I Entered Duff's Extreme Cake Contest! Need Ideas Now!!

Decorating By CAKESHERWAY Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 4:27pm by springlakecake

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 6:22pm
post #181 of 201

I have to say that the dinner was my least favorite part of the day. There were a lot of people there (my guess was probably over 400) Anyway my table was way in the back and there was a wedding going on next door. The music was really thumping and I couldnt hear that well when he was talking. The food was shall we say....unusual! LOL! The went with an all cake themed dinner. Salad was in cake boxes. The dinner was supposed to look like cake, but it was like pureed carrots, meat and polenta. It also had chocolate sauce on the top! I didnt care for it, and I don't think most people did based on how much people left on their plates! I see where they were going, but it was a little weird. The drinks were good!

Don't get me wrong, it was a nice event, but I was really really tired by then and the questions people asked were similar to the day's events. I met some nice people at our table and overall it was fun.

MBoyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBoyd Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 6:32pm
post #182 of 201

Here's a link to my flickr page where I have more photos posted:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15588893@N07/sets/72157602613843584/

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 7:18pm
post #183 of 201

Wow! Those are some awesome cakes!

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:44pm
post #184 of 201

Amazing cakes! Thanks for sharing!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 10:53pm
post #185 of 201

Wow!! What amazing talent!!!! I'd have loved to go in person!!

Thanks for sharing! icon_smile.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 10:56pm
post #186 of 201

Wonderful cakes, thanks for sharing this event with all of us.

CAKESHERWAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKESHERWAY Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:05pm
post #187 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBoyd

Hey Michelle! Any chance you toolk a pic of my minnie and mickey on Friday night? If so, please pm me!!!! Thanks!

springlakecake Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:14pm
post #188 of 201

Hey Amie:
I tried unsuccessfully again to get the pictures restored icon_cry.gif I am really really sorry! Your photo is pretty cool though of him talking about your cake!

MBoyd Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:55pm
post #189 of 201

Hey Merrisa -
I was wondering if you have any fondant tricks or secrets you would be willing to share. How did you get it so flawless? Even Duff commented on it. Do you use a specific brand or make your own? I know that when I knead color into mine, especially when I'm making a dark color, it can sometimes get a little overworked.
Thanks!

springlakecake Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:21pm
post #190 of 201

wow-thanks!

Only my most recent cakes (since july or so) I have used satin ice. I got pretty good at mmf, but i got tired of making it, the mess, the time, and the getting it "just right". So I tried satin ice, and now i wont go back. Not to say that mmf can't be done well, it just all around easier for me to use satin ice.

yeah, making dark colors is really hard. I did make the Lightning mcqueen and thomas the train cakes using mmf that I colored (trick add color before powdered sugar and add less water) But it is still a weird consistency. So again SATIN ICE!

When I am putting the fondant on, now I use the large rolling pin to transfer it. I used to just pick it up, a rolling pin is easier. I never ever commit to a wrinkle in the fondant. I dont raise up my cakes like some people do. And if I dont get it right, I do it over and over and over! I don't want to tell you how many times I put fondant on the scarecrow head! I must have done it for 2 hours. Also like he said, work fast so it doesnt start to dry out.

But by looking at your cakes on your website, it doesnt appear that you have any problems getting the fondant perfect....!

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 9:23pm
post #191 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBoyd

Thanks, they are great!

bgallay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bgallay Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 11:07pm
post #192 of 201

Here are my pictures on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bgallay/sets/72157602540747234/

I have one with mickey & minnie, but it's not the only cake and it's only partial - but it is there.

I am sorry to hear that the dinner wasn't so great - for the price that really stinks. Merissa - in my flickr pictures there's one of you getting your award - it's not great but it is there.

MBoyd Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 11:40pm
post #193 of 201

Thanks for sharing Barbara - you got a bunch that I missed. These are all great!

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:04am
post #194 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

wow-thanks!

Only my most recent cakes (since july or so) I have used satin ice. I got pretty good at mmf, but i got tired of making it, the mess, the time, and the getting it "just right". So I tried satin ice, and now i wont go back. Not to say that mmf can't be done well, it just all around easier for me to use satin ice.

yeah, making dark colors is really hard. I did make the Lightning mcqueen and thomas the train cakes using mmf that I colored (trick add color before powdered sugar and add less water) But it is still a weird consistency. So again SATIN ICE!

