote="IHATEFONDANT"]OMG!! That is great!!! I'm betting your friend loved it!!

I don't have any real "talents" but I can tie a cherry stem into a knot with my tongue.

Does that count? icon_lol.gif[/quote] my honey says thats a great talent!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Lazy_Susan Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEFONDANT

OMG!! That is great!!! I'm betting your friend loved it!!

Does that count? icon_lol.gif

Now THAT is definitely a talent!!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by peajay66

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

How much does something like that run?

Ummmm, I'm not quite sure. She bought the jacket and I painted it for her. I'm gonna have to figure out a cost for it though because her sister wants me to do one for her after the first of the year icon_eek.gif

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 84

Love your jackets!!! That is one thing I haven't tried...

I love knitting, smocking and rubberstamping/cardmaking..I am terrible at jewelry making though...
I looked around for pics of my smocking but I think they are in some unknown directory in my computer.. icon_lol.gif .sort of like the way my desk looks..
Last winter I designed and knit a pair of fairisle socks which I will attempt to attach..I have had a few messages because people think my avatar is a cake!!!.
I should try and make a sock cake...
LL

LaceyLou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaceyLou Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 10:20pm
post #8 of 84

well lets see...i sew ( i recently made a dress, curtains and pillowcases to match my room, and blankets ) i dance like CRAZY and i am just a very crafty person. i recently organized my stuff and found that i have about 8 rubbermaid boxes full of my craft stuff! i love beading, also.

Lazy_Susan Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 10:22pm
post #9 of 84

JaneK, those are great!!! I would have never guessed that you made those. They look store bought. They're fantastic! Great talent there. icon_smile.gif

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 10:27pm
post #10 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneK

Love your jackets!!! That is one thing I haven't tried...

I love knitting, smocking and rubberstamping/cardmaking..I am terrible at jewelry making though...
I looked around for pics of my smocking but I think they are in some unknown directory in my computer.. icon_lol.gif .sort of like the way my desk looks..
Last winter I designed and knit a pair of fairisle socks which I will attempt to attach..I have had a few messages because people think my avatar is a cake!!!.
I should try and make a sock cake...

Hi JaneK... Mistery solved!! I always thought they were a cake as well! Love your socks, they look so complicated to make, wish I knew how to knit...

Now, answering to this thread, I guess my other hobby is photography!! I love black and white old school photography!!

Molliebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molliebird Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 10:29pm
post #11 of 84

Great jacket and socks! I love to scrapbook which I haven't had much time to do lately. My craft room is overrun with cake decorating supplies. I have also crocheted poncho/purse/hat sets for little ones, made sweaters, afghans among other things. I recently made a quilt wall hanging for my parents' 50th anniversary with pictures of them throughout the years. I also knit when I have time. If it's crafty, I've done it. Most of what I have done is self-taught.

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 10:35pm
post #12 of 84

I can quilt, crochet, knit, bead, scrapbook, and what ever else comes along. I can not paint though. Hopefully there will be a picture of a quilt I donated to the local volunteer fire department.
LL

Lazy_Susan Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 10:37pm
post #13 of 84

birdgirl,
That quilt is beautiful!! I would love to learn how to quilt.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 10:39pm
post #14 of 84

My hobbies bounce around with my mood and current life issues! icon_rolleyes.gif
In between cakes for friends and family, I'm trying to wrap up my Christmas cards that I rubber stamp. My Stampin' Up consultant hasn't heard from me for awhile 'cause now I'm hooked on cakes! icon_lol.gif Attached is this years card, a pop-up is inside of baby Jesus and a sentiment.
LL

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 10:44pm
post #15 of 84

Besides "eating ganache" this is my other talent "pumpkin carving" and "windowkins". There is more in the link in my sig.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 10:51pm
post #16 of 84

WOW! The talents you all have is amazing! That pumpkin is incredible, the jacket, socks and quilt awesome!! I still have a quilt that has been in a quilting rack for 4 years - I just can't seem to give up my current hobbies to pick up an old one!! Can't wait to see the rest of the talent lurking around CC!!

