I Entered Duff's Extreme Cake Contest! Need Ideas Now!!

Decorating By CAKESHERWAY Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 4:27pm by springlakecake

CAKESHERWAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKESHERWAY Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 201

Hey everyone! Okay, so Duff is coming to Illinois next month and is having a Totally Awesome Cake Contest. I am one of the 50 contestents. The rules are simple:

Cake must fit on a 24"X24" table and there is no height limit.
Cake can be foam but must be able to be reproduced in real cake.
All edible materials on the outside of cake (except for wires/picks to hold things in place).

Now, Duff himself says he NEVER follows the rules and rarely even READS them! So, I figure the more extreme the better right??

I need some help with some extreme cake ideas! PLEEEEEAAASSSSE!!! Just throw out some ideas to me...anything??

200 replies
acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 201

is there anything really cool that illinois is famous for? a building or land structure?

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 201

do you have to be able to carry it? Or can you assemble the cake there?

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 201

How about an Abe Lincoln cake? Is there any kind of theme they're looking for? Be honest with yourself and play to your strengths.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 201

i'd incorporate a lot of the things famous in illinois or things like the state flower, state bird, etc. icon_biggrin.gif

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 201

Duff likes to blow things up. Didnt you Illinois explode a sports stadium not too long ago? You could make a replica then demolish it!!

I know, make a replica of his bakery and all his staff members!!!

sewlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewlora Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 201

Oh how exciting!

If there is a theme, that will help!

I have no suggestions at this point, other than what others have said about maybe using things specific to the state.

Good luck, can't wait to see the results. I wonder if they will televise this at some point?

fabbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabbo Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 201

I live in northern Illinois and I want to know where this contest is? I would LOVE to go see this. If I know where it is, maybe I could give you some ideas.

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 6:13pm
post #9 of 201

A replica of the buildings/places Illinois is famous for...
Sears Tower
Harpo
That sculpture in MILLENNIUM Park
Wine trails

I can't think of anything else...

Hope this helps.

ameyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ameyer Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 201

It is in Rockford, IL at the Discovery Museum

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 201

If the contest is close to Halloween, maybe a spooky theme?
Like a Haunted House with windows that swing open on their own and creatures that pop out? Maybe even glowing lights inside?

I'm not good with motors and electrical things, but I know Duff loves that stuff.

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 6:16pm
post #12 of 201

OMG I am so excited for you!! Duff is my hero...my dream is to meet him one day!

As far as a cake goes, I vote for an Abe Lincoln bust...the more realistic the better! And I bet Duff would give extra points if Abe was winking or doing a "fist of rock"!

fabbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabbo Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 6:32pm
post #13 of 201

I'm so sad icon_cry.gif I have to go to a wedding in the opposite direction that day. I'm with album angel. I don't know how experienced you are but I was thinking Halloween. If you go to Michaels, they were showing displays of the hollow craft pumpkins, some with moving parts and lights. You can see all the little diaramas inside the pumpkin. You could make them out of fondant or gumpaste. You could make flying ghosts or something. Let the imagination go wild.

vonnie99 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 6:39pm
post #14 of 201

If I remember properly, on the ACE of Cakes episodes that dealt with the engine cake for Leno, did n't Leno's prop guy say taht "blowing up a cake" is actually harder to do than you'd think because the sponginess of the cake will absorb the explosion or something? Anyhow - unless you really know what you're doing, I'd stay away from anything explosive... But I agree with others - you should try something innovative...take whatever your particular stengths are are exploit the daylights out of them!!

CAKESHERWAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKESHERWAY Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 9:05pm
post #15 of 201

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for offering up some ideas! The contest is in Rockford Illinois on Oct 20! I am thrilled and scared to death!

As for a theme, the name of the competition is Ace of Cakes- Rockin Rockford: Totally Awesome Cake Contest.

As for things related to Illinois: The Sears Tower, Farming, Abe Lincoln that's about it.

So far I like all of these themes. Anyone else have anything different??? PLEEEASSE!!

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 10:18pm
post #16 of 201

bump

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 12:18am
post #17 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiecakes

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for offering up some ideas! The contest is in Rockford Illinois on Oct 20! I am thrilled and scared to death!

As for a theme, the name of the competition is Ace of Cakes- Rockin Rockford: Totally Awesome Cake Contest.

As for things related to Illinois: The Sears Tower, Farming, Abe Lincoln that's about it.

So far I like all of these themes. Anyone else have anything different??? PLEEEASSE!!

as a native son of Illinois....oh come on -- there's so MUCH more!

what about:

Corn (sweet and otherwise --- still the best corn in the world to me!)
Soybeans
Pigs
(monster corn cob w/ little pigs running around on it?)

Carl Sandburg (esp. his poem Chicago)

Chicago deep dish pizza (from Geno's East! -- still THE BEST!!!! and I'll take mine w/ everything but anchovies, thank you!)

The Water Tower in Chicago

The Cubs (and remember Duff did Wrigley Field!)

The clock from the old Marshall C. Fields & Company building downtown

The White Socks

Frank Lloyd Wright!!!!!!!!! (all the buildings you could do! Oak Park has over 8 of his buildings, including his home & studio and there are others scattered all about)

Gwendolyn Brooks (poetry!)

Lorraine Hansberry (wrote Raisin in the Sun)

All the museums in Chicago - esp. Museum of Science and Industry and the Art Insitutue)

and then there is Lake Michigan of course.

and the Miracle Mile

The original founders of Improv sketch comedy -- SECOND CITY in Old Town Chicago -- were Jane Curtain, Dan Akroyd, Chevy Chase, The Belushi brothers and so many others got their start

and for course Marina City -- "those" 2 apt. buildings on the river http://www.marina-city.com/ (would make a very tall and interesting cake -- esp if you did a car crashing into the river like they did in the tv commercial for car insurance)

and think of the fun of making fun of
Mrs. Oleary, her cow and the Great Fire of 1871 (a cake in FLAMES! --- a whole diorama of old Chi-town going up in flames and that cow running for it's life! --- that'd be extreme)

oh....and don't forget Al Capone, the 20's, gin joints, tommy guns.

