Tired And Annoyed Big Time (My Current Vent - Really Long).

Decorating By Sugar_Plum_Fairy Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 10:40pm by funcakes

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 7:40am
post #1 of 8

This Saturday (the day after tomorrow, 9/15) my hubby and I decided to have a BBQ and invite our family (i.e. his family - his parents, sisters, niece, nephew, & cousins and their five kids) and a friend (whom my husband basically grew up with and is now our 2 year old's Godfather) and his family over the house to celebrate our little one's 2nd birthday which was on Sept. 6th. So while we were deciding which date to do this, DH's mom called and told him that his sister was coming from Upstate NY to visit on the 15th because that's her birthday and she wanted to have a cake and dinner. Needless to say, this was the reason we chose that day so that everyone could be together and we wouldn't have to do birthdays two weekends in a row.

So, now we're having all these people come to the house and the house, no matter how much I clean, is still a mess. DH will take half a day on Friday to help with this. Good. Next, of course I'm making DD's cake. So far I've molded Austin and Tasha out of candy clay and due to other interferences still have yet to do the other three Backyardigans. Worse case scenario - I'll just mold the heads of the last three and have them swimming! Not too bad a plan if it comes down to that. I told DH and his mom and other sister that I would make the birthday cake for married sister coming downstate. Fine. I also told this sister and DH I'd make an anniversary cake for their parents being that they'll be married 48 years on Sun. the 16th. I also had a cake for a client due on Fri, but she called Tuesday to cancel. Okay, that helps, except I could've used that $50!

Anyway, last night while at DH's sister's house, m-i-l mentions that her hubby, f-i-l, is already cooking up a storm to bring food to our party. I was like, "It's a BBQ". And as is always her answer, because this has happened before, "Well you know he likes to cook and he feels funny if he doesn't bring something. Besides you two and [insert unmarried sister-in-law's name here] can split the food and have it for the next week or two". icon_confused.giftapedshut.gif

I'm so annoyed that he always does this whenever we invite them over for ANYTHING. After my mother's funeral last year, he insisted on buying all the food for us to eat between the wake sessions because it wasn't right that we go out to eat because it's not a party. I'm grateful he did that, but wasn't it suppose to be my call since it was MY mother and between sessions we went to MY (and DH's) house?! icon_confused.gif

Well, fine. Less food for us to buy and grill. And the best part is he and my m-i-l became anorexic about three years ago - if they eat a hotdog it's a lot!! - so there's always WAY too much food and besides he always has an excuse to leave early. We always have to rush the desserts out so he'll at least see them as he's leaving and he and m-i-l decided that she's going home with him to Brooklyn instead of staying at her unmarried daughter's house (20 minutes from us) so they'll definitely leave early to avoid traffic and driving at night! So now I know we'll be rushing like crazy to get the cakes out. Whatever! icon_sad.gif

Now here's the part that really gets my goat: I started baking yesterday and then decided at 9am this morning to finally go to sleep for three hours and then finish up my baking and some decorating today. Last night I told DH that even though I'm trying to keep the two birthday cakes and the anniversary cake small, it's still going to be a lot of cake so I would use a dummy for the bottom tier of his parents anniv. cake. He doesn't like the idea of having a fake cake and tells me to just use a mix and not go crazy. For this cake the top tier is a tiramisu cake and if I'm going to use a real cake on the bottom I want something that will compliment that. Thankfully melysa answered my post and PM'd me a recipe that I used to make two thin 10" square layers that were supposed to make the bottom tier of the anniv. cake. While cooling however, one of my two older children left the safety gate to the kitchen open and I found Carina (my two yr. old) in the kitchen and a big unfixable chunk taken out of one of the layers. I'm so angry I could scream!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I baked Carina's cake - a 10" square oreo filled butter cake and a multi-colored "white" 6" round cake for the top tier. I also did the top tier of the anniv. cake - three 6" round tiramisu cakes. And for my s-i-l's bday cake - I made a 2 layer 8" Basic Golden Cake. I also made the tiramisu filling and tried for the first time, Shirley's IMBC (tastes delish). I still have to make BC and fondant and I'm totally exhausted and now I'm suppose to make another cake!!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif I don't think so!

Time to put the dummy to work and the first one to say anything negative will get it shoved down his throat!!! By the way, did I mention the hour that was taken out of my baking time when my two older kids decided to fight over where to put the bicycles in the garage (a difference of about 8 inches!!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Congrats if you've stayed with me this long and thanks for reading my rant. I've got noone else to share this stuff with and I'm about to cry, I'm so frustrated. I am hoping that this possible commercial kitchen rental that I'm looking into will work out well. I have to e-mail the owner back and set up the appt. to look at it next week. Wish me luck! Pleeeaaaassse!

7 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 7:55am
post #2 of 8

Good luck hun!!! I have the offer of a commercial kitchen, but I've yet to use it because I like to be in my own surroundings - but when I'm trying to decorate a cake and prevent my 5 & 15yr olds killing each other, I sometimes think the peace would be nice! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, now pour yourself a large glass of wine and go and take a long soak in the tub icon_smile.gif!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 8:00am
post #3 of 8

Thanks, b.jovibabe! Wish I could take your advice, but I'm still working on these cakes for Sat. It's a bit of work, but when you factor in all the interruptions with my three kids......I think I lost about 3 hours today in just stopping arguements, changing the "baby"/toddler, filling the sippy cups and reprimanding the older kids! That also doesn't count the phone calls, two loads of laundry, etc.

Yeah, as much as I also like being in my own surroundings....WHEN I'M ALONE........I'm really hoping this commercial kitchen deal works out. At least then I can be legal.

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 8:27am
post #4 of 8

Okay,weird,I posted earlier & it's not here !! icon_confused.gif
Grace, I feel exhausted just reading about your weekend !!!
Happy belated birthday for Carina ( best day of the year to be born on !!!! )
Good luck with everything this w/end icon_biggrin.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 8:31am
post #5 of 8

Thanks, Jules. Right now I'm just trying to "unwind" a bit and then I'm hitting the sack.

Thanks for the birthday greeting for Carina and a Happy Belated birthday to you, too!! icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:38am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Time to put the dummy to work and the first one to say anything negative will get it shoved down his throat!!!

Sorry about your weekend dealings and Happy birthday to your daughter but I have to say that quote is so funny. LOL not down their throat but down his throat. Men just don't get it sometimes. Vent away n icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 8

Wow, you have a lot going on!!! Good luck with everything!

It's funny....I also have a dd named Karina who will be 2 in January.

Courtney

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 10:40pm
post #8 of 8

OMG! I am exhausted just reading about your weekend! I hope when all your family arrives you will be able to really enjoy the day. Birthday parties for little ones are soooo great! Can't say birthday parties for my age group are so much fun with all the wise cracking about over the hill stuff.

But here's my little gem of advice-you can use it because I never had the nerve to do it. My mom always planned great extravaganzas-way, way-lots of work and then when the work needed to be done-Oh! bad luck her back went out and she had to stay in bed and my sister and I had to do it all-so the guests wouldn't be disappointed. So-How's your back feeling? Need to spend some time soaking in the tub or what????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%