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 10:53pm
post #17 of 84

Wow, Birdgirl...that is a great quilt....and to DONATE IT!!! Even more impressive! I just finished a quilt for my mother in July. She turned 60. So there were 60 blocks (made up of 6 strips) each block had a flower on it. The fabric used for the petals were done with 60 different fabrics, so no two blocks are alike. I had other stuff too about the border and the backing.

I'll see if it will post.

I also am just crafty, but I won't allow myself to start scrapbooking...I would need to buy everything and there is just no more room here with three kids and cake decorating stuff! I am also a dancer, took my turn at doing some cross stitch and I love to sew...I just did the costumes for all my kids a few weeks ago.
LL

tysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tysmom Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 11:02pm
post #18 of 84

You all are SO talented!!!!! My cake decorating isnt the greatest although I LOVE it!!!! My first hobby and one I still do is photography. I do a lot of senior portraits. My five year old son is my main subject.
This is a great thread!!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 11:10pm
post #19 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheftaz

Besides "eating ganache" this is my other talent "pumpkin carving"

Okay, the pumpkin carving is just WAAAAYYY COOL! I cater some with my cousin and my job is making the food "pretty" SO, I just bought pumpkin and watermelon carving books, but, I don't know that I will EVER be that good Cheftaz!

I can identify with you Christeena! I HATE to sew, but, love to quilt and have finished exactly ONE project! LOLL Went through the stamping phase; still have the stuff (in rubbermaid containers!!LOL)
I can't paint, Lazy Susan, BUT believe it or not a friend and I are going to take a beginner's art class after the first of the year. Holidays and remodeling our houses leave us little time right now; and again....I'm thinkin' I won't EVER be able to paint as well as you!

Everyone's projects that I have seen are UNBELIEVABLE! Now I ask you....where else would you find so many people with so many other "talents"!

Best to everyone!

Beth from KY

Ladyofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyofcake Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 11:23pm
post #20 of 84

Now this is a really nice thread to read!
You all are really talented and it is nice to see that we are all such well-rounded people. Molliebird, I am with you.
"If it's crafty, I've done it. Most of what I have done is self-taught."
What isn't self-taught was taught to me growing up from necessity or fun.
Crotchet, sewing, cooking, singing, mehendi art, embroidery and other needlework, building/refinishing stuff for the house (shelves and such) used to dance until I got pregnant and fat, LOL...
Learned to sew real young and still make a lot of my own clothing, make
clothes for my babygirl and all house drapes, etc. are sewn by me. My MIL owned a boutique until she retired so she would always send me fabrics to sew dresses for my daughter. Will try to post a pic of one of the dresses I did for my daughter princess.gif Look forward to reading more of these!
LL
LL

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 11:41pm
post #21 of 84

This is a cool thread!!!

My other hobby lately is sewing. I make "brag bags," burp cloth/changing pad sets, aprons, gift baskets, bath aprons, etc. and sell them. All of my profits go to the Susan G. Komen foundation (same with any "profit" from cakes). All of this keeps me busy and out of trouble! I've got two shows coming up soon, so my dining room table is inundated with fabric!

Let's see if I can get some pics to upload!
LL
LL
LL

Ladyofcake Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 11:51pm
post #22 of 84

Love your bags CranberryClo, they are so cute - and to do for charity as well, that is just wonderful

Lazy_Susan Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 11:56pm
post #23 of 84

CranberryClo
I agree... the bags are great! And what a wonderful person you are donating your profit to charity. I truly like that idea. I think I'll follow your lead icon_smile.gif

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 12:00am
post #24 of 84

Man this make me want to break out my sewing machine, that i have had for 3 years, and have never used.....My husband say I am a jack of all trade, and a master of none........anyway...great works guys

CranberryClo Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 12:04am
post #25 of 84

Ladyofcake -

Is that a baby sari? I love it! My hubby is Indian and I had the best time dressing our daughter up in lenghas, kurta pajamas, etc.! Not as much fun with our baby boy, but I'm sure I'll find some stuff when we go to India next!

