Necessity Is The Mother Of Invention!

Decorating By Franluvsfrosting Updated 4 Sep 2007 , 8:40pm by Franluvsfrosting

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 12:06am
post #1 of 31

First, let me say that my husband is a woodworker; as in he builds and install custom kitchen cabinetry for a living. (He does other woodworking too but his bread and butter is kitchens.) That is why you may find this amusing. icon_smile.gif

I was canning earlier this week and was getting irritated by the lack of workable counter space. I made do during the canning and I made do again when I baked and decorated the wedding shower cake I did this week. Well, today I had to can 25 pounds of pears, bake 6 loaves of quick breads and later I will bake several loaves of our usual wheat bread. I couldn't take it anymore and here's what I came up with. (I told DH I was going to build him a website for his woodworking business and this was going on the homepage! icon_twisted.gif He didn't look amused. icon_rolleyes.gif )
LL

30 replies
aurasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aurasmom Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 12:43am
post #2 of 31

I know what you mean. Our house is 25 years old, and still isn't finished. We remodeled the kitchen and I still don't have the pantry done.

yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 12:47am
post #3 of 31

RALMAO!!!! Way to funny.

I had an EX hubby who only took 7 years to put the knob back on a wardrobe door once icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_cry.gif

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 12:48am
post #4 of 31

I feel for you. I usually have stuff balanced on any semi level surface I can find.

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 12:50am
post #5 of 31

My husband is a carpenter as well, our kitchen is still waiting to be trimmed out... We re-did all our cabinets and (the yet to be done) trim 6 months ago.
Hopefully it will get done quick!
Tracy

DiannaSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiannaSue Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 12:56am
post #6 of 31

I know your frustration in regards to not having enough space I have a small kitchen and I do not have enough space so when I bake I use the dinning room and then the room that I call the cake room I have one upstairs and one downstairs where I keep some of my cake items. My dream (you notice I said DREAM) is to have this great big kitchen with loads and loads of cabinets and counter space. But like I said it's just a dream. But it's a nice big dream.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 1:11am
post #7 of 31

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Love the pic!

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 1:27am
post #8 of 31

Thankfully we moved into a nice big house with an island (not on buckets!) I love every bit of space I have (and I USE every inch as well!) But just think of all the icing and fondant you could store in those buckets! Too cute!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 1:37am
post #9 of 31

That is too funny! Love it! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 1:43am
post #10 of 31

omg that cracked me up lmao hopefully he'll get the hint although like most men you'll probably have to take one of the buckets and hit him over the head with lol

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 1:55am
post #11 of 31

OMG !! That is so funny !!! I love it . Cant believe he didnt think it was funny !! LOL !!!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 2:02am
post #12 of 31

Ok Girls! Listen up! Want to get those nagging jobs done around the house, and you're flat tired of nagging??

Here is a sure fire way to get action out of that DH.

Wait until he's within earshot. Get the biggest, AND I MEAN BIGGEST hammer you can find, and any other tool that can be carried in that is clearly too big for the job. Don't say a word.
Of course a powertool or two helps with this senario too...

Start talking to yourself, all the while, be measuring and taking notes. Wonder out loud what size nail it would take, and reply to yourself, bigger has to be better. Pick up big hammer. Before you can say buttercream, he'll be on the job!

Relax!

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 2:10am
post #13 of 31

OMG..You are so right ..I have done that in the past.... as soon as I pick up the HUGH hammer just to hang up some little picture....And of course walk right past him...He follows me to see what Im doing.. And as always I dont do it right, so he takes over and does it ( the right way LOL! ) And it get done PERFECT !!!

DegaDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DegaDee Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 2:22am
post #14 of 31

OMG Kansaslaura you are so right!! I did that 3 years ago when we bought our 1890's Victorian home. I hated the bathroom upstairs, it has the original clawfoot tub but someone had put contemporary wallpaper & flooring in there and it was hidious. I decided I would pull up the floor covering to get back to the original hardwood floors. All it took was a couple of trips up the stairs with some tools and he was on it immediately!

