Learning To Say No!

Decorating By shebellas Updated 24 Aug 2007 , 3:37pm by Chef_Stef

shebellas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebellas Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 12:52am
post #1 of 37

Why can't I do this? I agreed to bake a 12x18 cake for my office for a golf outing this Friday (I've known about it for about 3 weeks)...then my best friend asks me to bake a birthday cake for this saturday for her twin girls turning 4 (I have known about this one for about a month but not an exact date until 2 weeks ago)...then the same friend calls me TODAY and asks if I could also make a small cake for her sister's birthday on Saturday so that "she has her own celebration"...ok the girl is 25! I'd think she could just share in her neices celebration...anyhow...now I've said yes to this so tonight i'm baking the following:

1 - 12x18x2 Double Chocolate Fudge cake - Golf Theme - Tons of handmade/sculpted details

4 - 9x2 Rounds - Confetti Cake - My Little Pony Cake

2 - Oval 2inch deep pans (the ones that came in the Wilton Course 2 kit) of Double Chocolate Fudge...for the 25 year old.

I already feel so stressed because I am doing huge detail on the other cakes before I said yes to the oval cakes...I don't know when I'm going to get to breathe! I also have to figure out how to decorate this oval cake...she's not a girlygirl she's more a goth chick so I've got to go hit the galleries and see what inspiration I can get from my fellow CC'rs
I'm going to have such a high electric bill...lol! icon_eek.gif

36 replies
cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 12:58am
post #2 of 37

Seems to me to be an organizational problem. All of your cakes that are due, you knew about in advance. So, in the meantime you could have baked and frozen.

I always tried to make my cakes a couple days before they were due and always would get the stress that you are feeling now. Now I bake and freeze ahead of time.

So maybe you can try baking ahead of time for your future orders.

I always thought they had to be freshly made, but once thawed and allowed to settle my cakes are easier to torte, ice and decorate.

lilmisscantbewrg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmisscantbewrg Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:01am
post #3 of 37

Sounds like you're going to be busy. I understand not being able to tell ppl no.
Hope it all goes well for you.

shebellas Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:04am
post #4 of 37

I would love to bake and freeze ahead of time however due to the ultra small fridge/freezer I have I wouldn't be able to have anything else in there...I live in an apartment so its pretty tight in there. I already have to clear out 2 of my 3 shelves in my fridge just to keep these cakes in there until tomorrow...

Erika513x2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika513x2 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:07am
post #5 of 37

this is why one night when you are bored you have to sit down and make tons of royal icing flowers. B/c for example the 3rd cake for the sister all you would have to do is throw on a border and arrange tons of the premade RI flowers and in 30mins you'd be done and for the my little pony cake, you could do a fbct then arrange small apple blossoms or something on the borders and make grass around the cake and throw on more flower . then you wouldn't be so stressed, but maybe you can do this for the future.......... icon_wink.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:20am
post #6 of 37

If it makes you feel any better, this weekend, because I couldn't say no either, I'm doing:

Saturday:

two separate weddings, BOTH for 300 ppl each. So:

1- 6, 8, 10" round bride cake and THREE- 12 x 18 sheet cakes decorated to match.

1- 6, 9, 12" bride cake and TWO- 12 x 18 sheet cakes decorated to match.

ON SUNDAY:

Another wedding for 100, covered in royal icing scroll work that has to be painted with luster dust as well.

FUN FUN

I shoulda said no at the first wedding!! I've been baking from the time I wake up til the time I go to bed for like the past TWO WEEKs. Everything's in the freezers, but it's taken a lot of space to do it and I don't have room for the finished cakes all in the fridge, so I'm going to have to turn the freezer way down and keep a couple of sheets in there for the one wedding that is outdoors (cakes are IMBC so have to be in fridge..)

I'm so ready to be done with cakes that I could just about cry, and my shoulders are so tight that I'm going to clean up from all day today and go sit in the hot tub with a Mike's and watch the sun set.