Christy

jenwright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenwright Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 12:07am
post #26 of 84

I guess my other 'talents' would be scrapbooking and writing. I've been scrapping for 4 years and have completed about 7 albums (One for each year of my son since birth-4, one for my mom, one for my MIL and one of my wedding). I've been writing for about 15 years now and still haven't completed one story! icon_confused.gif I get all kinds of ideas running through my head and just have to start a new one and make lots of notes before I lose it. With the job I have I get to do a lot of scrapping and writing at work...not so much on the cakes! If we only had an oven up here....

Ladyofcake Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 12:17am
post #27 of 84

"Ladyofcake -
Is that a baby sari? I love it! My hubby is Indian and I had the best time dressing our daughter up in lenghas, kurta pajamas, etc.! Not as much fun with our baby boy, but I'm sure I'll find some stuff when we go to India next!
Christy"

YES! My hubby is also Indian, and in south India the silk sari is still more popular. I wear quite often myself and here you only get baby lehenga, etc. as you said. That is so cool we have something in common! Do keep in touch, am sure we can share lots of stories, LOL...
What part is you hubby from? Mine is a Bangalore boy icon_lol.gif

CranberryClo Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 12:24am
post #28 of 84

My hubby is from Delhi. Are you Indian, too? I'm not, so it makes for interesting meals around here! I've learned to cook lots of Indian things very well, but refuse to do the sweets (gulab jaman, rasmalla (sp), etc.). Way too sweet for me!

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 12:30am
post #29 of 84

This is a great thread. I had been a little bummed about a couple of too long discussions and gripe sessions I got hooked on reading and couldn't get myself to stop. icon_redface.gif
I am a retired Elementary Art Teacher so have been involved in art for years. I love to draw and paint, but cakes are even more fun. Over the years I have done a little of a lot of things. Cross stitched for about a year and lost patience with it. Made one quilt that has cross stitched herbs in each square. Too tedious. Bought a quilt book the year before I retired, but havn't made anything from it. I like decorating my house wherever it is. Have done sponge painted borders. When I was again single and moved to the town where I taught, I took off the plywood kitchen cabinet doors, painted the frames and then cut off the tops of the doors to make a display shelf for some antique bowls and sponge painted the doors and replaced them. In that house, I painted a mural in the dining room and sponged several walls before I got tired. I sew and while I was single, got into cable tv design shows like Christopher Lowell and did several of his valances and half-bed canopy and completely remodeled the bathroom to be handicap accessible.(my son is in a wheelchair from Muscular Dystrophy)
This week I was back at the remodeling in this house. I hired out the plumbing and then wall papered the space behind the cabinet we took out and replaced it with a pedestal sink to have more maneuver room for the wheelchair.
When I was thinking about retiring, everyone asked how would I keep busy. Not a problem. It has been two years and I have had very few unoccupied hours. Just started with the cake decoration in August after a dissappointing wedding cake from a grocery store. I just didn't want the worry of trying to decorate my own before the wedding and when I got it I just knew I could learn to do it better than that. icon_sad.gif The first rose I made was at least 50% better than the ones I had paid for. O well...I'm old enough that it didn't really matter. I found a wonderful man to marry and that was worth more than a disappointing cake. icon_wink.gif
Oh and there is also motorcycle riding...but that is a different story. thumbs_up.gif

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 12:39am
post #30 of 84

Someone posted a similar thread a long time ago and it really is neat to see what other people make besides cakes. I don't do hardly anything else anymore but here is a collage of some of the crafts I've made in the past.
Candy bouquets, towel animals, terra cotta pot creatures, towel wedding cake, towel Christening gown, diaoer cake and cupcakes, bunny in pot, glass Christmas ornaments, receiving blanket dolls, felt Christmas stocking.

And a few more...dish towel angels,( and bunnies), fleece tie blankets and most recently the fruit and veggie bouquets.

KimAZ
LL
LL
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%