Got my bathroom redone in a week, floor, walls and all icon_biggrin.gif
Dee

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 2:27am
post #15 of 31

hahahahaha! Ya'll are so funny and you make me feel better about my husband. I love him so much but he procrastinates too. The only way I can get any repairs done around here is if I call HIS dad to do it.

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 3:00am
post #16 of 31

I have used that one on my hubby to, I say ok fine if you wont do it.. I will just call the Guy ! meaning a repair guy LOL! he gets it done NOW! He HATES the idea of paying somebody to do something he can do... Whatever works ladies!!!!!

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 3:01am
post #17 of 31

I have used that one on my hubby to, I say ok fine if you wont do it.. I will just call the Guy ! meaning a repair guy LOL! he gets it done NOW! He HATES the idea of paying somebody to do something he can do... Whatever works ladies!!!!!

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 3:02am
post #18 of 31

sorry for the double post !

Franluvsfrosting Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 4:36am
post #19 of 31

I'm hoping he'll get the hint. I'm planning to invite his buddy over for dinner (The one he does side jobs with!) He'll never live it down if I still have my bucket island!! lol

However, I do know how to use the chop saw if that fails...

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 8:56am
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franluvsfrosting

What!!??? icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif
On him or the bench? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 9:34am
post #21 of 31

OMG, I needed to start my morning with all these laughs. THANKS

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 5:15pm
post #22 of 31

That is too funny, in french there is a saying the the shoe maker's children have holes in the shoes.

So I guess with my Computer issues (DH is always tinkering at home with our system, you know trying things out....

Well I guess a cabinet maker's wife would have the same problem.

Come to think of it, my uncle sells appliances and my aunt is often mentining how her are not working!!

Funny how this all works!!

Franluvsfrosting Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 10:40pm
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franluvsfrosting

What!!??? icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif
On him or the bench? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Ummm....I'm still deciding! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 9:28pm
post #24 of 31

that is very funny, how stable is it??

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 9:40pm
post #25 of 31

Golly... I thought I was the only one that had to put up with cabinets stacked in my kitchen, waiting to be put up... it's been several months now...and I have my new kitchen door up along the wall in my upstairs hallway...as well as the new bathroom door...power tools here I come..
I love the island...LOL... that made my day..LOL

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 9:43pm
post #26 of 31

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

This forum reminds me of my mother using her ironing board as extra counter space while canning - until she got a bigger table that was actually big enough to hold stuff.

honeybearcreek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeybearcreek Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 9:44pm
post #27 of 31

I have enough room in my kitchen, but I can relate. My hubby used to work for the US Postal Service from '93 till May this year. We never had stamps in the house!!!! He stepped foot into a post office five out of seven days a week and never had time to buy stamps. Argh! He now works for the FBI, and yes - we have stamps now.

Hugs,
Diana in VA

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 10:07pm
post #28 of 31

Tooooooooooo funny!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Been there done that . I wanted a wall out for years.......... welllllllllllllll the day I brought in the sledge hammer ............... you know the rest. LOL

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 10:38pm
post #29 of 31

I so wish that would work with my dh.... I wanted the carpet taken out of the kitchen and he pulled up the carpet and then decided that since he was doing that he would take out all of the paneling and put up drywall and then since he was doing that he would take down the old celing and put up new celing and since all that was being done he wanted to re-route the electric and lighting. Needless to say he only destroyed not fixed anything in the kitchen. We waited for my dad and uncle to help with the electric and hang the drywall. And I ended up finishing all of the drywall and laying the floor,by myself. I still haven't had the nerve to try to put up the crown moulding, he insisted on having.

Val

Wandao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandao Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 11:00pm
post #30 of 31

It's good to know your not alone. It appears the only way most of us can get our DH to do anything is by trying to do it ourself first! If you still need more room, take your husbands saw horses and a piece of plywood and make your self a bigger island!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%