Please Be Critical - My 1St Figure Modelling-Want To Improve

Decorating By emmascakes Updated 29 Oct 2006 , 7:31pm by kjgjam22

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 6:59am
post #1 of 24

I made a cake yesterday in which I included three figures that I made from modelling paste. I have never made people before and I'd really appreciate your honest criticisms - be brutal, I can take it and I want to improve and I don't think I can improve unless lovely people like you can be honest about the weaknesses!

The policeman is holding a whistle that he's blowing - that's not obvious from this angle!
LL

23 replies
Molliebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molliebird Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 7:06am
post #2 of 24

I'm going to be very brutally honest.

That is one terrific cake. Your figures are great! thumbs_up.gif

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 7:16am
post #3 of 24

Emma, I have been practicing my figures hard out for 4 months now and if I had produced your cake I would be OVER THE MOON! You details are great, your proportions are good and each individual character has its own personality!

Fabulous!
thumbs_up.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 7:35am
post #4 of 24

Is there anything you can't do Emma? This is really great and your figures are very original, and very good! I so want to move back to the UK and be your pupil!

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 7:45am
post #5 of 24

your cake is excellent, love the policeman. The best ever!
i wish you would upload a closer photo of a robber as well. thumbs_up.gif

booberfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
booberfrog Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 7:51am
post #6 of 24

I think your figures are amazing!!
The whole cake is great!
I honestly think they are perfect!

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 8:07am
post #7 of 24

I think they are great!!!! Well done.

denise4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise4 Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 12:17pm
post #8 of 24

They are really great Emma!!!! thumbs_up.gif "as all your work is just brill" icon_smile.gif

angie1118 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angie1118 Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 12:25pm
post #9 of 24

Emma
I know you were looking for a critique but sometimes its hard to find flaws with perfection. Your cake is beautiful and the figures are perfect. I just checked out your photos and everything you created is fantastic.
One day I hope to attempt something like you do.
Regards
Angie

morphis1208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morphis1208 Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 12:26pm
post #10 of 24

I think they look great. What an original idea for the cake to.

bonniesido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniesido Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 12:44pm
post #11 of 24

This cake looks like a work of art to me!

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 1:31pm
post #12 of 24

There's brutal honesty for you Emma....everyone loves your work! icon_lol.gif
Your characters are simply superb and this is one really fabulous cake. I so look forward to meeting you soon. thumbs_up.gif

Keep smiling!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 1:45pm
post #13 of 24

I love all your cakes and if I could hop across the pond, I would pay to take cake decorating from you.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 1:57pm
post #14 of 24

Wow! and she even has calves! Great cake, the figures are wonderful. How's that for brutal critizism! thumbs_up.gif

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 2:39pm
post #15 of 24

Are you kidding?!?! It's AWESOME!! thumbs_up.gif I'm too scared to even TRY to do that! Great job! icon_biggrin.gif

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 2:48pm
post #16 of 24

Emma!! Your cake is awesome!! You did a fabulous job on the figures. I would also love to see the cake from another angle to see the robber.
Your talent just keeps evolving. You are an amazing cake artist!!!!

Cindy

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 2:57pm
post #17 of 24

Agree with everyone...you have an amazing gift...and obviously a wonderful imagination to come up with that cake!!!...simply outstanding!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 5:01pm
post #18 of 24

Wow guys, I'm bowled over - thank you for your nice comments. I will try and get a photo of the robber so you can see him too. I found the sugar I worked with a bit too grainy and it didn't set as hard as I'd have liked so I will work on the recipe for that - I'm really trying to find the ideal modelling paste - it's like my personal quest for the Holy Grail! I found doing the hands really hard - I snipped the fingers and then tried to shape them with a scalpel. but they ended up looking a bit square...

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 5:04pm
post #19 of 24

Fantastic ....it really has a lot of character!

sillychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillychick Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 5:11pm
post #20 of 24

Wow! What a darling cake! My only question is, what is the occasion?

I also have trouble with hands when modeling, anyone have any ideas to help with that?

Love it! You rock!!

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 5:20pm
post #21 of 24

how adorable...good job!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 5:22pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmascakes

Wow guys, I'm bowled over - thank you for your nice comments. I will try and get a photo of the robber so you can see him too. I found the sugar I worked with a bit too grainy and it didn't set as hard as I'd have liked so I will work on the recipe for that - I'm really trying to find the ideal modelling paste - it's like my personal quest for the Holy Grail! I found doing the hands really hard - I snipped the fingers and then tried to shape them with a scalpel. but they ended up looking a bit square...

Going to be brutally honest as well....Emma, your cake is brilliant!

Now, the only thing I'm miffed about is that you didn't take close up of all the vignettes on your cake!

lol

They have SOOOOOOOOO much character! Would love to see them up close and personal. Will save your pic, if you don't mind for some inspiration!

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 7:16pm
post #23 of 24

Your cake is fab and your models are superb. It does take a skill to get them right and you have it!
The hands are hard to do as I snipped mine with small scissors and ended up with chunky hands with different size square fingers - so I'd better keep practicing! icon_lol.gif

cheers Jan x

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 7:31pm
post #24 of 24

hi emma,,,i agree with everyone...the cake is great....my only problem is with the pregnant ladys hand....its the same width all the way down to her fingers....i dunno if you could make the wrist part a bit smaller for some defination...thats it though...everything else is great..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%