Honest Opinions And Constructive Cristicsim Desired Please

Decorating By tobycat Updated 29 Aug 2007 , 3:07am by tobycat

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 18

This is my first time painting like this on fondant or on anything. This was my 2nd try in 2 days of a flower design that a friend of mind wants on her cake. The flowers are mimicking the pattern that is painted on her dress. I know they aren't spectacular, but I think they look a little better in real life. My camera is useless sometimes -- or I'm a useless photographer! There just don't seem to be as many specks everywhere in real life and the shading has more depth.

Anyway, I used white petal dust mixed with vodka and pearl dust to highlight. Dry petal dust to shade.

What do you think? Anyone have any suggestions for color combinations or painting tips?

The flowers on the dress (silk/satin) are a brighter silk/satin color with shades of light feather grey almost.

Thanks for any input -- I really appreciate the opinions and advice!

S.
LL

17 replies
kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 18

Sonoma...........your work is beautiful.........I think it looks great!!! thumbs_up.gif

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 18

I think it looks great too! Did you do royal icing then the pearl?

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 18

I think it looks great! I haven't had the nerve to try anything like that yet.

cookinmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookinmamma Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 18

Your flowers are very pretty. I couldn't do something like that on the 10th try let alone the 2nd. GREAT JOB!! Don't be so hard on yourself...I know, better said than done.

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 18

I am no professional but my opinion is - it looks great!

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 18

I think they look great! It's always hard to capture things like that in a photo, but if they look this good in a picture, then they must be gorgeous in person! I can't wait to see the finished cake!

harrisonsmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harrisonsmama Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 18

This reminds me a lot of my wedding cake. I don't have a scanned picture, but it was in Grace Ormonds Wedding Style magazine and was mad e by Sweet Lady Jane in LA. I think you did a great job. Is the cake going to be white on white?

By the way sonoma9 I was Miss Sonoma County 2000. Have you lived there all your life?

DiannaSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiannaSue Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 9:01pm
post #9 of 18

Very elegant looking, did a really good job.

Nalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nalis Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 9:03pm
post #10 of 18

I totally understand the issues with photographing cakes! But your roses look so beautiful. I can't wait to see what the whole cake looks like! icon_eek.gif

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 9:11pm
post #11 of 18

I think it's very pretty! Honestly!

omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 9:12pm
post #12 of 18

WOW!! YOUR ROSES ARE BEAUTIFUL!!

doc_farms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doc_farms Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 9:16pm
post #13 of 18

I wish I had the right answer from experiance...but sadly you are out of luck with me. I think the flowers look great! I would try to slowly add more and more grey shimmer or petal, whichever is morea appropriate and dry brush it onto some white fondant until you get the exact shade you are looking for.

Good luck!

tobycat Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 9:19pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatAndHappy

I think it looks great too! Did you do royal icing then the pearl?

I actually didn't use any royal on these. It's mmf on a dummy cake. I just used white petal dust mixed with vodka for the outlining. I made it so that it was the consistency of white out. Actually, it really reminded me of using white out! Then, I used the pearl dust to highlight some areas and to help shade a bit. I then used dry white petal dust to shade and give more depth.

Thank you so much for all the compliments. It's a real confidence booster! THe wedding is in April, but I wanted to get a jump on this because I've never done it. I hope that she goes with this idea -- she may decide to have them in red or she may decide on something else altogether! In any case, I'm just really glad to have had to motivation to try this. It's exciting and fun!

S.

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 9:20pm
post #15 of 18

i haven't tried to do anything like this yet but i have to say you really did a nice job.....i think it looks beautiful!!!!!!

lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 9:23pm
post #16 of 18

Beautiful and very elegant. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

mommak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommak Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 9:24pm
post #17 of 18

Ohhhh such a great job!!!! BEAUTIFUL!

tobycat Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 3:07am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisonsmama

This reminds me a lot of my wedding cake. I don't have a scanned picture, but it was in Grace Ormonds Wedding Style magazine and was mad e by Sweet Lady Jane in LA. I think you did a great job. Is the cake going to be white on white?

By the way sonoma9 I was Miss Sonoma County 2000. Have you lived there all your life?

Hello fellow Sonomaite -- and congratulations on your victory! How fun that must have been! I grew up in Corte Madera, and moved to Sonoma County about 10 years ago now. I love it up here. I can actually feel the dividing line between Marin and Sonoma, and to be brutally honest, I'd take the people up here any day!

The cake will be with mmf, which has a slight off tinge to it, but then as of now, it's white flowers. I'm going to do another practice with more grey and white. I love this art because there's always so much growth that comes with it!

Are you still in Sonoma?

S.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%