So Little Knowledge So Many Questions

Decorating By michelle1505 Updated 29 Oct 2006 , 2:12pm by michelle1505

michelle1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michelle1505 Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 3

I am not sue where this would go as I have several questions. I read a lot of information over the last few days so I am getting pretty confused and being oveseas it's pretty difficult to find all the ingredients you guys use (lucky people) so I buy everything I run into, that even sounds familiar.

Anyway I would really like to make a cake for my son his 5th b-day. I have a pretty good idea of what it should look like, it should be pink with Bloom on it from Winx Club. (I know, it's worrying but he's got a big sister who likes winx so...) Just a flat Bloom either made out of little pieces of marzipan or rolled fondant, like a puzzle or that frozen transfer I just read.

Today I ran into Marzipan and a box with Regalice White Ready to Roll Icing so I got that.

Here are the questions:
What is the difference between marzipan, rolled fondant and that icing I got today?

I am not keen on marzipan (why did I buy that, I don't know) would it be possible to use a combi of rolled fondant or that icing (for the cake) and Bloom from Marzipan or would that just taste horrible?

If all else failse I have enough marzipan to cover a whole cake and make decorations so I might end up doing that, but one more question would it look nice to make the frozen buttercream transfer on the marzipan and then preferably from royal icing.

Thanks for all your help and any feedback is welcome.

Michelle

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 9:01pm
post #2 of 3

Marzipan is a form of almond paste, so it tastes like almonds. It will take coloring well, so you could use it for your petals.

Regalice is just a brand of rolled fondant. You could combine them in several ways- fondant on the cake, marzipan for the flower, or the reverse, or even blend the two together. However, taste both the items separately, then together and use whichever tastes best.

These two should make a fine cake.

michelle1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michelle1505 Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

Marzipan is a form of almond paste, so it tastes like almonds. It will take coloring well, so you could use it for your petals.

Regalice is just a brand of rolled fondant. You could combine them in several ways- fondant on the cake, marzipan for the flower, or the reverse, or even blend the two together. However, taste both the items separately, then together and use whichever tastes best.

These two should make a fine cake.

Thank you so much, now that you explained what Regalice is I will give it a try and when the cake does work out I will sure take a picture of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%