What Is Best Icing To Use On Cookies

Decorating By tasteebakes Updated 17 Sep 2007 , 7:25am by ValMommytoDanny

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 18

I was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for frosting/icing to use on cookies that they wouldn't mind sharing.

I have done them in buttercream and they look great as long as they are chilled and not wrapped.

I would like to put them in children's treat bags after my kid's parties wrapped. Which is another question, I have been wrapping them in Saran wrap, is there a better way to do this.

At my daughters Spiderman party I had to leave the cookies out on the table and I noticed that when some of the kids got them they immediately smashed the frosting into the saran wrap, not pretty and probably not eaten!

I guess I need an icing recipe that hardens at room temp? I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

17 replies
JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 18

If you read through the cookie forum, you will find all the answers! There are some really talented cookie people who are more than willing to share their thoughts/ideas/expertise!!

With that said, you have lots of options for cookie icing. Some people do use regular old bc and are able to package them...I've never had luck with that but want to try again.

You can use royal icing. That will harden and be able to be packaged and stacked without smearing. You can outline with the royal and thin it down to flood the cookie and well as do your accents with it.

Another option is rolled buttercream. With this you can even cut it out while the cookies are baking and place on the cookie while still warm...the icing will melt onto the cookie. There are other ways to apply as well. This method also works with fondant (MMF seems to be a favorite). And then you can accent with royal.

A big key to getting it right is ensuring the icing is completely dry before packaging.

HTH. Jodie

MissCathcart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCathcart Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 18

Toba Garrett anything is always the best. I have one of her books from the library entitled: Creative Cookies. She provides several recipes, and the photos of her cookies are fabulous.

cakescraps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakescraps Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 18

From what I have read here on CC, the recipe by Antonia74 is a favorite. Haven't had the chance to try it yet myself, though.

mrsmicbau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmicbau Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 18

I really like Alice's Cookie icing from the recipe section. Though I have not tried many others... HTH!

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 18

Antonia74's recipe is the only one that I use. My clients always rave about the taste.

NTxWriter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NTxWriter Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 18

I usually use marshmallow fondant for the cookies I'm going to decorate. I've made cookie bouquets out of them that I use for gifts.

MissCathcart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCathcart Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 1:53am
post #8 of 18

Will someone kindly post the Antonia74 cookie icing recipe link for those of us who are new?

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 5:39am
post #9 of 18

I just used Toba's fondant over sugar cutout cookies, and it worked great! I used the same cutter for both. My favorite RI is Colette's. I had that for details, but decided they looked fine without. They were apple cookies.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 5:56am
post #10 of 18

I Use Tobas fondant and RI just did 2 batches last night and they taste great.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 5:59am
post #11 of 18

Antonia74 Royal Icing

Serves/Yields: about 6 cups of thick icing?
Prep. Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time:
Category: Frostings, Cookies!
Difficulty: Easy  

This icing is mixed to a stiff consistency for outlining cookies, then can be thinned with warm water to fill in the cookie shape. I like to dry my cookies for at least 24 hours...and up to 48 hours before packaging them. This icing can be kept at room temperature in an air-sealed container for literally weeks, with a good re-mixing before you use it again. I haven't had great results with keeping it in the fridge...but un-tinted icing (i.e. white) seems to be okay from the freezer.

6 oz (3/4 cup) of warm water
5 Tablespoons meringue powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 kilogram (2.25 lbs.) powdered icing sugar

In mixer bowl, pour in the warm water and the meringue powder. Mix it with a whisk by hand until it is frothy and thickened...about 30 seconds.

Add the cream of tartar and mix for 30 seconds more.

Pour in all the icing sugar at once and place the bowl on the mixer.

Using the paddle attachment on the LOWEST speed, mix slowly for a full 10 minutes. Icing will get thick and creamy.

Cover the bowl with a dampened tea-towel to prevent crusting and drying.

Tint with food colourings or thin the icing with small amounts of warm water to reach the desired consistency.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 6:00am
post #12 of 18

Just copied the whole recipe in...easier. (Not sure how to copy over the link icon_redface.gif )

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 6:02am
post #13 of 18

Here are some videos of cookie making and royal icing making that i found on youtube...ive had these in my favorites for about a week and gonna be making them soon.

NTxWriter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NTxWriter Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 1:36pm
post #14 of 18

Thanks for the recipe and the videos. I love YouTube! Videos are easier to learn from for me.

It's amazing that today, every one can be a star.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 7:37pm
post #15 of 18

I wrote a step-by-step article with pics, it includes the recipe too:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article54-How-To-Bake--Decorate-Cookies.html

icon_smile.gif

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 4:44am
post #16 of 18

Thank you for the YouTube links! Love them! I tried to resist YouTube, momma, I really tried!

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 4:51am
post #17 of 18

np..hope they helped

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 7:25am
post #18 of 18

I always do Antonia's royal for the outline and the corn syrup/10x one for the middle - royal for accents. I can't make all royal cookies because the people around me complain they are too hard - but this combo sets up nicely and the cookies have a nice creamy mouth feel when you are eating it.

(oh, and I outline with Royal because I can NEVER get it to float right - always looks messy for me... icon_sad.gif )

But, this combo seems to be good - the kids like it and you can wrap them up and they are good to go. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%