How Do I Get This Affect.....?

Decorating By captrick Updated 24 Aug 2007 , 11:49pm by lizziesmom430

captrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
captrick Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 13

I've been asked about doing this particular wedding cake, and I'm not sure how the cake in the pic was given the "wrapping paper" look. Any ideas????? Is it dust???
LL

12 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 13

It's dust applied thru a stencil with an airbrush. HTH

Hookste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hookste Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 13

I haven't done it but I have also seen someone do something similar by painting royal icing on by using a stencil. ??? Good luck!

smw06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smw06 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 13

Sorry...I have no idea but the cake is beautiful.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 8:50am
post #5 of 13

Definately a stencil of sorts. Maybe even a piece of lace overlay for the pattern.

Amy

captrick Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 11:07am
post #6 of 13

Thanks for the ideas, everyone! I'm also pretty sure it's applied with a stencil. I was thinking possibly done with luster dust. Luckily, the bride has said she doesn't care about the scroll work, she just wants the basic design and plain white butter cream would be fine with her. icon_smile.gif

jjkcarrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkcarrier Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 11:23am
post #7 of 13

This is a stencil. I have one that I bought from Ceative Cutters. Once you've finished rolling out your fondant you place it over it and brush luster dust onto the fondant. It does give a gorgeous effect. They sell lots of stencils like this one.

captrick Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 12:48pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkcarrier

This is a stencil. I have one that I bought from Ceative Cutters. Once you've finished rolling out your fondant you place it over it and brush onto the fondant. It does give a gorgeous effect. They sell lots of stencils like this one.

Thanks! And just a tiny little question more... icon_wink.gif Can you do this on BC?

jjkcarrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkcarrier Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 1:20pm
post #9 of 13

I'm not quite sure but I don't think that it would have the same effect. This is a subtle, delicate look. Sorry I don't think I could give you a definite answer, maybe someone else would know for sure. Good luck!

ceme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceme Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 13

I'm sure that you can do this on crusting buttercream. And insted of buying the expensive stencils try using doilies or a lace fabric. They are really cheap and just use a paint brush to apply. I also do not see why you could not drape lace fabric over the cake and secure the sides down firmly with clips then just spray the whole thing with luster spray in the pearl color. Seems like that would save tons of time.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 10:05pm
post #11 of 13

Problem with lustre spray is everybody I have checked is out of the pearl icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

captrick Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 11:33am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Problem with lustre spray is everybody I have checked is out of the pearl icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

Awwww man!!! That figures!!!!!! Because this is such a good idea!! Then, this isn't needed until December 8th...so maybe I can get some by then....

" I also do not see why you could not drape lace fabric over the cake and secure the sides down firmly with clips then just spray the whole thing with luster spray in the pearl color. Seems like that would save tons of time."

lizziesmom430 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizziesmom430 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 11:49pm
post #13 of 13

I haven't posted much but love to see what all of you guys are saying! I just had to tell you that I showed this picture to my future sis-in-law and she wants this as her wedding cake as well...the funny thing is the date is December 8th! We are in Chicago so I don't think I am stepping in on your client! LOL!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%