Burgundy Color Flowers & Ambulance Cake (Groom)

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 26 Oct 2006 , 1:36pm by MissRobin

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:37am
post #1 of 7

I need to know how to get a good color burgundy, that wont run for my flowers on MY wedding cake. Ive heard on wilton that burgundy is hard to make...color bleeds into the other...can turn dark...basically they scared me icon_eek.gif from it. But I'd really like to use it, thats my wedding color.
Next we're medics, met at work and we want the grooms cake to be an ambulance, a nice one...how can I bake one: would I get a sheet cake, and on top bake a bread pan? I know for the wheels I can use small cup cakes or even cookies...any ideas? icon_rolleyes.gif

6 replies
allissweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allissweets Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:41am
post #2 of 7

Not sure about the burgundy color - but for the ambulance, perhaps you can take a look at the instructions for the truck cake in Wilton's Celebrate with Fondant book - the truck is on p. 58, and adapt from that. But I'd recommend making the fondant wheels a LOT thicker than they say! (Or use cookies?) There are also great instructions for a fire truck cake that I've seen on here in the past.

lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lou Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:44am
post #3 of 7

I just read in a book that to get burgundy you need to mix red colouring with some brown colouring. The book didn't give amounts.

cakesbycombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycombs Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:23am
post #4 of 7

i did a burgandy cake and it was very tough to get all tiers to match and i used a TON of coloring. what about stripping your bag and having burgandy on the edges of your roses? or painting the roses with burg color and vodka?

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:34am
post #5 of 7

i JUST made some flowers with americolor burgundy and i was pretty pleased with the results. maybe do royal icing flowers so the colors don't bleed? also, i think royal icing takes the color better. if you want to do a 3d ambulance, look under "school bus" pictures and go from there. maybe cut a 10" in half, stack on top of each other, make it a little shorter than 10" then use that to make the front.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 12:31pm
post #6 of 7

i have some burgundy mmf roses in my pics, i used wiltons burgundy. i have since dusted them in burgundy luster dust (have'nt posted that pic) and they look fab...

kylie

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 1:36pm
post #7 of 7

I am working on a cake that I made a wine bottle out of sugarpaste. I painted the top with burgundy luster dust and the color is beautiful! So you could try the luster dust! Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%