Decorating By impressivecontr Updated 22 Feb 2005 , 2:14am by suzyqqq27

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 19 Feb 2005 , 1:20am
post #31 of 41

Gotta try it!!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 20 Feb 2005 , 4:33am
post #32 of 41

When I made my last cake for the Wilton course it wasn't as smooth as the teacher thought it should be. She asked me to bring the cake to the sink so I did. Got to the sink, handed to her & she started dripping warm water on the cake! I was shocked & thought the cake was going to be ruined for sure! Guess what? She got that cake so smooth I couldn't believe it. She said it's a method she calls bathing. She gave my cake a bath!!!!!! icon_lol.gif ohhh how clean it was! I haven't bathed my cakes yet but I have used the hot water spatual tip that calidawn gave. It works pretty good! So has anyone else bathed their cakes before?

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 20 Feb 2005 , 6:58am
post #33 of 41

I leave the water on my spatula, so I guess it's about the same thing. I know most people tell you to wipe it off, but I don't. Sometimes I shake it, but usually no.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 20 Feb 2005 , 7:30pm
post #34 of 41

i agree with cali4dawn, the water HAS to be very, very hot. i boil enough water to fill a pitcher...like one you would use for kool-ade, or lemonade.
i tried a glass-big mistake!! i went to pick it up and boy did i regret it! icon_redface.gif one thing that you have to do when smoothing a cake is, do it lightly, and quickly. the more you play around with it, the more trouble you'll have. this is something that you have to practice!!! no, it's not a gift from above, we are all gifted at cake-decorating... but it's a gift that we get better at the more we use it!! icon_lol.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 20 Feb 2005 , 11:52pm
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

one thing that you have to do when smoothing a cake is, do it lightly, and quickly. the more you play around with it, the more trouble you'll have.

Yep! I smooth-ice mine in less than 5 minutes for a standard size cake. Then I let it crust while I'm cleaning up my icing utensils (clean as you go!!). Next I decorate. All done!! Oh yeah... clean again..... icon_redface.gificon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

smiling1809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smiling1809 Posted 21 Feb 2005 , 4:02am
post #36 of 41

Do you dry the spatula off first, or use it wet?

smiling1809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smiling1809 Posted 21 Feb 2005 , 4:03am
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4dawn

jscakes- I use either a stock pot and keep it on the stove simmering for a quick cake. If I have a lot of cakes or a large cake, I have an old peculator type coffee pot (go to the thrift store) and use it. I keep it on a different counter than I am working on. Yes, it gives me a few extra steps, but if I were to knock it over, no worries. I pull the spatula from the water, give it one good shake to remove excess water and smooth the cake.

Okay, never mind, just got my answer!!! Thanks for sharing.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 21 Feb 2005 , 10:28am
post #38 of 41

wow! i didn't know there was a name for it. bathing huh, well, i guess that's what i've been doing. my mother-in-law taught me that trick, but i never knew it had a name to it. icon_confused.gif as long as the water is very hot and you don't wipe off your spatula completely, and you do it quickly, you'll get a smooth finish all the time. icon_lol.gif

suzyqqq27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzyqqq27 Posted 21 Feb 2005 , 9:00pm
post #39 of 41

Hi,

I live and die by this recipe. No matter what mistakes I make, creases I leave, or holes I've created by a dropped piping bag; I can buff them out with Viva. The icing tastes a bit sweet and doesn't have any butter in it (so I guess it's technically decorator's icing and not buttercream) but it smooths like you wouldn't believe. I swear!

Decorator's Buttercream

1 Cup Water
2 tsp Other Flavour (like almond - this is optional)
2 tsp Clear Vanilla
2 tsp Clear Butter
(Note***The 1 cup of water includes the flavourings. Add the flavourings to the measuring cup then fill with water to the 1 cup line.)
3 Cups High-Ratio Shortening (you can use Crisco but it doesn't taste as nice...smooths just as well though)
1/4 tsp Salt
2 Tablespoons Meringue Powder
2 Tablespoons Corn Starch
2 Tablespoons Flour
4 Lbs Powdered Sugar

Add wet ingredients to mixing bowl and then dry ingredients; only adding half of the powdered sugar. Mix Well. Add remaining powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Be sure to keep icing covered to avoid crusting. After icing the cake, let a crust form (wait about 5-10 minutes) then you can smooth with the paper towel (must be Viva-no print). If the icing sticks to the paper towel, let it sit until it forms a crust on top before smoothing.

This is a HUGE recipe (nearly fills a 5 qt Kitchen Aid mixing bowl)...good for a wedding cake. I've cut it in half and it will cover a full sheet cake.

I know you may be thinking that it's just another recipe but try it...you won't be sorry,
Suzanne M.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 21 Feb 2005 , 11:33pm
post #40 of 41

Thanks Suzy~ Your recipe sounds like the faux fondant recipe but more ingredients. I'll have to try it~

suzyqqq27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzyqqq27 Posted 22 Feb 2005 , 2:14am
post #41 of 41

It actually isn't MY recipe...just the one I use regularly. I originally got it from a lady at the Wilton site and have been using it ever since. Unfortunately, I can't remember her name.

Didn't want to steal her credit...it was posted in a public forum though,
Suzanne M.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%