-----

OOOOOOO......and working off that last one ---

the movie Some Like it Hot with Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis in drag (OUCH on the eyeballs) and Marilyn Monroe!!! -- soooo much you could do with that.

-----
Trains -- Chi-town was once THE central hub for almost all train traffic --- The Rock Island line very famous example

-----

and who about COAL -- major producer for many years (both shaft and strip mines)

-----

the Loop -- could be interesting creating a 3D replica of the elevated trains.

----

and of course the tv show ER which is set in Chicago (mythical Chicago Hope Hospital)

----

and then you could do a take on almost any novel or short story by Ray Bradbury who is also a native son of Waukegan, Illinois -- my fav would be to do the big old victorian house from Dandelion Wine (based on his real grandparent's home and his family's which stood right next door) or the evil circus from Something Wicked this Way Comes.

-----

now you've gone and done it! --- got me homesick for Illinois and Chicago -- my kind of town! (cue Sinatra!) (oooo...another idea of cake of Frank singing the song and a cake that illustrates what he's singing about)

vonnie99 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 12:47am
post #18 of 201

Wow! Doug - that is some great brain storming I am imagining some pretty spectacular things now... If Corn is a big thing what if you did a "popcorn"cake - could you maybe do something like popcorn popping inside the cake...like make a cake that looks like one of those popcorn stand things, and have a real popper inside so you could flip a switch and start things up....
Or what about honest Abe eating a deep dish pizza?
If you are really good with fondant I think you could really do a great scene with the Al Capone idea

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 12:49am
post #19 of 201

I agree with staying away with explosives if you're not experienced with this, but I think it would be cool to add a few built-in bowls with dry ice/liquid for a fog/smoke effect.

Doug Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 12:56am
post #20 of 201

cake can also be made to explode by blowing up a small balloon planted inside until it bursts.

not as flashy as fireworks (which for the most part are illegal in Illinois for non-pros to use.)

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:06am
post #21 of 201

I would tell you my idea, but we would have to split the prize. LOL!

Hey, Doug, you forgot Sinatra singing Chicago -- his swinging tribute to "that toddling town."

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Doug Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:10am
post #22 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I would tell you my idea, but we would have to split the prize. LOL!

Hey, Doug, you forgot Sinatra singing Chicago -- his swinging tribute to "that toddling town."

Theresa icon_smile.gif

did I???

read the last two lines of my monster long post!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:13am
post #23 of 201

oops, sorry, missed it.

T. icon_smile.gif

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:19am
post #24 of 201

I think a replica of charm city cakes would be cool with his staff all there, but the extreme part would be that one of Duff's exploding cakes has gone horribly wrong. You could make it look like the roof blew off the building, Duff holding a cake w/ flames shooting out of it flying through the air, a fire truck and ambulance outside of the bakery, and his staff lying around in various positions or on stretchers with bandages. bits of other cakes and cake tools strewn about for some extra effects and smoke and flames coming out the top. Cotton candy dyed gray could be used as the smoke so that it is light and fluffly and won't weigh too much. I think that cake would totally rock! LOL is this competition going to be televised?

ooh ooh.....and you could have a little sign that says, was this an accident or foul play? And then have a masked chicken running around. OKay, so maybe that part only apppeals to my warped sense of humor, but I digress! LOL

JanetPlanet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetPlanet Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:22am
post #25 of 201

Doug has it! The Blues Brothers! You get Chicago plus the "Rockin'" part. Somebody here just recently posted some Jake and Elroy fondant figures. Could be the competition! icon_eek.gif

Illinois corn now is the one and only Garrett's popcorn! Could you make a cake with marshmallow "popcorn" blowing out the top? Now I'm drooling...

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:30am
post #26 of 201

What about forming the words ACE OF CAKES and have minitures of the staff hanging off the words and make the words a little cock-eyed and a small model of the charms city cakes building proping it up like that.

Then have duff looking up at the workers laughing or something like that you get the general idea.

Good luck, wish i could be there to support you. After all we are all part of the cc family. LOL

Doug Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:35am
post #27 of 201

oh....and more Chicago "institution"...

how could we not mention ....

OPRAH!

JenLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenLen Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:36am
post #28 of 201

Here's one that Doug left out.....the original Playboy mansion and club are in Chicago. Now there would be an interesting cake! icon_smile.gif lol

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:59am
post #29 of 201

I kinda think it'd be interesting to have a large Abe Lincoln climbing the Sears Tower holding a screaming Duff in his hands... in the style of King Kong. (And going with someone elses suggestion above) have a fire making its way through the rest of the city on one side of the building with a cow stampeding toward the Sears Tower? Maybe a field of corn on the other side of the building with parts of it turning into a trail of popcorn (bc of the fire). Maybe have another famous figure like Oprah riding the cow? Dunno if that might be offensive though.

That's all I've got! Good luck!!! I bet you're so excited!

~Carrie

danar217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danar217 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 2:13am
post #30 of 201

I'm in IL too and didn't know about this! Wow, how exciting for you! Congrats!
I love all the ideas on here. Since it's not in Chicago, I think the corn idea is a great one. Especially this time of year, with harvest and all. Also, don't forget about the Bears and Cubs...Duff has done cakes of both. Your options are unlimited. I'm about 3 hours from there but I want to come so bad!!

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%