...Hey, It's summer out! And ...I think I even have a rose garden out there somewhere...who knew?

icon_cry.gif

On a brigher note (and before I start the two weddings for NEXT WEEKEND), Monday I'm taking my kids to school and then I'm taking myself out on a date for the whole day--I'm going spend as much as I can at the mall in three hours, then go to the gym and swim, then pick them up. That should help. icon_smile.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:44am
post #7 of 37

No one said cake decorators were sane. thumbs_up.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 2:59am
post #8 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

No one said cake decorators were sane. thumbs_up.gif

Exactly!! thumbs_up.gif And when I am asked when do I ever get any sleep I always reply "between 3 and 5 am while the layers are cooling." icon_confused.gif

crablegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crablegs Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 3:13am
post #9 of 37

I can also relate.
2 - 10 for a restaurant
My first wedding cake
skateboard cake
transformer cake.

On top of that my 2 year old just had surgery yesterday. Good luck to us all.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 3:14am
post #10 of 37

Ahhh saying "No" such a lovely word.

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 3:25am
post #11 of 37

Its hard - MIL just asked me to bake 12 mini cakes instead of a 6" for a friend yesterday. She says to me - this will make it easier for you! AHH, NO! Those take WAY more time, but I finally agreed because I have been wanting to try a couple of ideas out! I can't say no either, good thing I never get more than one or two cakes a week anyways!

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 3:27am
post #12 of 37

Let me just say, "STEPS, STEPS, STEPS". When I am overwhelmed with a huge week of cakes, I do things in steps in advance. 1, bake the cakes and freeze. 2, make the frosting, 3, make any decorations, flowers, fbcts, etc. Then, it is so easy and quick to simply put the cake together. Organization is KEY!

Hope this helps,
Julie

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 3:42am
post #13 of 37

I'm right there with ya!!

Wedding cake for Sunday (60 ppl)
Hockey Team Pool Party cake for Saturday (50 ppl)
Pool Party for AFTER the hockey party (50 ppl)
Birthday cake for Monday (30 ppl)

and the ONLY ONE that I know what it will look like is the wedding cake! (also the only one I will be paid for icon_rolleyes.gif)

But at least I have free reign on the rest of them as far as size/design/etc...

And of course I tried to make the butterflies for the wedding cake yesterday from Sugar Veil and they did not work! I think I will be cutting them from fondant tomorrow.

Chef_Stef Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:56am
post #14 of 37

Here's a fun extra tidbit for my weekend...

DH comes home tonight and says that "oh by the way, our nephew (read: Most Annoying Boy Ever) is going to work for me and then stay over Friday night with us. And then....(tahdah)....his parents and the OTHER THREE SIBLINGS are all coming Saturday to stay over Saturday night and have a big Family Breakfast with us on Sunday morning.

icon_eek.gif

...Lest we forget: I have THREE GIANT WEDDINGS THIS WEEKEND.

Well. Well, well well.

...I think that's it. I'm...actually...speechless. icon_razz.gif

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 5:18am
post #15 of 37

*sighs*

How can I get orders like the rest of you seem to be able to???? I understand. I've gotten rave reviews for the cakes that I have done so far...even some that said they would recommend me to others. But I haven't had a single order since April now!!

I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm not as good at it as I should be. Maybe I secretly really suck and no has the courage to tell me so......?

I don't know.....feeling alittle sorry for myself I guess....but I still wish I was as busy as the rest of you!!!

Good luck to you all!

shebellas Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 5:19am
post #16 of 37

homecook - that would be deserving of death! I would lose my mind!

Chef_Stef Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 2:37am
post #17 of 37

No! Don't wish for more! I have no life right now. My house is a mess. My yard is a mess. All I do is wake up and turn on the oven. Then I turn it off in time to sit down and eat dinner with my family, then sit on the couch a bit with DH, then go to bed. You can imagine all the things in between that aren't getting done. We all have clean clothes...is able all I can lay claim to right now.

So I repeat. Do NOT wish for this. You don't want it.

The only reason I'm "out there" this much is because I (fool that I am) spent about $4700.00 on a giant 10 x 20' booth at the bridal festival in January (which I should modestly say Kicked Butt!), but in return I got more business than I could handle. And without being able to say no; well, that brings us up to where I am today.

icon_razz.gif

I'm just trying to survive the next two weeks, then I'm free. And I'm not doing another booth this winter.

ErinK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ErinK Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 2:44am
post #18 of 37

wow you are all amazing. I get freaked out that I have my class cake (I'm in the course 1 Wilton) AND I do a practice cake each week... so TWO small cakes a week freaks me out.

note to self, baking cakes for hire is NOT stress free easy money.

