Betty Crocker...is It Just Me?

Decorating By stephanie214 Updated 31 Aug 2007 , 8:03am by LiliS

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 11

I brought the Betty Crocker because it was on sale...I use the Pillsbury. Well, I baked all my cakes and went to torte and low and behold, the centers aren't soaked good...gummy icon_cry.gif

I did a 16, 12 and 8 round and they all came out the same way icon_rolleyes.gif This also happened with my sister's b/d cake that I did two weeks ago and it was BC mix also. The cakes were over done around the sides and when testing, they came out clean . They were baked yesterday so it can't be a settling issue or not cooling long enough. I used the Wesson Oil and didn't realize that it was 0 Trans Fat until I checked this morning and also checked the little bit of Crisco oil that I had left over from my sister's cake and it is 0 Trans fat also.

Question is, is it the mix or the oil? Please help me, I need these cakes for Saturday icon_cry.gif

Forgot to say that I used five nails on the 16, three for the 12 and two for the 8 rounds. I always bake on 325 and I let these cook an extra ten to fifteen minutes after testing for doneness

TIA thumbs_up.gif

10 replies
tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 11

i have found that happens to all the bc mixes that I use too so I would say it has something to do with the mix. I lowered my temp in the oven and baked longer and that seemed to help with not overbaking the outside. hope this helps

omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 11

It's definetly the mix, it's hapenned to me before. If I use a box cake it's "duncan hines moist deluxe butter recipe golden" and it works great for me all the time.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 11

I use Betty Crocker all the time and I've never noticed this problem. Like the above poster, I say lower your oven temp and try cooking longer. BTW, all vegetable oil is trans-fat free.....the trans fats are created during the liquid-to-solid hydrogenation process.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214

I brought the Betty Crocker because it was on sale...I use the Pillsbury. Well, I baked all my cakes and went to torte and low and behold, the centers aren't soaked good...gummy icon_cry.gif

I did a 16, 12 and 8 round and they all came out the same way icon_rolleyes.gif This also happened with my sister's b/d cake that I did two weeks ago and it was BC mix also. The cakes were over done around the sides and when testing, they came out clean . They were baked yesterday so it can't be a settling issue or not cooling long enough. I used the Wesson Oil and didn't realize that it was 0 Trans Fat until I checked this morning and also checked the little bit of Crisco oil that I had left over from my sister's cake and it is 0 Trans fat also.

Question is, is it the mix or the oil? Please help me, I need these cakes for Saturday icon_cry.gif

Forgot to say that I used five nails on the 16, three for the 12 and two for the 8 rounds. I always bake on 325 and I let these cook an extra ten to fifteen minutes after testing for doneness

TIA thumbs_up.gif

If I do use a mix it's always Betty Crocker and I never have an issue with the cake not being cooked. I would suggest two things. Check the temperature of the oven and invest in heating cores for the larger cakes.

countrykittie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrykittie Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 11

Betty Crocker mixes are the only ones I use (since I normally give away all my cakes so baking from scratch just isn't cost effective) and I've never had a problem with any of them. They always bake up well and are always done. I don't lower my oven temp either...it says 350 so I bake it at 350...

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 11

BC is the only brand I use and I too have had some trouble like that. I'll go ahead and put a flower nail in them (even small pans). This seems to help. I don't use anyother brands so I never new if it was the mix or my oven.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 3:29am
post #8 of 11

I've been a Betty Crocker baker for 25 years .... I haven't had that problem. I use baking strips, grease-only-no-flour the pans, 325 degrees, no heating cores or nails.

Do you toothpick-test the cakes before you take them out or do you bake-by-the-clock?

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 3:38am
post #9 of 11

I switched to BC after I noticed some taste weirdness and consistency problem with DH. I've not had any problems. But, I do doctor the recipe. I use milk instead of water, pudding, and an extra egg. I also use the flower nail and lower the temp to 325.

I was noticing this with the DH, so that's one of the reasons I stopped using it!

HTH -- S.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 3:42am
post #10 of 11

Have you checked your oven temp to see if it is accurate? Sounds like it could be off.

LiliS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LiliS Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 8:03am
post #11 of 11

I use BC mixes and I lower my temp and bake for a bit longer. I then sit the cake for a minute or two in the oven before taking it out. I've never had any problems with my cakes.

I also scratch bake so I tend to play around with everything anyway. I have noticed that since we moved into my mum's house, her oven is different to my other oven and I've had to make some big adjustments to my baking time etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%