Impress A Guy

Decorating By licia Updated 2 Nov 2006 , 3:15am by subaru

licia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
licia Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 20

Hey Guys,

I am going to a pig picking for my alma mater's homecoming this weekend. I am trying to make a really big impression for the host which is a really cute.... guy. I went to grade school through college with him. Well,, he has invited me and I asked him if he needed any desserts. He said that his mom was going to me some cakes. Well I have heard about her cooking and I know that I can top her with appearance but I want everyone to rave over my cake(s). So I was thinking of something chocolate bc it seems that most guys love it. So does anyone have any suggestions. I am know you guys think that I seem pressed, well I am!!! So I need a knock your socks off recipe for a chocolate cake and maybe some other type.

Thanks,

licia

19 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 20

I don't mess with any man's mama's cookin'....good or bad.

but....

here's a bump

starrchaser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starrchaser Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 20

i dunno my man doesnt like sweets like cake (opposits attract lol) but here's a bump

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 10:32pm
post #4 of 20

I got totally great reviews of the sunflower cake in my pics. I did a chocolate devils food cake with peanut butter ganache filling and poured ganache frosting. Very yummy. The only thing that I would change is doing a layer of peanutbutter ganache under the chocolate ganach glaze to make a more peanutbuttery taste. The men at the meeting I was at were especially impressed!

Stephanie

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 20

I think I would avoid cakes since he told you his mom was going to make some. I would think that since you asked if he needed desserts and he said his mom was making cakes, that would mean cakes were out, bring some other dessert.

Here's a bump though, 'cause I can't help ya there.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Quote:

I think I would avoid cakes since he told you his mom was going to make some.

I have to agree with madicakes...

But...you could still do some other spectacular dessert...guys like chocolate covered cream puffs and they are easy as pie
You could also make pies, nanaimo bars, and even maybe a cheesecake

If you are firm on making the cakes, then make sure it is a totally different type to what Mom is making....just my 2 cents....

Have fun though and good luck with the fellow!!

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 20

The girls and I here at work don't think you should mess with his mama.
Until there is a ring lay low!!!!! lol

If you want something chocolate. How about the chocolate chip layer cookie with chocolate ganache filling between each layer. Very pretty in appearance but yet not a cake.

Lu

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 20

I would stay away from cakes too since his mom is bringing that. That may get negative brownie points if you try to show her up if in fact you want to get his attention. But definately do something chocolate! I have a french silk pie recipe that I always double and put in a 9x13 because it disappears so fast. Something like that might work. Decorate it up with piped on whip cream and lots of chocolate curls. I know chocolate is the way to my guy's heart! icon_wink.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 11:00pm
post #9 of 20

If his mom is doing cakes, do something else. The men in my family are all cake eaters, but do not like sweet icing.

My men all love pumpkin pie. Find a pumpkin chiffon pie recipe, and go with that. They also love anything they can eat with their hands, brownies, cupcakes, cookies, anything that they can be a little primitive with. Apologies to all the guys out there who disagree, but that's the way it is in my family.

HEY, GUYS! How about giving this gal a helping hand, instead of sitting there reading this thing?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

AngelaDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaDay Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 11:05pm
post #10 of 20

I agree with everyone here, don't try to go toe to toe with his Momma. Respect what he told you, it may have been a hint, try something different. Brownies, whoopie pies (which i can't wait to try, haven't had one since childhood), cookies, etc. Plus if you happen to run into her there, we don't want any "Everybody Loves Raymond" Marie moments. LOL

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 11:08pm
post #11 of 20

I agree with the rest of the responses..don't compete with his mom. Why not do brownies? You can cut them in squares, or use cookie cutters shaped like leaves. YOu could do mocha brownies - on each square put a swirl of choc frosting and put a chocolate covered coffee bean in it. Or put a vanilla buttercream swirl on each with choc shavings and a marchino (sp?) cherry on each.

badgerang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badgerang Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 12:20am
post #12 of 20

don't be scurred of his mama! i'd make a cake and maybe decorate it with their logo or something to do with your alma mater. if it's something the guys can relate with and are enthusiastic about, they'll all love it (points for you!) but if you decide against that, i like Sandy's mocha brownie with the chocolate covered coffee bean idea. that's trendy and unique all at the same time. good luck & let us know how it goesicon_smile.gif

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 12:30am
post #13 of 20

I have to agree with the mojo here, don't mess with the momma thumbsdown.gif I have many, many cheesecake recipes and get nothing but rave reviews on them. It's how I got my job in the bakery where I work thumbs_up.gif PM me if you'd like one.

Either way you go, I wish you the best of luck!!!!! K'ly

dianagreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianagreen Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 12:36am
post #14 of 20

I just asked my guy - one word came out of his mouth "CUPCAKES!" .....then he said "lava cakes are awesome" - ill go with the cupcakes do a cute lil design with bc or fondant - always something that can be a one hand deal is the way is the way to go. GoodLuck! - then there is always just going out for coffee or drinks as a good way to start

cakerunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerunner Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 12:40am
post #15 of 20

What about the cakeballs? Maybe do a peanut butter cake ball plate... cookies, brownies?

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 12:42am
post #16 of 20

no way do you want to get on the bad side of a guys Mom!!!! Make Cookies! You can decorate them and still impress, but still not be in competition with Momma.

licia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
licia Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 2:42am
post #17 of 20

Hey CC Users,

I am glad that so many people responded. I want to do something that will be very well decorated and Wow everyone. The only thing is that I am pretty sure that there will be at least 75 people there. That's why I mentioned a cake, but mostly everyone suggested that I shouldn't, I won't. So I can not do anything that will cost me an arm and leg. I want everyone including his mother to say let me meet the young lady who made this and maybe any other single men who may be there!!. So please keep the suggestions coming please. I am going to try out whatever I decide to make on tommorrow night to see how it goes.

bakedandiced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakedandiced Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 3:11am
post #18 of 20

Go well armed with a couple of pies (I like the french silk pie and pumpkin chiffon that was suggested earlier) and some knock their socks off rocky road brownies!! Good luck

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 3:11am
post #19 of 20

I would not do a cake it would come off wrong. icon_eek.gif Maybe something else good luck

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 3:15am
post #20 of 20

How about a trifle?
If you don't have a trifle bowl, any clear glass bowl will work. And since it is for so many people, you could even use a clear punchbowl.
There are so many recipes, that I'm sure you could find one that you think would be great. They make a pretty presentation, and most everyone loves them.
Of course with layers of crumbled cake, pudding, and fruit, whats not to love?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%