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:28am
post #19 of 37

It is so hard to say no when someone is pleading with you buit someetimes we have to do it. I have learned to say no but only because last June I spent 3 days in the hospital for exhaustion. I had been awake for about 3 days working on cakes only taking 3.5 hour naps each day. On the 3rd day I left home to deliver a cake and passed out at a traffic light. When I came to I was being placed into an ambulance. They were asking me a lot of questions about my health but my concern was "can I call my sister to come and finish my delivery??" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif The driver thought I was nuts. I told him I was totally sane icon_rolleyes.gif just a devoted cake decorator. At the hospital they wouldnt let me get out of the bed for anything except to use the restroom icon_cry.gif . I was like a hummingbird in a shoebox. So I have learned to say no. I just dont do it all the time. icon_lol.gif

Momkiksbutt, When my orders were slow coming in I had a promo. Here in Michigan, and only in Michigan I think, we have something called Sweetest Day. Its the 2nd or 3rd Saturday in October and can be best described as an autumnal Valentins Day. Anyway, a month before Sweetest Day I passed out simply decorated cookies with my buisness labels on the bags to the teachers at my neighborhood schools. I gave them to friends to take to work, family too. Ispent about $300. When Sweetest Day came around I had so many orders for cakes and cookies that I didnt even miss the $300 investment. That was probably 5 years ago and business is still good. thumbs_up.gif

blmiller84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blmiller84 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:49am
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nanette

Here in Michigan, and only in Michigan I think, we have something called Sweetest Day. Its the 2nd or 3rd Saturday in October and can be best described as an autumnal Valentins Day.

We have that in Ohio, too. I think it's becoming a popular "holiday" and spreading...

shebellas Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:10am
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nanette

It is so hard to say no when someone is pleading with you buit someetimes we have to do it. I have learned to say no but only because last June I spent 3 days in the hospital for exhaustion. I had been awake for about 3 days working on cakes only taking 3.5 hour naps each day. On the 3rd day I left home to deliver a cake and passed out at a traffic light. When I came to I was being placed into an ambulance. They were asking me a lot of questions about my health but my concern was "can I call my sister to come and finish my delivery??" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif The driver thought I was nuts. I told him I was totally sane icon_rolleyes.gif just a devoted cake decorator. At the hospital they wouldnt let me get out of the bed for anything except to use the restroom icon_cry.gif . I was like a hummingbird in a shoebox. So I have learned to say no. I just dont do it all the time. icon_lol.gif

Momkiksbutt, When my orders were slow coming in I had a promo. Here in Michigan, and only in Michigan I think, we have something called Sweetest Day. Its the 2nd or 3rd Saturday in October and can be best described as an autumnal Valentins Day. Anyway, a month before Sweetest Day I passed out simply decorated cookies with my buisness labels on the bags to the teachers at my neighborhood schools. I gave them to friends to take to work, family too. Ispent about $300. When Sweetest Day came around I had so many orders for cakes and cookies that I didnt even miss the $300 investment. That was probably 5 years ago and business is still good. thumbs_up.gif

Where in Michigan are you? I'm in MI also!

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:12am
post #22 of 37

We have Sweetest Day also. I saw it on a calendar somewhere but no one seems to celebrate it here...well, that I know of. I don't get out much 'cause I'm trapped in the kitchen. I used to have a problem saying no...until today. People just call and automatically think I'm available to do a cake just for them. Oh my bad, let me explain...they call and the conversation goes...this is what I want and like this and this color but never once...are you available. And I have the sneaking suspicion that they assume I'm a cheaper alternative to the local grocer... they give me all of the dream demands with no obvious concern of how much I charge. LOL LOL LOL...but today....I made it up in mind, I'm not changing my plans I've had for months because this person decided they would go on my site and not READ (I have a calendar stating I will be out of town). She seemed to have an attitude from the get-go and REALLY after I told her I would be out of town on the day she wanted her cake. (the whole weekend) Baby shower cake for next weekend. With my schedule...that's last minute.
I have to admit though, I did tell her she could get it earlier that week (not thinking she would want to hold her cake that long 'cause she sounded snobbish)...but I think she considered it. HEYYYYYYY, I'm a recovering "YES" girl...I got to get it out of my system 1st, I just started YICA (Yes I Can Anonymous). Oh BTW, I have 4 this weekend and 1 is a fit 'em in cake. But after today...NO MORE! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:27am
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by homecook

go sit in the hot tub with a Mike's and watch the sun set.

