Thanksgivingdinner In Sweden...

Decorating By MariaScand Updated 4 Nov 2006 , 12:51pm by Ohara

MariaScand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaScand Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 12:13pm
post #1 of 25

Hi all...
I live in Sweden and I would like to invite to and serve a typical Thanksgiving-dinner but I dont know what to serve...? Turkey, yes, but the rest? Dessert? What to drink? Thankful for tips on what to serve. Recipes are greatly appreciated but most important is to find out WHAT to serve. Recipes can always be found on the Net... hopefully...

I pose this question here since Im already a member and didnt know where to ask otherwise....

Tks in adv
Maria H, Ucklum, Sweden....

24 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 25

Mmm! Turkey, stuffing, candied sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce! At my house there is always pumpkin and apple pie for dessert - and cheesecake!

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 25

Have to have the turkey! And stuffing, sweet potatoes with melted marshmallows, (we do mashed potatoes also), cranberry sauce (no one actually likes it, but my husband insists it be on the table icon_smile.gif, pumpkin pie and apple pie. Our own family traditions are also a green bean casserole, black olives, and sparkling cider.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 12:41pm
post #4 of 25

Dear Maria,

Hello from the United States! I am honored by your interest in one of our nation's most important holidays! It's wonderful to think that Thanksgiving has gone global.

My family is very multi-cultural, so we have several ethnic foods along with traditional Thanksgiving fare. We are talking about Eastern European foods, Puerto Rican foods, and Soul Food along with the basic turkey and trimmings.

I would like to suggest the Thanksgiving Menu page from the Martha Stewart website. The Classic Menu sounds lovely, and were I using this webpage, I would probably mix and match dishes from all the different menus to suit my family's tastes.

Here is the link:

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=channel172159&contentGroup=MSL&site=living&rsc=ns2006_m3

Theresa icon_smile.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 25

Oooo! Forgot about the green bean casserole and mashed potatoes! thumbs_up.gif

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 25

Lingenberries substituted for cranberries

MariaScand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaScand Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 25

... for all answers! Have been searching on the Net but only got confused about what menu to serve.... Think Its clearer now...

Theresa, we are also a sort of multiethnical, nonrelatedstillfamilyboundstype of family... thats is... we reluctantly "celebrate" xmas with my husbands siblings and father (My parents/sibling live 1200 km away...)

If we could shoose we would rather celebrate together with our former fosterdaughter (From Iran) and her family but since blood is thicker than water we feel obliged to be with our blood-family...

So therefore we would like to invite our fosterdaughter, her brother and her family to a swedish form of Thanksgiving instead....!

thumbs_up.gif Sooo thank You all again!!!! thumbs_up.gif
Maria

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 5:10pm
post #8 of 25

Everyone.....you forgot the gravy!!!!!!
Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole (this is a U.S. custom I think now!), pumpkin pie, whether pumpkin cheesecake or pie, pecan pie, jello's, we always have wine and the kids get the carbonated juice which tastes like wine to them. Yes, they do get to drink it in a wine glass (although some will say I'm promoting drinking, but they are smart enough to know), and of course the meal has to start with appetizers! These may consist of vegetable trays with dips, chips and dip, bbq meatballs, pigs in a blanket (cocktail sausages wrapped in bisquit dough). Mmmmmmm I can't wait for turkey day!!!!!

vickymacd Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 25

I also forgot about the stuffing and rolls!

Brendansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendansmum Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 5:21pm
post #10 of 25

Good luck on your traditional Thanksgiving! I want to add Jello Salad to the mix. My "step" grandmother used to make this every Thanksgiving and no one would eat it! Until me and my brother came along. She would use lime jello, pineapple, cream cheese and cool whip. I still make it every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. And as far as blood is thicker than water, this woman was nothing to us and she took us in and loved us when my own true Grandmother had stopped speaking to my mother and us kids. I love her very much still even though her son and my mom are divorced. She was and is the best Grandma anyone could have. My "real" grandma I never knew, she died a few years back and I felt so uncomfortable around her. We didn't start speaking until she found out she had cancer. I think she wanted to have peace. I don't think blood matters one bit if you truly love someone! I hate that you feel obligated just because it's "real" family. But with that said, and totally off the topic, enjoy your holiday with her and her family! icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 5:29pm
post #11 of 25

oooh what about the pecan pie??? mmmmm...I LOVE pecan pie! I don't like it room temp. though...I like it frozen solid....well as solid as it gets.....the sugary part is all chewy and delcious..mmmm. AND what about corn???? Gotta have the corn right????? One of my favorite veggies and it WAS what the Indians brought to the feast right?

