Fondant Daisy ???

Decorating By mazaryk Updated 5 Sep 2007 , 3:08pm by Gefion

mazaryk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazaryk Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 4:02am
post #1 of 12

Please help, I need instructions for how to make a fondant daisy. I tried searching in previous posts and all over the internet.
Thanks in advance

11 replies
tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 4:16am
post #2 of 12

I would think that most people use the fondant daisy cutter. It comes in the Wilton gum paste flower making kit.

You could make a trace and just cut it out.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

S.

mazaryk Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 4:25am
post #3 of 12

Would I just take the daisy cutter and cut out 2 daisies, shape the petals on a foam square using that ball tool (sorry forgot the proper name) then lay them overlapping each other (not directly overlapping the petals), "glue" them together, then add a small ball of fondant (yellow?) for the center, then press netting to get the center to look more realistic????????------ Would that work?????????

Hope that made sense???? Any tips from anyone who has made the classic fondant daisy please let me know.. . . please. . ..

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 4:26am
post #4 of 12

I agree, the easiest way is with the daisy cutter. Wilton has a pack of three.

Here's what they look like and they are inexpensive:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=417-439&killnav=1

Michaels has them for sure. icon_biggrin.gif

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 4:34am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazaryk

Would I just take the daisy cutter and cut out 2 daisies, shape the petals on a foam square using that ball tool (sorry forgot the proper name) then lay them overlapping each other (not directly overlapping the petals), "glue" them together, then add a small ball of fondant (yellow?) for the center, then press netting to get the center to look more realistic????????------ Would that work?????????

Hope that made sense???? Any tips from anyone who has made the classic fondant daisy please let me know.. . . please. . ..

Sounds great! I think it would be more of a contrast to use some colored royal icing in the middle though. I've seen daisies that are just he one layer or 2 layers. You don't need to use any of the tools on them because you just roll it to the thickness you want and then cut. Daisies are thinned out flower petals. Hope this makes sense.

S.

JenLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenLen Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 4:37am
post #6 of 12

mazaryk~

I just took the fondant and gum paste class and that is exactely how we were taught to do the daisies.

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 4:39am
post #7 of 12

Here's a tutorial link on gerbera daisy which you could modify to suit your needs. I believe the person who created this tutorial is a cc member (I think I recognized one of her cakes).
http://www.gefjonsdottir.com/gerberatut.html

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 4:41am
post #8 of 12
Cake-Happy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Happy Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 4:47am
post #9 of 12

I made my Daisy cake by doing exactly what mazaryk said (in my pics). I used the Wilton daisy cutter. For one daisy you would use two daisy cut outs. Using the ball and vein tool, push down in the centers with the rounded end to make them sort of curl up. We used gum glue in class to glue the center of the bottom daisy to the center of the top daisy. I'm sure you could use vanilla just a well, but the gum glue really holds them in place. I used yellow fondant and then rolled them in yellow shimmer dust (optional). You can put them in a flower former so the petals don't lay flat and will look more natural when they dry.

Oh yea, forgot to mention that with the individual cut outs on top of a foam square... I layed a toothpick down the length of each petal to put a dent down the center (gives it a little more realistic look). Something they showed us in class. HTH. Good luck and be sure and post pics when your done. You'll do great! thumbs_up.gif

Cake-Happy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Happy Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 4:52am
post #10 of 12

Mazaryk... I just realized that you were also the one asking the question. icon_redface.gif You were right on the money! Good Luck!

mazaryk Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:45pm
post #11 of 12

thank-you all for the advice, I was just guessing after looking at many daisies here. I do plan on getting the daisy fondant cutters and will post pics next week of them. Hope this works. . .fingers crossed

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 3:08pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by regymusic

Here's a tutorial link on gerbera daisy which you could modify to suit your needs. I believe the person who created this tutorial is a cc member (I think I recognized one of her cakes).
http://www.gefjonsdottir.com/gerberatut.html

She sure is... I am working on a new version of the gerbera tut though, to replace that one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%