When I am putting the fondant on, now I use the large rolling pin to transfer it. I used to just pick it up, a rolling pin is easier. I never ever commit to a wrinkle in the fondant. I dont raise up my cakes like some people do. And if I dont get it right, I do it over and over and over! I don't want to tell you how many times I put fondant on the scarecrow head! I must have done it for 2 hours. Also like he said, work fast so it doesnt start to dry out.

But by looking at your cakes on your website, it doesnt appear that you have any problems getting the fondant perfect....!

There were some awesome cakes at the competition..I would have loved to have been there..maybe Duff will come to my hometown..yea right..wishful thinking...

Anyway, Where do you buy satin ice? Does it taste weird or anything? I like the taste of MMF and dont like the taste of Wilton. Is it better than those? I cant afford to buy alot so im hoping satin ice isnt that expensive. Also how much does it take of the satin ice? take alot or about the same amount as MMF?
Thanks

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 4:42am
post #195 of 201

I found a pic I took of the 'cake nightmare' before it toppled. Amy, I'm sorry, my hubby was walking around taking pics of the cakes when yours took it's tumble, so I didn't get a pic of it. icon_sad.gif

I have to say that although I had a great time meeting all of you fellow CCers, I left feeling very disappointed about how limited our access/time with Duff was. I agree, some time spent catering more to the cake decorators would have been nice. I had ordered a hat for Duff with my company logo on it (via cafepress.com) that I wanted to give him at the dinner, but they seemed to keep everyone at arm's lengths from him. I guess I could've walked over to his table while everyone was eating, but I didn't want to be the only weirdo that couldn't mind my manners and let the man eat. LOL So, I guess I'll mail the hat to him, or keep it for myself since I don't have one.

I've uploaded my pics to shutterfly, but can't get the sharing link to work, so I'll try again tomorrow. In the meantime, here's the cake nightmare...
LL

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:02am
post #196 of 201

Amazing cakes, just amazing! And getting to meet Duff, too?! Wow! I wonder if there will be any nursing conventions near one of Duff's appearances? Hmmmm. Two birds, one stone!

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:10am
post #197 of 201

They are great cakes - well done everyone! Is there an official web-site for this event? Who was the winner?

springlakecake Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:15pm
post #198 of 201

[quote="momsandraven"]

I have to say that although I had a great time meeting all of you fellow CCers, I left feeling very disappointed about how limited our access/time with Duff was. I agree, some time spent catering more to the cake decorators would have been nice. quote]

Yeah, I agree with you. My feeling is that they just didnt have the forsight to realize there was going to be a huge mob of people trying to meet him. So many people so little Duff icon_cry.gif ! My DH was also one trying to to get the museum people to create some special lines etc for the decorators. He kept going up to them and saying "are you doing some special for the contestants?" And finally they at least set up a separate line for us.

I also didn't want to stalk the poor guy. I really wanted to get my shirt and apron signed. Oh well. I hope if they plan it again they could just set aside a few minutes for contestants to actually "MEET" him. Overall it was totally fun though.

No, I don't think there is a special website. The winner was Bob something. I think someone put his cake up here somewhere in this thread. It was a huge colorful cake, geared around the the Discovery Center. He was a super nice guy.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:39pm
post #199 of 201

Wow, it looks like all of you CCers and others did a wonderful job! Maybe I missed it on several pages back, but was there Prize $$$$ involved with this contest? Just wondering.

bgallay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bgallay Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:56pm
post #200 of 201

No, no prize money. It was mainly a benefit for the Children's Museum in Rockford, so it would kind of defeat the purpose if they GAVE away money. I am sure that Merrissa feels pretty special though icon_smile.gif Here's a link to the winner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bgallay/1716876279/

It had moving gears and flowers with LEDs in them at the top. Maybe even more

springlakecake Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 4:27pm
post #201 of 201

Yes, I did feel pretty special (and lucky since there were some amazing cakes there!)

Think Mastercard commerical:

Hotel and Duff events: $400
My DH smashing the van into a large rock (another story icon_eek.gif ) $500?
Winning 3rd place and Duff talking about my cake: Priceless!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%