...Hey, It's summer out! And ...I think I even have a rose garden out there somewhere...who knew?

It's so hot down here, I'd be cooking myself to jump in the hot tub and dare to watch the sun set. Oh it's summer alright...blistering, boiling heat even at night. I just look at the hot tub and think...yep, it is hot! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
My heart is with you....hope you get some rest soon. icon_smile.gif

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:30am
post #24 of 37

lol this thread reminds me of a call I got at 1 this afternoon. A dear friend of mine informed me that she was going for a quick weekend visit home (Quebec City) and was wondering if I could make her 2..yes I said 2 naughty cakes by 8pm... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
I learned to say no but I must admit it was hard...you never realize how hard it is to talk when in the midst of hystercial laughter until you try it icon_wink.gif

sweetstuff007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetstuff007 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:44am
post #25 of 37

Hey, someone mentioned doing a bridal show. How do you get to do that? Do you have to have a license. I am new to the mesage board. I can't say no to people either. I have 3 small children at home and I feel the same way. I am lucky if we all have clean clothes to wear!! Mostly thanks to my dear sweet hubby.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:58am
post #26 of 37

you can call your local hotels that have convention centers, expo centers or armories.
However bear in mind that there is usually a fee assoicated with these expos and it is strongly suggested that you be licensed. You do not want to openly advertise your serivces in front of your comeptitors without being legal, they might turn you in.

chefcindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefcindy Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:17am
post #27 of 37

I don't even know how many cakes I offered to do this month, one little mermaid, a seatbelt purse (which, btw, I don't have one clue what cake to bake for that), a daisy cake, and I think one more, but I would have to check my calendar. OH yeah, these are just because I want to make them, not getting paid, and I just offered to do them!! Silly, silly me!

Chef_Stef Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 6:33am
post #28 of 37

I do actually say no, quite frequently, sometimes almost daily lately it seems. I've turned down three weddings and a free bday for my nephew in the last week.

But I have brides still calling me for September weddings (now?? icon_eek.gif I'm like icon_eek.gif you mean THIS YEAR?? as in, next MONTH??) icon_confused.gif I've given up trying to interrupt them when they first call. So I just patiently wait for them to say, "Hi, I need to order a wedding cake. We want a three tiered cake. I like square cakes, I think. My colors are lime green and flourescent mango. Oh, and I'm having roses on it, and those little white things. How much will that cost?"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I wait till she pauses for a breath and say, "What's your date?" And they say "September 22." And I say, "Right now I'm booked through October. You might try XYZ Bakery...but thanks for calling!" icon_smile.gif

It was me who did a bridal fest. It was a total blast, tons of work, very expensive, but it got me busy...er...Check your local bridal shops or convention center or caterers; they might know of one near you.

Leigh01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leigh01 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:04am
post #29 of 37

I also struggle to say no. Have double booked 2 weddings this weekend (unintentionally!) which are both at the same time and at opposite ends of the planet. Luckiy only one cake needs to be asssembled on site.

Last month I had 6 orders all for the same day (including a huge 4 tier wedding cake that had to be assembled on site) - did not have more than 2 hours sleep for 5 days running and when those where all done and delivered I had cake due for the next day! Whew. And I have a morning job on top of it all.

I bought 1 page of advertising on a wedding site and have at least 5 - 6 enquiries a day- and I am one of 3 listed for the area. Have had to brig a freidn to take overflow order. But am still finding I can't slow down.

Took an order for a 2 tier chocolate wedding cake with choc shavings on Tuesday - and the wedding is next sunday!!!!!!!

Must be sleep deprivation...........

DiannaSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiannaSue Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:50am
post #30 of 37

I need to join your Y.I.C.A. I can NOT say NO!!!!!! Well I state off saying NO but by the middle of the conversation I hear myself saying O.K. Then I kick myself for not sticking to my guns. Did 4 cakes last week, just finished 5 this week. I am tired. It's HOT & HUMID here not good for decorating cakes. I have to learn to stick with my NO thank you I can't do your cake I am over booked already, speech. One of these days MAYBE. But I won't hold my breath.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%