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 5:32pm
post #12 of 25

In MinneSOOOOOTA we call the canned green bean casserole the "Green Bean Hot Dish."

Don't forget the little baby gerkin pickles and olives in the divided dish! It is the only time of the year I get to use that dish.

Oh ya and Great Aunt Jessie's fruit salad loaded with whipped cream in her antique crystal dish, weve got have fresh fruit cuz we need something healthy even if it is smothered. icon_lol.gif

Because the fridge is too small, everything goes on the back porch till tomorrow when we have leftovers. icon_wink.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 5:39pm
post #13 of 25

We always have Waldorf salad and heavenly rice on our Thanksgiving table too!

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 5:40pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

In MinneSOOOOOTA we call the canned green bean casserole the "Green Bean Hot Dish."

Don't forget the little baby gerkin pickles and olives in the divided dish! It is the only time of the year I get to use that dish.

Oh ya and Great Aunt Jessie's fruit salad loaded with whipped cream in her antique crystal dish, weve got have fresh fruit cuz we need something healthy even if it is smothered. icon_lol.gif

Because the fridge is too small, everything goes on the back porch till tomorrow when we have leftovers. icon_wink.gif

Hhahaha! Ditto!

vickymacd Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 5:48pm
post #15 of 25

I knew I should have posted and gotten out of here! I'm sooooo hungry now! Frankly, I can do without the turkey, it's all the other stuff that is sooooo yummy!
Has anyone noticed we have forgotten our new Swedish friend, and have gone off on yummy turkey day feast!
Oh, hurry, turkey day, I'm ready for ya! Gobble, gobble!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 6:10pm
post #16 of 25

Well, VickyMacD,

In my family, we do not all eat the traditional turkey, so we also bake a ham with pineapple and honey, and a huge lasagna, to satisfy the Italian side!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 7:27pm
post #17 of 25

Here you go, Vicky... icon_evil.gif
LL

Woole2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Woole2 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 7:45pm
post #18 of 25

Ohh yes I only have the one dish I use twice a year and they call it a relish dish to put sweet pickles, olive and baby corn on it..lol.. I dont know why I still put it out since hardly anyone eats it. Must be cause my ggma used to do..lol.. Dont forget about the HAM with that turkey. How about a deep fried turkey my husband insists that we have deep fried turkey instead of traditional. Also bread pudding. YUM

[/quote]

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 8:56pm
post #19 of 25

It all sounds great but y'all forgot the noodles.. I have to laugh that turkey is such a healthy food.......and then we add all the carbs icon_lol.gif YUM!

flavacakes Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 9:20pm
post #20 of 25

Us Minnesotans gotta have Lefsa! icon_biggrin.gif

Ohara Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 3:03am
post #21 of 25

Ok...what's Lefsa?

flavacakes Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 5:29am
post #22 of 25

It's a Norwegian/Scandinavian potato flat bread, it kind of looks like a tortilla. I like to spread butter and sugar on it and roll it up. It's yummy! thumbs_up.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 5:55am
post #23 of 25

Definitely the molded gelatin salad...

I usually make raspberry jello with whole cranberry sauce. But if I want to get fancy I use the frozen cranberry relish (with orange bits), walnuts or pecans and make a salad dressing of mayo or Miracle whip and whipping cream (with a dash of cinnamon).

vickymacd Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 6:06am
post #24 of 25

That turkey looked so delicious! For years my kids never knew Thanksgiving turkeys had that delicious skin on it.....my husband always did the carving and took the crispy skin off and ate it himself!!

Ohara Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 12:51pm
post #25 of 25

flavacakes wrote

Quote:
Quote:

It's a Norwegian/Scandinavian potato flat bread, it kind of looks like a tortilla. I like to spread butter and sugar on it and roll it up. It's yummy!

That sounds great...I'm sure I would love that. Thanks for sharing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%