Learning To Say No!

Decorating By shebellas Updated 24 Aug 2007 , 3:37pm by Chef_Stef

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:14pm
post #31 of 37

Shebella---I live in Detroit.

Someone mentioned that they were still getting calls for Sept. weddings.
I just took a call from a woman who is getting married Sept.9th and only wants 100 "individual mini wedding cakes " because she figures that would be easier to do than a big wedding cake. Cheaper too icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif She was talking non-stop and really fast, as if that would keep me from saying no. So I let her finish and then I politely told her I was not available and explained that I had taken my final Sept. 9th order back in February. Before I ended our conversation I did tell her that the term "mini cake" only refers to the size of the cake itself, the cost however is maxi. icon_biggrin.gif

shebellas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebellas Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:18pm
post #32 of 37

It's amazing that people don't get "mini" cakes are just as much work or more then a full size cake...

I am 99% certain I am making a cake for a co-worker who decided yesterday (Friday) that they are getting married on Wednesday. They have been planning for awhile but it wasn't going to be until March...but they need to be married by Sept 4th because of an insurance issue...luckly the cake will probably only be for 25-30 people...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:40pm
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by homecook

DH comes home tonight and says ......his parents and the OTHER THREE SIBLINGS are all coming Saturday to stay over Saturday night and have a big Family Breakfast with us on Sunday morning.

That's when you look at him with total adoration in your eyes and tell him how WONDERFUL it will be because by the time you're done with all of your cakes, you'll be SO ready for HIM to make a big Family Breakfast for all of US on Sunday morning!

And when he stops and stammers about it, you cross your arms and get your "mom" face on and ask him, "You didn't REALLY think that *I* would be doing all of that work for YOUR family, on a weekend that I had all of these bookings, did you? You weren't really that inconsiderate and stupid, were you?" icon_twisted.gif

Then, since it's usually pretty obvious that he had no plans for HIM to be the one to cook breakfast (and clean up ... don't forget to cover clean up), ask him, "So ..... which restaurant are we going to for breakfast?"

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:41pm
post #34 of 37

Shebellas, have you ever thought of getting one of those small chest- type freezers? My sister lives in a very small Southfield apartment,only 1 bedroom, but I think she could probably fit one of those in a corner somewhere. You couldnt load it up with a lot of cakes but you could easily put in two or three.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:14pm
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Then, since it's usually pretty obvious that he had no plans for HIM to be the one to cook breakfast (and clean up ... don't forget to cover clean up), ask him, "So ..... which restaurant are we going to for breakfast?"

lol, you always have the best advice icon_lol.gif

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:21pm
post #36 of 37

I have a tough time saying no also. I don't know about not getting paid like that though...I might find it alot easier to say no if I weren't getting paid for my work.

I don't know about anyone else but I find that it's almost easier to do more than one cake at a time. I mean, the time per cake is cut down when you're doing several. You can do it more like an assembly line and make big batches of frosting,etc...What I spend more time on than anything is the actual baking and frosting-making. Once I get a cake assembled, the decorating seems easy!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:37pm
post #37 of 37

indydebi--you do have good advice...! icon_smile.gif

Actually DH has already said (since I posted last) that (yes) he and bro are doing breakfast for the 10 of us. Especially since I may still be handpainting royal icing piping with canary yellow luster dust and cackling to myself in the corner...lol And clean up. No one ever remembers that breakfast for 10 means pans for the eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, and all that toast sweat/crumbs and bacon grease spatters that get left all over the counter! Not to mention the 10 dirty plates.

Everything is going pretty smoothly so far today, thanks completely to the fact that I've been knocking myself out for two weeks to get to this point, so I'm thinking that yes, I'll be able to accomplish this task. I haven't quite figured out the drive time tomorrow yet, because both giant weddings are supposed to start at 4 and 5 p.m., and I have a 45-minute drive one way to the first and a 30-minute to the second...Fortunately they're all assembled; all I have to do is unbox them and put on flowers.

Has anyone else ever noted that, with this job, it's not like you can "do it later" or maybe not *quite* finish, or finish late...??? It's like, they ARE getting married today, and you ARE going to deliver this cake, finished, to that reception. Period. You WILL finish this, no matter how many hours it takes, no matter how tired you are, no matter what house guests you have who you'd love to see, no matter the weather, no matter what goes wrong along the way. No going to bed and saying "forget it; I can't get it done," or calling them to say, "hey, can I bring this another day?" ...just a thought...

Oh, and I don't have a babysitter yet either...*mad scientist laughter in background* (neighbor who always takes them is out of town, DH could take them but it's to a log yard...one SIL is recovering from surgery, teen babysitter is at camp, and other SIL expects to be paid icon_confused.gif )

icon_surprised.gif

Monday I am SO going shopping!! I told DH I'm going to spend as much as I can in 3 hours at the mall, and, bless him, he asked if I wanted HIS American Express card, too. icon_lol.gif He really is the best...!

Have a great day all--I'm *pretty sure* I won't have time to check back til, oh...Tuesday! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%