First 2 Weddings!!

Decorating By darrahmomof3 Updated 18 Sep 2007 , 9:06pm by darrahmomof3

darrahmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darrahmomof3 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 20

I was not able to post until now, my computer has been down. I had 2 weddings back to back, and had never done one!! The first one is a 3 tiered yellow and white. It was not to bad to do. The second was a 3 stacked fondant cake. The only problem was that the bride wanted raffia wrapped around the bottom to border it. That was a lot harder that I thought it would be!! The raffia was all different lengths and it would not stay stuck to the ribbon. I could not just tie it around the cakes (original plan) because none of it would go all the way around the larger cakes. Just wanted your feed back and any suggestions would be great. I have another one in about 2 weeks, I hope it goes well.
LL
LL

19 replies
Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 20

Good job! I like the raffia look! Nice cakes!

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 20

Wow- to never have done a wedding before you certainly should be commended on a fantastic job on both. You must be completely exhausted. They are just beautiful. Also, the raffia looks great - nice touch! thumbs_up.gif

ilka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilka Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 20

Great job...they look beautiful...

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 20

They both look great--no suggestions here!
Good luck on your next one. thumbs_up.gif

SugarMoonCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 20

good job
love the raffia
i just booked my first wedding as well! (not until November though)

did you glue the rafia to the ribbon? that would be my suggestion - use kraft paper instead of ribbon though, and glue it down (using Elmer's non-toxic or something similar) then once dry wrap it around the cake

i can't wait for next summer - maybe someone will want a cake just like yours! - beautiful!

darrahmomof3 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevercakelady

good job
love the raffia
i just booked my first wedding as well! (not until November though)

did you glue the rafia to the ribbon? that would be my suggestion - use kraft paper instead of ribbon though, and glue it down (using Elmer's non-toxic or something similar) then once dry wrap it around the cake

i can't wait for next summer - maybe someone will want a cake just like yours! - beautiful!

I tried to glue it,but it would not lie flat long enough to stick to the glue. I tried to hold it down,but I was only glueing myself to the ribbon!! I used double sided tape finally to get it to stay. It still did not hold great.
Thanks for every ones comments!

lancslass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lancslass Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 20

The sunflower cake is beautiful! as is the other but I love the sunflower cake. Good job!

dupart30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dupart30 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 5:41pm
post #9 of 20

ok I love love love sunflowers so I think that cake is gorgeous, very well done.
I am not sure what raffia is but the cake sure looks pretty.

darrahmomof3 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 9:09pm
post #10 of 20

Thanks for your compliments!!

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 9:27pm
post #11 of 20

those cakes are great...you did a great job!!!!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 9:45pm
post #12 of 20

Would never have thought of using raffia....... it just tied the whole thing together....... no pun intended ! icon_lol.gif

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 9:47pm
post #13 of 20

Both cakes are great, but that sunflower raffia one is awesome!!! I just love love love it!!! I suppose a suggestion, though it would be a time consuming one, would be to use fondant instead of real raffia, and cut strips of it and then glue them on. Congrats to you, I know you must be proud!

darrahmomof3 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 10:44pm
post #14 of 20

Good suggestion! The bride asked for raffia and I never thought of an alternitve to it. Thanks

snowqueen93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowqueen93 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 10:49pm
post #15 of 20

I think you did a great job on both. I especially like the sunflower one.

bori74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bori74 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 10:58pm
post #16 of 20

I think both cakes are beautiful!! And they are your first? Wow!!

darrahmomof3 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 11:07pm
post #17 of 20

Thanks!! You all are so much encouragement for me. I want to have a business some day. Maybe take some classes to better myself( there is just no where around here that gives them).I learn alot from everyone on this board. Thanks again

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 11:10pm
post #18 of 20

I like to Sunflower cake! I agree, it's hard to believe that these are your first.

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:52am
post #19 of 20

Beautiful job!! I love the raffia too. I think you did an excellent job on that.

One suggestion for glueing the raffia next time. I don't know if this will work or not, but lay the raffia on the ribbon and put something heavy on the center to hold it in place, but leave both ends exposed. If they aren't curled up on the end, you should be able to put the glue underneath the ends and do it that way, wait for it to dry, then remove the object that was holding it down. I have no clue if that would work or not, since I don't know if raffia is likely to bend upward when you place something on the center, but hey, it's worth a shot. icon_smile.gif If the raffia isn't long enough to go from one end of the ribbon to the next, just do pieces, placing objects in the center of each piece, then maybe overlap the ends a bit so you can't really tell where they end.

Ooh.. OR.. just thought of another way.. you could glue the pieces together in advance, or just plain ol' tie them together, to make them long enough, then wrap it around after it dries.. That would probably be more difficult and you'd have to use more, but hey, just an option. icon_biggrin.gif

I hope that made sense.. hehe

Yeah, I'm weird.. I get excited just trying to think of cake stuff to do.. haha

I think you did a fabulous job, though. I couldn't tell you had any trouble at all. So, whatever you did, must have worked. Did the brides just love love their cakes? I'm sure they did.

Both cakes are gorgeous!!

Holly

darrahmomof3 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 9:06pm
post #20 of 20

Thanks for the suggestion! The brides did love the cakes(thank the Lord!!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%