Stitch Technique??

Decorating By diane Updated 8 Sep 2007 , 2:38pm by 7yyrt

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 12:39pm
post #1 of 16

does anyone know where i can find a tutorial on this, or maybe a book that i can purchase that has it. i know it's in the cake decorating magazine in one of their past issues, but it will take at least a month or so before i can get it, and i'll be gone by then. it sort of looks like stitch work. thanks in advance!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
LL

15 replies
AnneZA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnneZA Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 12:52pm
post #2 of 16

Do you mean the embroidery technique? Toba Garrett has a little bit about it in her Cake book, but not to the extent that the beautiful cake you showed. Hope someone else can enlighten us.

GrannieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannieJ Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 16

Are you asking about the flowers? Because they look like they have been painted on to me.

diane Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 12:58pm
post #4 of 16

yes, it is the embroidery look. if that picture looks painted on then maybe i need to find something better. icon_surprised.gif

kisha311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisha311 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 16

That looks like brushed embroidery to me. If so, there's lots of posts here with tips on how to do it neatly. Hopefully this is correct. Good luck.

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 16

If you look at the first tier of the cake to the left were you can just see the flower, it looks like its raised from the cake.

I'm not sure that it is embroidery.

Look really close. It may be rice paper or icing sheet cut outs.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 16

When I saw this, it reminded me of one that Moydear77 did...here is the link

http://cakecentral.com/cake-photo_134393.html

The technique is probably similar and she is great to help.

HTH

diane Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:30pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneK

When I saw this, it reminded me of one that Moydear77 did...here is the link

http://cakecentral.com/cake-photo_134393.html

The technique is probably similar and she is great to help.

HTH

yes!!! that's the technique! thanks...your a gem! now...we can i find the books or tutorial??? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

JaneK Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:41pm
post #9 of 16

You should send Moydear77 a PM and ask.....perhaps she will respond to this thread icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

diane Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:54pm
post #10 of 16

i did...she said she learned it in cake decorating magazine...the very one that takes months to arrive! icon_redface.gif

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:14pm
post #11 of 16

I'm having a hard time seeing the details, but are the flowers satin stitched like the letters and leaves in the picture below? Toba Garrett gives great instructions for satin stitching in her "Professional Cake Decorating" book. BTW, the picture is one of Toba Garrett's cakes (from her website).

The only other idea I have is to email the folks at the magazine and see if they can tell you who wrote the article in question. That person might have a website that could help you out (or you could get lucky and it turns out to be a CC member!).

Bec
LL

JaneK Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:24pm
post #12 of 16

Do you have Toba Garrett's books? Maybe you could get it at the library ...anyhow, I don't know how it would work on the side of a cake but you do the outline of the design in colour flow...when it is dry, you go over the dried icing which is sort of puffy looking with back and forth motions with a small round tip...
You'd have to make the flower separate from the cake and then stick it on afterwards I should imagine...sorry I can't be of more help..

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:32pm
post #13 of 16

I think this is what you are looking for

http://www.cakescanada.com/HowTo/decorative_painting_193.pdf

It is painted and raised flower on fondant and the results are Amazing and it looks really simple to do

JaneK Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:49pm
post #14 of 16

I think you are right Darcat!! That is amazing..thanks for sharing...

diane Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:27am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_heart_pastry

I'm having a hard time seeing the details, but are the flowers satin stitched like the letters and leaves in the picture below? Toba Garrett gives great instructions for satin stitching in her "Professional Cake Decorating" book. BTW, the picture is one of Toba Garrett's cakes (from her website).

The only other idea I have is to email the folks at the magazine and see if they can tell you who wrote the article in question. That person might have a website that could help you out (or you could get lucky and it turns out to be a CC member!).

Bec

yes...this is the technique!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 2:38pm
post #16 of 16

quote:
NatalieJ75 says:
I had to look twice to see where the fondant ended and fabric began! Beautiful! That flower is amazing, how did you do it?
January 26th, 2007
moydear77 says:
The flower is extruded through a clay gun--The ten hours. Each strand of fondant is layed one on top of a another to get the look of embroidery. The leaves are extruded fondant too!
:unquote

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%